Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: Living Math Books- Multiplication Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 1:30am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dd8 needs a different approach to multiplication so I thought buying some living maths books a good place to start.

Looking at Living Math multiplication recommendations I think I have narrowed my list down to the following, but I'd love some feedback. If you think them too young for an 8yr old, not interesting enough for an average math student etc or if you want to add some must haves please do.

Anno's Mysterious Multiplying - Anno Masaichiro
Spaghetti and Meatballs for All - Marilyn Burns
Math for All season - Greg Tang
The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat - Theoni Pappas
Grapes of Math - Greg Tang
Sir Cumference and all the King's Tens - Cindy Neuschwander

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I think the Greg Tang books are great. I would also add The Best of Times. It has helpful hints/strategies for remembering the times tables through clever rhymes.   It's not so much a concept book as a strategy book. I think your other choices look good as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 2:48am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thanks for the Greg Tang vote On the Living Math site the author admitted Best of Times wasn't her favourite. What are your thoughts?

I'm all confused now, I've just been reading Macbeth's Math page and some of my choices appear to not really be multiplication books.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 3:17am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erin wrote:
Thanks for the Greg Tang vote On the Living Math site the author admitted Best of Times wasn't her favourite. What are your thoughts?

It depends on what you want it for. As I mentioned it is not a multiplication concept book, so it isn't going to teach the overall concept. But if you have the concept more or less down it has clever ways to remember the times tables so it is a strategy book for that particular part of it.

Erin wrote:
I'm all confused now, I've just been reading Macbeth's Math page and some of my choices appear to not really be multiplication books.

Well Anno's multipying one is really about factorials which are higher level, but I think can be presented with multiplication. It's a simple enough intro in the Anno book.

Sir Cumference is a place value book. But place value of tens does help with multiplication.

Another specific multiplication book is Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I wouldn't consider the Penrose book a multiplication book. It's more geometry and other things.

Is she struggling to memorize the facts or to get the concept of multiplication down?

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

You may want to check out this math book resource created for Massachusetts teachers. Scroll down to the section on Connecting Math and literature. When you click on a grade it will give you a list of books. If the topic of the book is not obvious from the title (like the Hershey Multiplication Book) then they put it in parentheses after the title. Most of these you can get easily through the library system if you have convenient access to one.

While Julie has outstanding recommendations and is a great place to start, you just don't know what will click with your kids. And to buy all of them would get quite expensive!

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary

I'd like to get Amanda Bean's book, it is just that it is rather pricey. Thanks for clearing up about the other books.

Janette

I'll cross Penrose off the list then.
It is more of an issue that she isn't interested. We are talking a bright but lazy child. I was hoping by capturing her interest she will be more open to learning.

Kris
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out
Unfortunately although we have a library it has no maths books. They decided to throw out anything more than 10 years old So all the books I have previously used have disappeared.
Time to start my own collection.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Erin, have you looked at using website games/activities to spark interest? Computers, board games and hand-held electronics (like TurboTwist) have always helped spark interest here.

MathCats

multiplication games (I've not used this site before.)

These two threads list more sites:
math games
online math games

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Janette,

I did think of board games but the only one we have, Number Quest could be beyond her yet. Maybe I should give it a go anyway.

She really is not interested in the computer(my boys are astounded ) but I could suggest it to her.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

This would astound my boys too, Erin!

I hadn't heard of Number Quest but looked it up and think you should try it. You can try other dice and card games too with online instructions.

Does she like Murderous Maths series? Some of my boys like them.

My boys love Star Wars so they were much more willing to do online drill games and such if they were Star Wars themed. Is there something she likes that would encourage online practice?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Another suggestion - Each Orange Had 8 Slices (Paul Giganti, illustrated by Donald Crews)

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version