Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Teen babysitters and training courses? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: Hiring a teen to babysit, do you prefer they have a training course?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [80.00%]
1 [10.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged  

For those of you who hire teenagers to babysit, do you prefer those who have completed a babysitting training course?

Share your experience and any thoughts you have on babysitting training courses. Thanks!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged  

The local hospital offers a nice course for babysitters. I have my kids take the course when they are about 10. It covers first aid, CPR, and emergency response. It also has a class about age appropriate activities with little kids.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 17 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged  

My dd took a combination babysitting and first aid class at our local library. She received a certificate that was good for a year. No one who hired her to babysit asked about it, but she was glad she did it and it gave her confidence - especially regarding first aid.

In retrospect, I'm glad she took it and would recommend this type of formal traing/certification. It is a form of protection for her if the worst occurs and there is an accident on her duty. The certification can act as a formal proof of her ability to do the job.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged  

I would only have a younger girl(ie 12-15) to babysit if she has taken the course or has a lot of experience with younger siblings. If they are older, and have been babysitting others for a while it wouldn't bother me either way.
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 17 2010 at 1:19pm | IP Logged  

I didn't have to take a babysitting course as a teen (I started babysitting when I was 11), but after I worked as a home daycare provider I realized how important those safety and CPR classes were...because I had to use what I learned.

My dd will turn 13 next year (the legal age for babysitting in my state) and she already knows I won't let her start to babysit until she takes a training course - one with CPR.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged  

This poll closes on Saturday. Please vote!

Any more ideas on where these classes are offered?

Love,

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged  

Angie Mc wrote:

Any more ideas on where these classes are offered?

My scouts got trained at camp, so if you have any boys that want to babysit...

If you just need a refresher there's an iPod/iPhone app available.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2010 at 12:28pm | IP Logged  

Poll closes today. Thanks for participating!

Love,

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version