Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Your spirited liquid refreshment choice?? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: What types of spirited libations do you enjoy???
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [26.92%]
9 [11.54%]
19 [24.36%]
3 [3.85%]
8 [10.26%]
18 [23.08%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged  

Ahhh liquid libations!!! Spirited refreshment!

It's been way too long since we talked about this! Without discussing the merits of consuming moderate amounts of alcoholic refreshment, share your favorite drinks! You can vote more than once in this poll!!!! So, let's hear from you!!! Wine, beer, scotch, gin, tequila, or moonshine?? Or all of the above? What liquid refreshment do you enjoy unwinding with?

Do you remember these?

This Bud's for you!

If you've got the time - we've got the beer! (Miller)

Fosters - The Taste of Australia

Head for the Mountains - Busch Beer!

At Paul Masson, we will sell no wine before its time!

Got a little Captain in you? (Captain Morgan's Rum)

Jose Cuervo. Don't let go.

There's vodka and then there's Smirnoff.

Glenfiddich. Independently minded. Independently made.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged  

Well, since I write about wine, I had to vote for it. White is my preference - I love the dry Rieslings of the Mosel River and southern Italy's Fiano di Avellino and Greco di Tufo.

I like hard cider now and then (especially during Renaissance Festival season...which happens to be now...).

My grandfather made beer in his back yard (in old glass Sparkletts water bottles) and I don't know if it's because of or in spite of that fact that I am not fond of beer. At all.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 10:11pm | IP Logged  

For clarity I posted wine.. though I have quite a few that I like. But wine is about the only thing I have more than once a month (and then only if I'm not pregnant). I have pretty eclectic taste though.

some of my favorites

margaritas
daquiris
white russians (the real kind with kahlua, vodka and cream)
bushmills whiskey, no ice
dry martini with olive, no ice
hard apple cider (this is great when everyone else is drinking beer.. and I don't drink beer)
sweet white wines
some dry white wines
pinot noir (and a few other not too sour reds)
dessert wines (I've had a great raspberry one)
homemade peach brandy
ski lift (hot chocolate with butterscotch schnapps and whipped cream)
hot buttered rum

Some being more seasonal than others

ETA oh and Jen... one I remember well is.. "From the land of sky blue waters... "

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged  

Margarita. I don't drink often and when I do it is literally a shot glass of a margarita. I don't tolerate it very well. But, I do love a margarita.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 10:22pm | IP Logged  

I don't know if this is a mixed drink, but my kids (grown-up kids) introduced me to Jell-o shooters today!!

I have to say, they were tasty...
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged  

White russian or a toasted almond here!!!

I can't drink wine because of my migraines and I drank way too much beer in my youth so I can't even stand the smell of it (Much to my husband's dark stout beer loving shame)

A good mixed drink all the way !!!!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged  

Depends on the occasion!
Usually...
Wine at home
Fruity-type drinks at the beach
beer out with friends (used to be-now I can't drink beer so it's wine or wine coolers)
I have to admit lately...
MEAD has won my heart!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 11:07pm | IP Logged  

I have to admit I'm not much of a spirits drinker, but my dh loves wine. We try to take car trips up the coast to Paso Robles, CA and back through Los Olivos and Santa Barbara: when grandparents offer baby sitting (its been very few trips lately ). My favorite are the sweeter wines: Muscats or Rieslings, but of course I will have a small glass of what my dh is having I love to hear his "expert critiques" . I remember picking up a jar of chocolate sauce at Fess Parker one year, that was some great chocolate on my ice cream!!

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 9:35am | IP Logged  

I don't drink much at all, so I voted none. But IF I do have anything, it is a sip of dh's wine when we go out, and I can't let a Christmas/New Year's go by without an egg nog with a touch of blackberry brandy (which I drink to my dear grandfather "Boppy's" memory.)

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 12:47pm | IP Logged  

Where is the choice for "ALL OF THE ABOVE!"

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged  

Lara Sauer wrote:
Where is the choice for "ALL OF THE ABOVE!"

A girl after my own heart!

Like Theresa, I enjoy different drinks for different occasions and seasons:

** My overall, year-round go-to is wine. My pref is for a nice full bodied red wine, but...it's a migraine trigger for me. So...that means I take tiny sips of my dh's red, and I enjoy nice white wines. I like Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc. I don't like sweet wines.

** During the Autumnal months, I like a good cold beer with the football game, or if we're grilling out.

** For winter you'd find the fire blazing and a little Bailey's Irish Cream in hand or perhaps a Hot Toddy with either Jack Daniels or Single Malt Scotch, honey, and lemon. Actually, the hot toddy is my family's single best home recipe for a cough that really starts flaring up at night. It's so comforting as a winter drink for me.

** Summer drinks are light and refreshing, so...martini with olive, cosmopolitan, margarita with salt. I like tropical cocktails in the summer.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged  

I average about one drink a month, though it is usually more like nothing for 3-4 months, then a few glasses in a week. Once it runs out, it often takes awhile before I get more.

The most common would be white wine - red really makes me flush and get a headache.

On vacation I often order Long Island Iced Tea.

and Theresa, where are you getting mead? When I lived in upstate NY there was a meadery not far from us that we frequented. I would love to get some again but have not been able to find it online, or any other!

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged  

Karen T wrote:

and Theresa, where are you getting mead? When I lived in upstate NY there was a meadery not far from us that we frequented. I would love to get some again but have not been able to find it online, or any other!

Karen

Here is the kind I usually get:Sky River Mead
I have been able to find it in most places we've lived, from FL to AK.
Ask around!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged  

Alas, if I have alcohol these days, I fall asleep. Can't say I'm very fancy, though... if there's alcohol in our house at all, 99.9% of the time, it would be beer.

(But I voted again for hard cider. Haven't had it in ages, but !)

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 5:19pm | IP Logged  

Had to share my experience from today...

Generally we have wine a couple times a month - usually with company. (Could be beer for company or festive occasions, but I never developed a taste for it, so don't ever drink it.) I prefer white wines to red, and sweeter over dry. My husband is the opposite so it vaires what we have. We would really enjoy the opportunity to have it more frequently, but it is generally a cost issue. Well today I went to the liquor store to get a bottle of wine for tonight (we're having company ) and found a $20 in the middle of the parking lot. So...got to buy a few additional bottles, courtesy of some poor soul who dropped it...

AS I mentioned I like sweeter alcohol so mixed drinks like margaritas and kahlua and cream on occasion - though rarely. I like sangria a lot and that is a favorite summer time drink. You can use a cheaper wine and still make it very tasty though as a light-weight have to watch myself and not drink it like punch. That being said, I will also admit to liking a wine coolers - which by the way they no longer call wine coolers - only malt beverages. Bartles & Jaymes are fun guys - after Jen posted the drink brand slogans I went and found some old B & J commercials.
"Thank you for your support." (Am I dating myself ?)

And on a side note, while I was typing, my 10 year old just came up to me saying "Yessss...yesssss...yesss..." - didn't have any idea what he was talking about. He said, "You got wine...L and I get sparkling cider!"

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged  

Sparkling juices for special occasions, Izze drinks or Tazo teas for unwinding after a long day. I am awfully fond of my hot teas and chai drinks on cool/cold weather.

The only alcohol I've ever consumed has been Communion wine and Nyquil. Though I often wonder when dh and I eat out as a couple (which happens *maybe* quarterly) if wine really can enhance a meal. And I've wondered if a glass of wine in the evenings might not help me sleep sometimes. Alcoholism runs in the family, so I guess I've been overly cautious and stayed away to be safe.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged  

I voted mixed drinks, but I rarely indulge. My favorite is raspberry iced tea with a bit of Chambourd (sp?) mixed in.

Dh will often have wine with dinner and sometimes I'll steal a sip or two.

I have a feeling I'd really like mead if I ever had any!

It's not that I don't like the stuff, it's that I'm such a lightweight, and there is *rarely* a time these days I can let my guard down, unfortunately!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged  

amyable wrote:

I have a feeling I'd really like mead if I ever had any!

Yes, you would!
amyable wrote:

It's not that I don't like the stuff, it's that I'm such a lightweight, and there is *rarely* a time these days I can let my guard down, unfortunately!

I actually like to have a glass while I am making dinner. A little wine, a little music... Makes the task more pleasant. May even lead to dancing!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged  

lapazfarm wrote:
I actually like to have a glass while I am making dinner. A little wine, a little music... Makes the task more pleasant. May even lead to dancing!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 10:04pm | IP Logged  

A good pure Margarita with no additives (not from a mix), Kahlua, and a Tequila Sunrise are my favorites.

I also like wine, but not sure what kind, and a dark cold beer on the side of some yummy grilled steak in the summer time is always great as well!

Seems I'm always pregnant or nursing though! The ability for me to drink is rare!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version