Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Have you started school? When? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: When do you start schooling again? When is the new year?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [11.48%]
5 [8.20%]
16 [26.23%]
8 [13.11%]
6 [9.84%]
13 [21.31%]
3 [4.92%]
3 [4.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 3:25pm | IP Logged  

Boy it has been quiet here lately - especially today - lots of folks must be back at the books . So just curious about when everyone actually gets back to school (or if you do... - I know many school year around, too)

We just started today though I had intended to start last week. Didn't have all our books yet. First day - looks good so far .

I know this is the common time of year for the US and European folks will be on target for many of our members. Erin reminded me though that Aussies' school year is at a different part of the calendar year from us.

How about you?? Have you already started? Are you starting soon?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 3:26pm | IP Logged  

oops, and that should read week of August 30 (since that is Monday) - can't edit poll questions... , but I think you know what I mean...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged  

We started today. Easing into it, though....not doing everything yet. Our neighborhood schools go back this Wed., and we usually start when they do.

We also started the girls "staggered wake up schedule" today, which was SO MUCH BETTER! If we accomplish nothing else this year, at least I'll have a bit more peace in the morning.   

LOVE LOVE starting the new school-year! Loved it when I was a kid and love it now!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 3:54pm | IP Logged  

What a great poll! You know one of the things I love about when you start school every year...is that you're not locked in to starting that same day next year...we can start whenever!!!

We used to always start school the Monday after The Feast of the Assumption which would be mid-August. Then one year, the kids came to me and said that it was so ridiculously hot outside (for us in the south, extreme heat and extreme humidity often equal dangerous heat and the kids can only play outside in the mornings or late evenings) that they thought we should go ahead and do school and take time off in the fall when they could spend more time outside. I thought it sounded like a good idea, so I spent a couple of weeks scrambling and we rolled with it. It was one of the best years ever because I felt much more relaxed and flexible in terms of our schedule and our load. The next year we started a little earlier and I put more thought into our breaks and our routine. This year, it feels nice and settled.

I start working out plans for the next year around Feb-March and we start school in mid-June after taking a 4 - 6 week break. We take a week off in between every 8 week term (we work with (4) 8 week terms) which really helps all of us with burnout! I can reflect, adjust, tidy, organize, address needs...and the kids can wind down, play, and just "be". I've noticed that my younger students do better with a shorter break over the summer because they don't have such a long stretch. The shorter break means there is more retention with subject matter.

So...that's how we ended up in a year-round school schedule that works well for our family!

What a fun poll!!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 4:08pm | IP Logged  

Actually, we finished week 5 last week, and now this momma needs a week off---so we are having a week of vacation!!!    That's why I like starting early, after a couple weeks of vacation we a right back at it. But I have found that I don't have the stamina to school of a whole semester straight....I need of week of rest and down time here and there....
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 4:28pm | IP Logged  

We started Aug 16. Two weeks down already and it is going great!
I actually planned my starting date so we could end the semester before Christmas and not carry over after the break. We should have 18 weeks done by Dec 17. Then we can have a nice long break, start up Jan 10, and be done by mid-may, even with a week off at Easter.
I personally would rather end the year early than start late. We tend to get antsy in the spring.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged  

I'm in the midst of trying to get the house more where I want it for when this baby comes.. I spent the weekend getting out fall clothes though it's a bit early.. but the stress of leaving it or getting into the middle of it and going into labor was driving me nuts.. so we put everything else on pause and did that.. I'm finishing up the socks today.

So I figure we'll have caught up on the house again.. and I might even make more progress on my room by next week and it'll be a good time to start school.. I might be missing a couple of things but those can be started a bit later.. I have enough to get going. And dh can take over school if I go into labor much easier than he can figure out what I'm trying to do for the house

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged  

We'll start a bit next week after Labor Day. I'm not ready. Not to sound like a corny homeschooler, but our learning didn't stop in the summer, but it was a freestyle learning, with lots of connections, but no recording or plans.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged  

Oh, I am SOOO late this year.

We technically school year round with 3 months on and one month off but with this impromptu move at the end of August, we are in a whirlwind of boxes and such so we'll be starting next Tuesday.

I have two darling friends coming at the end of this week to help me plan out my school room so I hope we'll be ready to start by then

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged  

We started two weeks ago but transitioned in slowly, so last Thursday was my highschooler's first "full day" and my 2nd grader started in full today.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged  

We started Aug 2 so going into our 5th week. I prob. wouldn't have started that early but with a new baby expected in about 4 weeks, I wanted to get a full quarter in before then. We're plugging along on our very basics still but they start homeschool classes Sept. 13 that will cover all the extras I just don't have time or energy for right now.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged  

We started the new school year the first week of June. We finished our first quarter (summer session) this past Friday. This week is a transition week to the second quarter (fall session.)

When the children were younger, we didn't have a start or end to the "school year." Once the older children started high school at home, it made sense to give them start/finish dates. Because it is so hot here and for the most part, life is slower, we love doing formal work through the summer...we feel "ahead", instead of worrying about being "behind."

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged  

Great Poll,
I guess you ladies know that Aussies start there school year in february. Yep our hottest time of the year and we start back at school- probably similar to you all.
So do we school through our summer break. No we don't but I take there are certainly teaching moments.
for this reason, I put 'other time of the year'.
we geberaly start back from St John Boscos feast day onward.
leanne

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged  

We're starting next week... and I am really, really not ready.

Matter of fact, I should be working on that right now.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged  

We started Aug. 16. We have come across a few glitches so we are in the midst of tweaking some things and will see if that will help our problems.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged  

Started Aug.2 here.... like so many people have said, summer in the south is a form of "house jail"

The kids are doing really well with the school mornings. The afternoons still tend to be long, though, with everyone being hot and cranky. Next year I hope to start even earlier- maybe mid-July.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged  

We have always started the day after Labor Day...it's one of those things we've traditionally done just to remind ourselves what a blessing it is to be homeschooling. No matter when a homeschooling family begins, ends or continues their homeschooling year, it's absolutely the right time for them! I maintain that homeschoolers can never be behind...we create our own schedules...we have the freedom to follow whatever pattern best suits our individual families! Don't you love it?! Have a blessed, grace-filled, holy homeschooling year, whatever timeframe you're following!

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged  

We started the first week of August with just math drills (for everyone), nature study (everyone), spelling dd (6), latin (dd 10), easy 100 lessons (ds 5) and narrations for everyone (whatever they were reading). Then last week we introcued all our new books and other topics: history, poetry, art, copy work, geography, recorder, science, literature, language arts, and religion. This worked out great because the younger ones were able to get right into a full school day without to much moaning. I have to admit this was our first easy transition into our school year since we started three years ago . I really think its the new approach to our schooling. They loved looking at all the living books they are going to be using.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 9:17pm | IP Logged  

Well done Jenny. It takes time to find out what works for everyone doesn't it.
We stumbled across a new approach as well

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 5:05am | IP Logged  

We always started in early August and we always started mid-week. Last year, we vacationed in early August, so we started in September when the schools start in the UK. It made our year very long. And I think it was hard for me to adjust to all the breaks that they take for mid-term, etc.

So this year we went back to early August but we had a lighter schedule and we took time off for other activities. Public school starts here late this week or early next week depending on your comprehensive school.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version