Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: How many aprons? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 22 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Does anyone have more than 1 apron?

Let me restate that:

Does anyone other than me have more than 10 aprons?????

And what purposes are they each for?

I've cut up so many old skirts and dresses and turned them into aprons left and right - I have SO many. But then today as I went from my sewing work to cooking lunch, I realized I should put on a different apron so that I don't have food on me when I go back to sewing.

So now I'm looking to differentiate my aprons and then I can add pockets and such specific to their purposes - sewing, cooking, serving dinner guests, gardening... what else?

Or am I alone in this oddity?

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 22 2010 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I definitely get you!!!! I have several aprons, and I choose them based on function and activity...and how well they match what I'm wearing. I have some full coverage aprons, but prefer a half apron that ties at the waist.

I love the idea of sewing specific functional pockets onto an apron to make it serve more easily! Can't think of any other designations for apron service than the ones you've listed. I tend to wear mine all day unless I get it dirty. My mom has a multi-purpose apron, and a go-to-town apron that she wears. I just love that! I cherish several old aprons that my Granny gave me!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 22 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

I have three aprons that either I or my mom has made. I LOVE aprons and but tend to never remember to put one on when I'm cooking I think of it AFTER I've already spilt something on myself!!! I need to get better at it and make up some more. They always make me feel so feminine!

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I have quite a few aprons but mostly hand me downs from my MIL's mother. I have a couple "newer" ones but even those I think were wedding gifts and we've been married 17 years!   I rarely use them although they are in a kitchen drawer readily available and my DD 11 AND DD 2 1/2 LOVE to put them on all.the.time (esp. the 11 yo).

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 22 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I need a new apron.. I don't use one for sewing but I like them for gardening and working in the kitchen and I really need to use one anytime I work with flour

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 22 2010 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CatholicMommy, I wish I had that many aprons. I don't think you have an oddity at all. In fact I'm probably the one with an oddity. I'm a "wannabe apron wearer." A few years ago I got excited about wearing aprons and have been collecting patterns and fabric that aren't actually getting made into aprons - (it's a bad habit I have - pattern/fabric collecting ). I really need to get myself in gear and actually make them (I made a few to sell at a friend's gift shop, but didn't manage to make my own). So, I'm taking this thread as a call to action - I need you all to help keep me accountable. They really are easy to make and I could crank one out over the weekend if I set my mind to it.

And have you ever seen this old thread - it's in my favorites - Aprons

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2010 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

what style of apron do you like Mary? That probably slows me down in the making as much as the finding time to sew does.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 23 2010 at 1:09am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jodie, I have several different styles I like - I want to make a bunch of different kinds/styles. The one I have cut out and ready to sew is from this pattern - the blue one.

I generally like the full length, back tie styles. Though I'd like to have a half apron and a wrap around as well.

The ones I currently have purchased to make are:
long one
all three of the full aprons
upper left corner one
style in pink

Oh dear and now I just found these patterns (here, here and here) I don't have and want...I certainly have a problem.... Now if I just used my time to sew instead of searching the internet for patterns...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 23 2010 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And I just wanted to add that I made aprons for my mom, sister and sister-in-law for Christmas last year so I'm not as lame as I sound. Just can't get one made for me.

Our Domestic Church

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2010 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Aprons are my friend! I like the "butcher style", as that gives maximum coverage, which I definitely need since I cook with a lot of fat for dd's diet.

My mother has made most of the ones I wear, which makes them even more special

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 23 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:

I have the one in the top left corner and love it! It's my absolute favorite full coverage apron....and the ONLY one I can wear when I'm full-term pregnant! It's a great apron. Mine is blue with cherries. So terribly happy!!!!

MaryM wrote:
Now if I just used my time to sew instead of searching the internet for patterns...

How exciting, Mary! I REALLY enjoyed looking at all the patterns you linked!!! There are a couple I'm definitely interested in!!!!

Some of my first sewing inspiration for aprons came from an old issue of Mary Jane's Farm Magazine. She offers this free tutorial for making an apron from an old shirt. I LOVE.LOVE.LOVE this pattern for a half apron. There are several apron patterns available for purchase in her stitching room.

And...anyone that loves aprons should check out The Apron Book. I loved it more for looking through some of the vintage aprons, but there are patterns in the book as well.

I enjoy collecting old, vintage aprons from Flea Markets. I have a favorite flea market in Nashville that I visit a few times a year and they consistently have beautiful, old aprons there. I just love finding a little piece of history and wearing it! They're all used because they have signs of wear and love on them, yet there's enough life left in them for me. A particular favorite of mine are aprons made from old flour sacks. It's a testament to the frugality of the time - and the flour sack cloth was so sturdy and pretty!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote juliana147

I made view E from Simplicity 4282, mentioned above,out of a pretty white muslin and cluny lace, and it is beautiful. So feminine. The embroidery took a while. It's my "fancy for parties" apron, LOL.

I have a bunch of aprons, but don't wear them often enough. Dd loves aprons, and we just finished making Daisy Kingdom matching aprons... they were preprinted (easier for her to cut) and very old-fashioned looking.

-juliana

Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2010 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Just found my pattern. It's actually Simplicity 8720. I couldn't find it on their website, so maybe it's been retired, and the apron was repackaged in 4282. Mine has lace at the neckline and on the pocket.

I think I want to make a wrap around apron. (like Simplicity 5201). I don't have any in that style, and I like full coverage, without it being binding. Has anyone made this pattern? I like the fact that it doesn't tie. I hate having to iron the ties after I wash an apron! They always seem to crinkle up.

This thread has put me in a sewing mood! It's way too hot to be outside, and I already have some fabric I could use...

I guess you could say I love aprons, too, though I don't have 10 (yet ).

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

Here is my absolute favorite apron. I have made several for friends and one matching set for a mom/daughter--so cute!! I even made one for the raffle at the Real Learning conference too.
I can't tolerate anything hanging around my neck, so the butcher styles don't work for me. This one uses a good bit of fabric and approx. 7 yards of rick rack, but it's so cute! Mine is blue checked/plaid on one side, and yellow with mice (leftover from the twins' nursery). Every time I wear it I smile.

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 23 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

mavmama wrote:
Here is my absolute favorite apron.

MERCIFUL HEAVENS!!!!!

HOLD ME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is an adorable apron!!!!! I'm just drooling all over the screen...over an apron! Where have my senses gone???

I'm OH.SO.GLAD you linked it, Liz!!!!!! I love the way the apron is made! And now, I feel like Mary I'm just sitting here adding more patterns to my wishlist!!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2010 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Number 8 down the Edwardian Apron is almost what I want.. in the movie Sarah Plain and Tall she wore an apron like this but the straps crossed in back.. it wasn't tied.. and i think that's what I'd like.

-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 23 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

aaahhh...apron envy...

Love all the new ones posted. In the link Liz posted there is also the scalloped one - that is the one that was the mentioned in the older thread that many people liked.

Mackfam wrote:
MaryM wrote:

I have the one in the top left corner and love it! It's my absolute favorite full coverage apron....and the ONLY one I can wear when I'm full-term pregnant! It's a great!

That's the one I made for my mom - so I get to wear it when I visit her .

Our Domestic Church

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Oh, my...

Jodie, thank you for posting that link! Those aprons are beautiful. I love the pinafore ones, too. They remind me of the ones my grandmother wore.

I'm so glad I have company here!

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

MaryM wrote:
aaahhh...apron envy...

Love all the new ones posted. In the link Liz posted there is also the scalloped one - that is the one that was the mentioned in the older thread that many people liked.

I've also made the scalloped apron and didn't like it as much. It has a wider "neck" and slips around a lot. When I'm wearing an apron, I'm not likely to be in a situation where I want to always be adjusting it. In other words, when I'm wearing an apron....I'm messy

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 23 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

mavmama wrote:

I've also made the scalloped apron and didn't like it as much. It has a wider "neck" and slips around a lot. When I'm wearing an apron, I'm not likely to be in a situation where I want to always be adjusting it. In other words, when I'm wearing an apron....I'm messy

That's helpful to know, Liz. as I have liked that style. But maybe that particular pattern isn't the best. One of the simplicity ones I linked above is that style but a straight cut not scalloped edges. If I make that one, I'll have to report on the slippage.

Our Domestic Church

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version