Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: keeping track of library books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Please tell me how you keep track of your hundreds of library books for multiple children without losing any or incurring enormous fines. We're about to move to a city with a real library, which I hope to use, but we *always* end up losing several library books a year through use. Then I get in trouble with the librarians.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Angela, were these library books ever found? Did you see a pattern in the losing?

I tend to corral the books freqently during the week. We check out many. My mother keeps commenting out loud on how can someone who owns so many books would need to check out so many.

We have a "library books" corner with several library bags, so it's the station to put all library books when not in use. That is easier said than done, of course.

I try to keep the books within the house, or only allowed in the car, but not taken outside of the car or home. Even with those rules, I find books in the oddest of places.

Our library gives a print-out when we check the books out, and also being able to see the books out online. When I get a notice of books being due or library day, I start rounding them up.

My sister has two shelves to hold her library books. I thought that was such a great idea. My problem is I don't have the extra shelf space to do it, or if I do, it's not in the family area that I can keep an eye on it.

So, probably everything you already do and nothing brilliant to add.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I really like Library Elf. We've had it for about a year now. We pay the extra money to have both our accounts on it, but its free for a single account. I get an e-mail every day which tells me which books are due soon, which are overdue, and if I have any holds (and when the holds are about to expire). I still pay fines and miss pick-ups from time to time, but MUCH MUCH less than before.

I, too, have a special "place" for library books, but it isn't a perfect system by any stretch.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lindsay, does your library have email notifications?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Like Jenn and Lindsay have already mentioned, we have a special place that ONLY library books live when they come home. I have used a variety of special library spaces - shelves, bags, baskets - and keep very close tabs on that space and those books much like a...well...library! Since I have independent readers that like to read in their rooms I keep the printout with the books listed on them clipped to a clipboard near the bookshelf. The children put their initials next to a book when they take it off my shelf to read, and they put a check mark over their initials when they return the book. If the book is missing or late, I check to see who the last person to read the book/remove it from my shelf was, and their allowance money pays the fee. I keep the library shelf/baskets/bags in a very visible family space so that I can see when toddlers or littles remove books. We tidy living spaces several times a day so I'm just very attentive about swishing library books back into place.

Nothing new or exciting here either...what you need is MaryM to chime in!!!! Now, she's a library queen!!!!!! I'd love to know how she manages her library haul!!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
Lindsay, does your library have email notifications?

Only one, like when your hold first comes in, the day your book is actually overdue, etc... Each e-mail from library elf keeps a running tab on the current situation "3 holds about to expire" and lists them "4 items due within 3 days" etc...

I think I actually get separate e-mails when it gets close to a deadline for the specific notification with subject lines like what I quoted above.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

My situation isn't as complicated since I don't have independent readers, but we do have at least 100 books out at a time and have never had a fine or lost book since we moved here three years ago.

My secret is to go to the library every week on the same day of the week. For me, that's Saturdays. On Thursdays, I access each account and make a list of what is due that week. On Fridays, I gather all the books into the library bag and set it by the door, ready to go. On Saturday mornings when I'm out running errands, I return all the books and pick up our holds. On Saturday afternoons, I place all our requests online: first, books that are due the next week that we'll need another copy of, and then books on my to-be-ordered lists. And then the cycle starts again. The reason this works for me is because I know I never have anything due other than on Saturdays, so no last-minute trips to the library during the week, no checking the account to see when things are due.

My other trick is to keep all children's library books and CDs in our family room, where our children's bookshelves are and where we do most of our reading. I bring them into other rooms when we're going to read elsewhere, but the children aren't allowed to take them anywhere. But like I said, I don't have independently-reading children to contend with.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote violingirl

I do a combination of things listed above. We have 100-ish books checked out at any one time, so some of these rules are necessary for me.

First, audio books are only allowed in the van unless *I* bring it in and keep track of it.

Second we have designated baskets for library books- 1 for the current topic (currently continents and oceans), 1 for the books they pick out on their own, 1 for easy readers that DS1 uses and a crate for me and DH. I know that we can fit about 20 books in each basket, so I keep that limit on the boys when they pick out their own books.

Third, I don't have independent readers yet, but I have made it clear to the boys that library books belong only in the living room (where the book baskets are) or in a designated spot on their nightstand. Library books found in other places means that no one can use them upstairs for awhile.

Fourth, during the school year when my schedule is full we only go to the library on Saturdays. It makes all the due dates fall on Saturdays, which is lovely! I check our account online on Thursday, gather books on Friday and we're ready to go Saturday morning. We also have the option to get notices in email, but I log into our account at least twice a week anyway, and it's simple to check the upcoming due dates whenever I'm placing holds.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Darn. I was hoping for some magic formula.

Lindsay, I was disappointed to see that neither our library here in NY or our new library is supported by Library Elf.

To be honest, I do not know how some of the books get lost. I think they go where the socks that get lost in the wash go. I do allow my little boys to take books into their room to look at in bed and I sometimes allow them in the van, but NOT inside doctor's offices, etc. My big kids check out a small number of books on their own cards and keep those books in their rooms. I do try to keep our library trips always on the same day so they all have the same due date, but then there are renewals and sometimes the kids get sick or we're out of town or there isn't time... on the other hand, I think this will get easier at our new library, because it will be open many, many more hours than our current library. Even -- gasp! -- on Saturdays and Mondays!

Recently we did find some of the lost books under/behind pieces of furniture. I set them out on a table to bring back to the library before we moved. My husband packed them.

Jen -- I have to know -- how do you train your kids to use a home check-out system?? I think I would have to be on my kids all the time, if I even remembered.

I'm thinking that maybe we're just too ADD as a family ... one of the worst offenders is my husband, who routinely loses books I know not where. Fortunately, he doesn't check out many books!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

No help here, just self-confessing as a member of the "I paid enough in fines to build the new wing of my library" club.

Seriously, my husband tells me "Please just buy the book. It's cheaper in the long run."

And this with email notifications and online renewals and every other tool/resource imaginable. I'm pathetic!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Anglela

I have a friend who has a couple of wooden boxes in her lounge room and all books have to stay there, children are only allowed to read library books in that room.

I just can't get that to work here. We also don't have Library Elf, sometimes I try to write reminders on my outlook so I'm reminded but most times I forget that too.

Generally I just try to gather as many books as possible before heading to the library, I can also check our cards online to see what we still have before we head to town.

Is your problem more keeping physical track, or mental track of what you have borrowed?

As you are packing are you finding those missing books? If so where?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:

Nothing new or exciting here either...what you need is MaryM to chime in!!!! Now, she's a library queen!!!!!! I'd love to know how she manages her library haul!!!!!

I may be the check out queen (average 200 checked out - up to 300 sometimes), but I'm certainly not the organization queen... Jen, you are way more organized than I. A lot of what we do has been suggested already. We do the crate/shelf method and contain them to two rooms (and nightstands). Though older kids (for instance dd who is now a teen) have own card and keep track of own books. Otherwise everything goes onto shelves or into crates by subject/topic for ones I have a lot of.

Celeste has a great track record! I wish I could say we haven't had any fines or losses, but I think ours have been pretty minimal overall. I average about $2 a month in fines - mostly on magazines and videos because they have a very short check out period (1 week), no renewals and only a 2 day grace period . But I don't mind those fines. I figure it's the least I can do for a donation to the fine library system. As far as losses, we have only "lost" 4 books I think in 20 years - and three of those did eventually turn up. That doesn't count the child development book I thought I lost but my oldest son purposely hid when he was 7 - that's another story . I do claims return on many books because often it is the library that "lost" them and they turn up on the shelf.

I rely on the computer to keep track. I print out my lists and sort when they are coming up to being due.   I use the system also in that there is a 39 day grace period for all juvenile materials. So I have some time to find anything that might be out of place. I also renew all materials out to their maximum renewal period.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Sanveann
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote Sanveann

Mine are also little and don't read independently, but all library books "live" on our piano. As soon as we read one, it goes right back there. (It's also high enough -- it's an upright piano -- that the kids can't reach the books by themselves!)
Back to Top View Sanveann's Profile Search for other posts by Sanveann

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Lori wrote:
No help here, just self-confessing as a member of the "I paid enough in fines to build the new wing of my library" club.

Seriously, my husband tells me "Please just buy the book. It's cheaper in the long run."

And this with email notifications and online renewals and every other tool/resource imaginable. I'm pathetic!

LOL- Can I join the club?? I picked up a couple of "impulse borrows" for my husband once that looked like s/t he might be interested in, and he looked at me and asked, "how much are these going to cost me?"

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Trinity
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2010 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Trinity

Some libraries will print out a list of the books you check out.

I try to keep library books in one or two stacks at home so we have them in one place.

I always check out the same number of books for each child. Then when it comes time to return them, I gather them up and count to make sure they are all there.
Back to Top View Trinity's Profile Search for other posts by Trinity

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

Here's what I do:

We have a designated Library Day once a week. Right now it is Mondays, and probably will be for the next semester, anyhow.

Since all materials are checked out for either 7, 14 or 21 days, all items checked out on a Monday are due on a Monday. Every Monday morning, during our morning break from school, I log onto the online catalog and check my cards (we have three). I note each item due back that day, then collect them up in a large tote. I also bring back anything we are done with, even if it isn't due yet. If we aren't done with something, I renew it and it is due in another 14 days (still on a Monday).

(I use Evernote to do this. I copy and paste the books due back, into Evernote on my desktop. Then, when I launch Evernote on my iPhone the list is automatically there. Saves paper and ink.)

At home, we have a designated library shelf for all library books. This is in the dining room, where we "do school" and store all of our school materials. They are supposed to be kept there when not being read. We are pretty good (not perfect) at this. Any CDs or videos are kept on a special shelf with our other media near the TV. It is a shelf just for library and Netflix things. Yes, I usually keep my current book on my nightstand. There have certainly been Monday mornings when the boys have had to look through their room for a book due back.

My husband likes things picked up when he comes home, so having a designated place is really a blessing. I try to limit us to about 50 books at a time, as well. We live in a small space and too many books won't fit on the shelf, then they are out in stacks and my husband is not at his happiest

Someone else mentioned Library Elf. I loved that site. I used it all the time, until our library system changed catalog software and it is no longer compatible. I relied on LE to text message me when I had a book overdue, or one ready to be picked up. That was nice.

Our system works for us. I think having the designated day is a huge part of keeping it organized. I only have to think of library books once a week.

Our library system waives any late fees for children's materials. So the pressure is off a little there. Young Adult and Adult materials still carry fines, though.

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 14 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Susana

I'm working on organizing the classroom, but I definitely think that having an "Inbox" and "Outbox" basket on a table or shelf is what I'm going to try and do. New books go in the "Inbox", books that we are done with go in the "Outbox". It can get pretty unorganized and crazy if there is no system, especially with a larger family! :)

Cherishedheart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Cherishedheart

We have a few book baskets/boxes that we keep in one place.
The children generally sit around that area and read the books.
The older children are very good at returning anything taken to their rooms too.

Our library has a VERY generous return policy BUT only on children's cards. So I never get anything out on my card as it is a strict and immediate fine.

I must admit we have had our library books for quite some time...read months before incurring a fine.

We just keep renewing even when they are overdue.
Our library loves us though as we are very good customers.

I did a blog post recently on our latest haul here
http://cherishedheartsathome.blogspot.com/2010/08/our-librar y-haul.html

God Bless

baby Trahaearn
Cherished Hearts At Home
Back to Top View Cherishedheart's Profile Search for other posts by Cherishedheart Visit Cherishedheart's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote florasita

I could not live without the library ! online online online is my secret Our library system is all online . I check my account and renew like that . when we had no computer I did this at the library once per week . I do not like email notification as I get so much email. our library has both phone and email option so I chose phone option . If I do not pick up then it goes right to the answering machine . so I never miss it , once again though I can just check my account online to see what is on hold , due & renew . get this your account even has a wishlist just like at amazon how cool is that . so I can go and see what books I wish to order come our winter term in summer and save them to my list until I wish to order .
We rarely use the boys library cards if we do they only are allowed a few books at a time . childrens books do not carry hefty fines as adult books do so even when we've had an overdue it is not to much to cover the cost. we also only get movies from the library no video store .
A couple things I learned never take out juvenile paper back with no title listed ! yikes if you misplace one of those without the title , well you have no idea what juvenile pb you are looking for ! these are like generic or popular scholastic type books most pb books are listed under their title .
the other tip always stand and watch them check in your movies , or books you may know to be expensive if it goes missing . I had a movie I returned not be checked in and it went missing I had to purchase a new copy for the library so now I stand and make sure they get checked in .

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Mine are little so we're not checking out near the number of books you ladies are! We have between 20 and 50 checked out normally- less since the baby has been born and I have been getting back into the swing of keeping track of everything.

We have a box that all library materials are kept in and I try to encourage them to only have one or two books out at a time. The box is kept in my bedroom and the door is kept shut during the day. The bigger kids can go in there but it keeps the 2 year old out (and out of my jewlery box, her other favorite place to find 'treasure'!)

I use our library's webpage to check which books are due and which I can renew, and also to put new things on hold.

Our library is a satellite branch so most of the good stuff has to come from the main branch- I put a LOT of things on hold.

Once a week (right now it's Saturdays, but during the school year they have more hours and a story time on Friday mornings, so that's when we go) we go to the library and return and get the things that are on hold.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version