Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Is your favorite picture book...? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: Is your favorite picture book...?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [18.75%]
10 [20.83%]
14 [29.17%]
2 [4.17%]
3 [6.25%]
7 [14.58%]
3 [6.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 10:27pm | IP Logged  

Tell us about your favorite picture book! Vote for as many choices as is fitting. You will need to vote one at a time (click on one poll choice and vote, repeat.)

Thank you for participating!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 10:58pm | IP Logged  

Seven Silly Eaters. I just love this book. The pictures are so wonderful. One of the biggest reasons I love this book is watching the inside of the house get more cluttered with life as they add children.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 8:59am | IP Logged  

We have a tie- Llama llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney and Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney. :)

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged  

Angie, just how can one decide on a "favorite" picture book? So, I'll just pick one of many here - Song of the Swallows (Leo Politi) - it is an old one introduced to me at CCM (before the 4 Real days).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged  

MaryM wrote:
Angie, just how can one decide on a "favorite" picture book?   

I've never been good at deciding a favorite ANYTHING. These sorts of questions always make me feel especially flighty, lol.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 10:48am | IP Logged  

MaryM wrote:

Oh the suffering to choose .

While walking this morning I pondered this question and was surprised by the first book that popped into my mind, Officer Buckle and Gloria. I found this book when it was hot off the presses, have no idea how, although I think a hsing friend who was a real book junkie recommended it.

Picture books weren't a big part of my childhood, I only remember an over-sized Madeline book that I borrowed over and over from the tiny school library. As a young adult and education major in college, I started collecting picture books but none of them stand out in my mind.

My best guess as to why Officer Buckle and Gloria stands out is because it was the first book that captured my whole family's attention...the first book that we "lived" together. We laughed and still laugh today reading it. This was the beginning of seeing picture books as something more than an adult reading a book to a child - the end. Picture books could be a way to touch many different emotions. They could show us days gone by and today. They could become a part of our family culture.

I almost feel pressured to vote for a classic, perhaps a book that objectively is among the best of the best of picture books based on story, illustration, and longevity. But the truth is, Officer Buckle and Gloria is *our* first book. Praise God there would be many more to come .

Love,     

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 10:49am | IP Logged  

CrunchyMom wrote:
MaryM wrote:

I've never been good at deciding a favorite ANYTHING. These sorts of questions always make me feel especially flighty, lol.

LOL, me too.

I think my favorite book is Miss Rumphius (and so I voted as such), but I have other almost-just-as-favorite books, like Fish Out of Water which was from my childhood but I love it now because it is my 2yo son's favorite. And my Great Aunt Arizona which I love just because. And all the Boynton books because my kids act them out every day.

I guess I am leaning heavily towards newer books, so I guess I voted appropriately anyway. :)

ETA: And Roxaboxen! I love that book!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Turtle
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 12:42pm | IP Logged  

I had to choose "other". There's no way I could pick just one. I think I could have a most favorite for each category. To paraphrase one of my favorite cartoon strips, choosing one favorite picture book is like going into McD's and eating just one french fry!
Back to Top View Turtle's Profile Search for other posts by Turtle

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged  

Turtle wrote:
There's no way I could pick just one.    

You all are cracking me up! No pressure, really. As long as we're having fun with this poll, we can be as committal or noncommittal as we like .

I LOVE each book that has been shared so far .

Love,

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged  

No way.
Choosing a favorite picture book is like choosing a favorite child!LOL! Ok, well maybe not quite, but it is quite impossible because I love different ones for different reasons.

I love Where the Wild Things Are because I loved it as a child and so have all of my children and grandchildren.

I love The Big Honey Hunt because my first child loved it so and it was my first experience of reading a favorite book over and over and over to my own child. We both still have it memorized 20 years later.

I love The Kissing Hand because my tenderhearted son loved it when he was little and melted my heart when he insisted I kiss his hand before going anywhere.

I love Beatrice Potter books because, well, what's not to love?

I love all of the Jan Brett books because of the gorgeous illustrations that make you want to look and look.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 2:13pm | IP Logged  

Well, of course, I'm in the same boat. Picture books are so varied it's hard to find a favorite. I will mention four, though, just because I can't narrow much farther.

One is from childhood, Night's Nice by Barbara and Ed Emberley. It's one of those comfort books.

Tied for second are two favorites after I became a mother: Runaway Bunny and Goodnight Moon. They evoke the same feelings as the my childhood favorite.

But if I was in a fire, my ultimate favorite I would save first would be one I found in some sale by Elizabeth Orton Jones, Song of the Sun, from the Canticle of the Sun. The illustrations just draw me in with the detail and reverence and awe, especially in the detailed nature drawings.

Oh, I just remembered my new favorite. I only found out about it when I was going through the list of Caldecott Awards, called The Ageless Story by Lauren Ford. I blogged about it last year and my article appeared in Sacred Music. That book is a treasure, uniting my love for my Catholic Faith, history, calligraphy, Gregorian Chant and well-illustrated picture books.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged  

KC in TX wrote:
Seven Silly Eaters. I just love this book. The pictures are so wonderful. One of the biggest reasons I love this book is watching the inside of the house get more cluttered with life as they add children.

That's the one that came to mind first for me, too. Goodnight Moon is another favorite, though

God bless,
Christine

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 3:29pm | IP Logged  

Angie Mc wrote:

While walking this morning I pondered this question and was surprised by the first book that popped into my mind, Officer Buckle and Gloria. I found this book when it was hot off the presses, have no idea how, although I think a hsing friend who was a real book junkie recommended it.

Oh Angie,

Officer Buckle and Gloria is the first book that I ever read to a class full of children on my first day of Student teaching many moons ago! I love it and now so do my kids.

I voted for a favorite from childhood but I need to add "other" too.

My favorite picture book when I was young was Moving Molly by Shirley Hughes. I loved to pictures and the thought of an undiscovered place next door.

BUT... When I was in college I took the most amazing Children's Lit. class and I had to study 100 picture books for the class and I found my two other favorites:

Tops & Bottoms by Janet Stevens...such a wonderful book about laziness and a clever hare and how he takes advantage of a lazy bear.

A Bad Case of Stripes by Davis Shannon. If you have a child that eats some things that other children think are gross this is the book for you. A book about finding what YOU love and being that person.

Oh, I love books!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 4:00pm | IP Logged  

Mimip wrote:
BUT... When I was in college I took the most amazing Children's Lit. class and I had to study 100 picture books for the class.

I haven't heard of yours! Lots of ideas for me! But your post reminded me how I was introduced to They Were Strong and Good and Munro Leaf's Ferdinand and Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag. I always liked B&W illustrations, but these cinched it. I know...adding more favorites. This kind of thread makes me crazy with ideas.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged  

I feel absolutely no pressure to limit myself.

One of my absolute favorites is Sara Squirrel and the Lost Acorns by Julie Sykes. Beautiful, rich illustrations. It's dear to all of us. It's just one of those special books that equals heart-warming, comfortable, tender. "A crunchy leaf, a juicy berry, and acorns for me." Just saying it makes me smile.

Another favorite is an oldie that was discovered through a used book store find - The Biggest Bear by Lynd Ward. This is my 5 yo's favorite book. It's all boy, but still tender. And we can't read it without getting a little bit of maple sugar.

The book I'm reading most often to my 2 yo right now is Good Little Bad Little Girl by Esther Wilkin. Highly collectible now - I'm very fortunate that I have the copy my mom used to read to me...when I was a "good little, bad little girl". It's dear. A treasure. And...I love anything illustrated by Eloise Wilkin.

ALL THINGS TASHA TUDOR...my littlest just loves A is for Annabelle and one of our favorite fall books is Pumpkin Moonshine. And MY favorite is A Time to Keep.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Pussy Willow by Margaret Wise Brown, our favorite spring book. And then Ferdinand of course, Blueberries for Sal, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel. I'm seriously holding back!

Our favorite Catholic picture book would probably be Jacinta's Story by Andrea Phillips or Our Lady Goes a-Maying by Mother Mary Paula Williamson.

There. How'd I do? I managed to drop 12 favorites in! With absolutely NO GUILT!!!!!    I managed to vote in absolutely every single category, thus negating my vote. It was the best I could do...I actually WAS restrained!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 6:11am | IP Logged  

I think my all time favourite picture book was one I read as a Nanny, whilst living in the UK Pre children.
Peepo!- Janet & Allen Ahlberg. I read it over and over to my darlings.
My other, which I think we can all relste to from time to time is "Peace at last"- Jill Murphy Macmillan books.

If i thought about it long enough, it would be an impossible decision.
Leanne

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

teamommy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 11:27pm | IP Logged  

I had to vote for one from my childhood, and that one is A Time to Keep. It is actually the only picture book I remember reading as a child. Other favorites are The Rattlebang Picnic by Margaret Mahy (..."How wise we were to have seven children instead of a speedy new car"), Peter in Blueberry Land by Elsa Beskow, and any book by Maj Lindman.
Back to Top View teamommy's Profile Search for other posts by teamommy

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 8:09am | IP Logged  

I clicked on "other", so here is my explanation. There are a few from childhood among my favorites. But, when my children were small we caught on to a couple of big-time favorites that we read in the pediatrician's waiting room. The two biggest hits are The Gunniwolf (which I read in different voices, singing certain parts - can't believe I just admitted that. ); and The Boy Who Ate Around, which is an absolutely hilarious story of a boy who "ate around" the offensive vegetables on his dinner plate. But what he ate! Oh my goodness! And then, he couldn't contain all he ate, so it all reappears, shall we say. I know - it sounds like it has great potential to be disgusting, but it isn't - just hilarious.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged  

This is keeping me up at night

We also love Officer Buckle and Gloria for the same reasons Angie stated.
I remember reading it over and over andover to my ds when he was 4.

I also love "Little Farm by the Sea" and the My First LIttle House books (the pictures are so wonderful).

I have a great fondness for The Tomten... I love the Tomtem quietly visiting everyone sleeping on the farm, leaving his tiny footprints.

So many... I could keep going.... it almost makes me dizzy!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version