Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Your own Expanded "Catholic Mosaic" List? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 07 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

I was wondering if there is a list of additional picture books that everyone likes to use to help celebrate the Liturgical year? Books that may not have been included in the Catholic Mosaic book? I thought it would be neat to have a list of picture books, both in Catholic Mosaic and not, organized by month and feast day.

I have a Liturgical year file and have 3x5 lined cards on the front of each month's file folder listing the books I have or can buy/check out for that month's feast days. I think a master list compiled by the ladies here would be absolutely wonderful! Cay did a wonderful job with Catholic Mosaic, but of course there are books that may have come out since publishing that are not included as suggestions. One that comes to mind is, Lucia, St. of Light.

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 07 2010 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

Catholic Picture Books List Example:
(Books with an * are included as a study in Catholic Mosaic)

January:

February:

March:

April:

May:

June:

July:

August:

September:

October:

November:

December:
12- The Lady of Guadalupe by Tomie de Paola*
13- Lucia, St. of Light by Katherine Bolger Hyde

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Susana

I remember a prior discussion of titles of mosaic quality.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 14 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Susana

Jenn,
I'd love to see what you have! I've checked out your choices for books on St. Francis of Assisi before and you do such a good job of letting us know what's out there!

Erin,
I'll have to comb through that list and try and organize them in order of month/date. It helps me to be organized and have the titles arranged by date :)

RyaneM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 14 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote RyaneM

Thanks for posting this, Susana. I was just going through Catholic Mosaic last night trying to figure out what we are going to do this year and what add-ons I am going to use.

Looking forward to the responses.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 14 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Susana

We'd love to see your list when finished if you have time to share

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 3:15am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm hoping to chime in here, too, but don't want to do the work if Jenn already has... .

I guess we should just start adding, even one at a time.

Leo Politi has several. Unfortunately moat are out of print, but definitely worth finding if you can.

A Boat for Pepe (St. Rosalia, Sept. 4 - not about her per se but about the celebration of her feast day by Italian immagrants)
Saint Francis and the Animals (St. Francis, OCt. 4)
The Mission Bell (Bl. Junipero Serra, July 1)
Pedro, the Angel of Olivera Street (Nativity, Posadas, Dec. 16-24)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
I'm hoping to chime in here, too, but don't want to do the work if Jenn already has... .

Do speak up, if you have ideas! I'm in the middle of my picture books, and I do find I have many out-of-print titles that I use. And I don't have or read all the Catholic Mosaic titles, so that makes my list very customized.

And Mary, you know picture books way more than I do!

Love Leo Politi's books. We added Juanita which has been reprinted for our Easter reading.

And Pedro: The Angel of Olvera Street, which Mary mentioned before, has been reprinted!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I have returned to this project after a long sabatical. Please keep it in your prayers and that I find the time I need to keep the list in order.

I'd love to hear your opinions of newer books and suggestions.

Glad to see this was started here. Keep 'em coming.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

I hate to come here and not add anything, but I'm just letting you all know I'm thinking on it! Also, I'm heading up a CM co-op with some other ladies and I'm hoping to pull some great books from them, too! When I do, I'll let you all know.

Especially you, Cay!

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

I'm due any day now with baby #6, but I'll be back here trying to post and fill in dates with books too :)

Thanks to Cay and everyone. I'm excited! I wonder if we should add media like DVD's and CD's too here?

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Susana wrote:

Thanks to Cay and everyone. I'm excited! I wonder if we should add media like DVD's and CD's too here?

Yes, definitely!!!!!!
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I have one book that I consider Mosasic quality that isn't on the origional list.

Its The Secret World of Hildegard. Her feast day is on September 17.

At this time I like to play some selections of her music as well. The CD The Origin of Fire: Music and Visions of Hildegard von Bingen by Anonymous 4 is my favorite.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Betsy,
Thank you for mentioning this book. I'm excited! My library has it.

I will definitely pick it up and see. Exploring picture books w/ Mosaic qualities gives me the goosebumps.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I just wanted to point out these recent comments by Pope Benedict that fit nicely with The Seceret World of St. Hildegard.

Pope speaks on medieval mystic, Hildegard of Bingen

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Betsy wrote:
The Secret World of Hildegard. Her feast day is on September 17.

I just picked this up yesterday at the library and like it. I only wish it was a full size picture book, so the illustrations were bigger.   

Good "additional info" in the back of the book that could lead to a few little rabbit trails.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SuzanneG wrote:
Betsy wrote:
The Secret World of Hildegard. Her feast day is on September 17.

I just picked this up yesterday at the library and like it. I only wish it was a full size picture book, so the illustrations were bigger.   

Good "additional info" in the back of the book that could lead to a few little rabbit trails.

I personally would have to pass on this one, and I'm not usually one to disagree with Suzanne.

I have a few reservations. Hildegard of Bingen was a very holy religious woman of the Middle Ages. She did marvelous things, but truly if they were "secret" because she wasn't doing it for herself, but for the honor and glory of God. See Pope Benedict's Summary. Her "cause" and current popularity is pushed as a feminist cause -- here she was a woman in a man's world (Middle Ages) and yet she was able to do such things.

I highly recommend Women in the Days of the Cathedrals by Regine Pernoud to see how skewed is this viewpoint. There were quite a few important roles women were allowed to do. It wasn't until the Enlightenment and Napoleonic Law that women actually tumbled down and lost more rights.

"The Secred World of Hildegard" opens up with the typical disparaging "gray" Middle Ages. She is presented as a light, making the difference in the so-called Dark Ages.

I feel there is a distinct disconnect from the Catholic Church; there is no mention of it in particular. There is brief mention of monks, nuns, and the pope "who was in charge of all the churches of every kingdom. He would decide if she, as a woman of God, had a right to be heard." (The Pope would make sure that her writings were not in conflict with Church teachings. It wasn't about her being a woman.)

Nor is there mention of the connection of Christ and his Church. There is a vague mention of God and her visions, how they were from God, but the book mentions how all her accomplishments and abilities were only from her visions. It's a bit more complicated than that summary, and it makes it sound like magical powers. Hildegard is one of a few famous women mystics from the Middle Ages. And a mystic is a bit more than what is presented in this book. See Father Hardon's definition of mysticism.

Hildegard was a Catholic nun, cloistered, but founded a few monasteries, I believe double monasteries, which means she was the Abbess of both the men and women. So without pulling in her visions, she had extraordinary leadership and organizational qualities.

My final hesitation with this book is that Matthew Fox is a contributor for advice. He is very New Age, and needs extreme caution on all his projects.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version