Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Printing E-books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2010 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I have a spin off question from At Home Book Binding - Spiral & Otherwise, Revisiting Incorporating Online Resources and the discussion on Swiss Family Robinson.

How do you *economically* print e-books?

I had a 300 page book from Google books quoted form Staples on-line and it was $27 with premium paper and $24 with regular paper.

That is a lot of $$ for a printed version of the book that I will still need to bind in some way.

Is there any tips, tricks or fantastic places to have books like this printed?????

Thanks!!!!!
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2010 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

Our laser printer ($80 for black and white only laser printer) will print at about 1 cent per page. We buy cases of paper, usually at Staples, when they are buy one get one. That puts us at about $2 a ream. So for a 300 page book, it would be a little under $4 per book for printing costs. I purchased a spiral binding machine for about $50 and some assorted binding spirals (less than 10 cents per spiral), so minus the original cost of the machine, it's 10 cents to bind. So, I print books for a reasonable price, though I do it myself which takes a little bit of time and effort. Is that what you're asking for?

God bless,
Christine

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Thanks Christine,

I use to have a b&w laser printer and loved it for all of the reason's that you listed. I just got a new MAC and I currently have the printer it came with...which is worthless. I would like to get another laser, but it's not going to happen in the immediate future.

So...I guess to clarify, I was asking for business to have it printed it.

KristineM
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 29 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote KristineM

Oh wow, you're going to LOVE this...I discovered something last year & now use it exclusively to print from Google books. There is a print-on-demand machine that only a handful of libraries & bookstores in the U.S. have. It can create a library-quality, perfect bound, acid-free 300-page paperback book in roughly four minutes. The Harvard Book Store is the only place I've found that will print & ship the books. Better yet, their search system seems to tie into Google Books directly, which makes it super easy. I paid $8. per book, plus a few dollars for shipping.

At the end of this blog post you can see pictures of what the books look like.
Back to Top View KristineM's Profile Search for other posts by KristineM

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

KristineM wrote:
Oh wow, you're going to LOVE this...I discovered something last year & now use it exclusively to print from Google books. There is a print-on-demand machine that only a handful of libraries & bookstores in the U.S. have. It can create a library-quality, perfect bound, acid-free 300-page paperback book in roughly four minutes. The Harvard Book Store is the only place I've found that will print & ship the books. Better yet, their search system seems to tie into Google Books directly, which makes it super easy. I paid $8. per book, plus a few dollars for shipping.

At the end of this blog post you can see pictures of what the books look like.

This looks like is might be a possible option! I put in three of the books that I was looking for and I got a price of $16 each, which beats $27. The shipping is fairly reasonable as well. For media mail is $3.50 first book and $0.50 for each additional with orders over $50 shipping for free.

Do you know if they ever have promotional codes or sales? I would really love to get to the $8 price that you got! :)

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I just discovered that site today myself--someone left a helpful hint on my blog--and had them print up an OOP book I couldn't find ANYWHERE. What a terrific service!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2010 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote Helen

KristineM wrote:
It can create a library-quality, perfect bound, acid-free 300-page paperback book in roughly four minutes. The Harvard Book Store is the only place I've found that will print & ship the books. Better yet, their search system seems to tie into Google Books directly, which makes it super easy. I paid $8. per book, plus a few dollars for shipping.

What an exciting prospect! Thanks Kristine for posting the link.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

KristineM
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 31 2010 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote KristineM

Betsy - I've never seen any promotional sales or coupons. It appears that they've raised their prices since I last ordered, which is really a bummer. I just ordered some books myself & ended up paying $13-16/book - the $8/book price I got was early last year.

You have to watch the titles too - I'm noticing many OOP books are now listed under various imprint companies & the prices skyrocket. You have to keep searching through the list for the titles available from Google - those books are generally much cheaper.

Here's a list of the bookstores (world-wide) that carry the Espresso Books machine. When I checked last year, none of these stores were shipping, but some might be by now & their prices might be better because the actual cost of printing the book is quite low.

KristineM
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 31 2010 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote KristineM

Ok, so I did some searching and found this:

Third Place Books (the Lake Forest Park location) seems to charge around $9-13/book, which is much better! They do ship also, but you have to call in your order, they don't have an online ordering system in place.

They were the only other EBM store that is currently shipping orders.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2010 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Kristine,

Thanks for posting the origional information and the new information at Third Place Books. I looked at the same books and they were listed as $10!!!! I haven't called yet to see what the shipping will be. Hopefully it won't off set the savings too much.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much!!!!!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

I just read the list of places that have the EBM machine. One is coming soon to a campus that is very near to me! I have a call in right now to get the details on when it will up and running, cost and if I will be able to use it. I am SOOOOO excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 02 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Coming a little late - but, what are Google Books? And, with these places, can you send them a download that you've purchased and have them print and bind that for you - or does it have to be a book they already have?

"Live as though your judge were to meet you today, and you will not fear Him when He does come." - St. Augustine
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

This is really a great resource. Thanks for posting it Kristine M

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

EBM - print on demand books

I just started a new topic about this yesterday. I found the Northshire bookstore which ships as well, as many of them probably do now. But the great thing is the USPS shipping seems to be free!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version