Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: It's a Girl! and Tandem Nursing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2006 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Our baby Rachel Rita was born on March 6! She is doing well.

I have a few questions about nursing a baby and a 3 1/2 yr old.

Should I wash myself after nursing my older child? I'm afraid to give the baby germs.

Will letting an older child nurse when I'm engorged prolong the engorgement? It seems to have helped tonight, but I wonder if I will be producing too much milk later on or be more engorged tomorrow.

Nursing my older child seems strange to me, especially now that I have a newborn. My dd 3.5 seems so huge. Have you ever felt like this? I feel like I'm only doing it so that I won't hurt her feelings.   

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 10 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Congratulations !

Nurse the infant first and let her have all she wants. If you do wash yourself, your pediatrician will be happier with your decision to tandem nurse . I found I hardly got engorged when I tandem nursed. I don't think it will throw you off because you really do have an increased demand. I felt like my tandem toddler was enormous (and, especially when Nicholas was the toddler,this was true!). And I felt very antsy whenever my toddlers tandem-nursed. The first time I did it, it was really tough for me--I just felt squirmy all the time, and a bit resentful. Subsequent tandem pairs didn't affect me quite as intensely. I'm a real proponent of tandem nursing where the babies are concerned but I'm also the first one to acknowledge that it is a formidable undertaking for mom!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 10 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Congratulations, Cheryl! Welcome baby Rachel Rita!

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2006 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby girl!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 10 2006 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Congratulations!!!!! What a pretty name, Rachel Rita .

According to THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, normal hygiene is sufficient in most cases of tandem nursing.   The glands around the nipple secrete an anti-bacterial fluid and babies are born with an immunity to most household (and sibling) germs. Mother's milk also contains these same immunities. Also, tandem nursing can minimize engorgement and ensure a bountiful milk supply.Here's some more tandem nursing information.

I appreciate your concern for your 3.5 yo's feelings. Many mothers have felt all sorts of, yes, squirmy feelings. Personally I was surprised by my conflicting feelings. The good news is that time took care of things for us and made our efforts worthwhile.

My prayers and best wishes are with you!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2006 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Congratulations!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2006 at 3:28am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Copngratulations and welcome to Rachel Rita

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Congratulations!!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote mary

Congratulations!

i tandem nursed an infant and 2 1/2 yr old. He was a huge kid beforehand and seemed even larger in comparison to my newborn. I had a hard time with the tandem nursing - i felt uncomfortable during and resentful that the nursing relationship was continuing with my toddler when i felt it was time to be over. eventually i weaned the toddler and have avoided tandem nursing since. i think if you are happy tandem nursing, terrific! if it makes you feel uncomfortable, then know that at least that some moms have felt that same way too.

with regard to your questions - i didn't wash first. i didn't have any problems with regard to supply, in fact TN probably helped take the edge off of my over production of milk.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Congratulations Cheryl

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Congratulations Cheryl, what a beautiful name for your baby girl, have a wonderful baby-moon and hope you're feeling fine!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Congratulations!

I tandem nursed a 3 1/2 yr old and a newborn (my first two).    Yes, the older child looked *huge* to me.    It was the weirdest thing...like I was fighting biology that was encouraging me to push him out of the baby spot.

With subsequent pregnancies, I've weaned around 6 months pg...which in our case meant our other children were weaned around 2 1/2.

Its a very personal decision. You can do it if you want to. I know lots of women who have done it successfully. But your older child will be ok if you decide to wean him/her, too.

I never worried about washing, and the many women from my old LLL group who did it never worried about washing/germs, either. Maybe if the older one had a cold or fever though, I'd be more careful? At my old LLL meetings, new moms would always ask about washing their breasts before nursing and we were told it would be a better idea to wash our hands more frequently.

Blessings,

~Books
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Cheryl wrote:
Our baby Rachel Rita was born on March 6! She is doing well.

No experience with tandem nursing but wanted to congratulate you.        That's wonderful news!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Congratulations on you new little girl! Mine all weaned during pregnancy so I have no advice on the TN. So excited for you!
God Bless,
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I tandem nursed my first two for 9 months and I never washed. Be careful about washing because you could get dried out and increase cracking.

I never felt the same about nursing the older one once the baby came. I felt like it was fingernails on a chalkboard and I would just hold my breath. I could hardly bear it. I did it for him because he needed it so much. I would do it again for a child that needed it, but all the others gagged when my milk was either changing those last weeked of PG or when my milk came in. It made me sad with one of them since he still wanted to nurse and was so shocked to hate the taste.

Hang in there. If it really drives you nuts, you could try some distraction techniques. However, give it time since the babe is so new to everyone. Could the toddler be a baby helper or could you have a special book time during nursing (not that I'm promoting weaning).

As for engorgement--let the toddler take care of it. It will all even out.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Thanks for your responses. Angie, I will read some of the mother's stories on that website when I get a chance. I have been washing myself because my older dd has been sneezing, so I'm more cautious. While I was pregnant, we were down to nursing at bedtime and sometimes when we first woke up. Last night she came in wanting to nurse during the night, so I did, but I told her that we can't keep it up because I really need some sleep. I think it's hard to balance taking care of myself with taking care of the kids.

A couple hours after I delivered Rachel, I ended up in the OR because I kept bleeding. I had a D & C, then they found that the problem was a cervical laceration. Two days later, my blood count was down to 5.4, so I had 3 units of blood put in me, which brought it up to 8.5. So I am still weak and feel dizzy occasionally. The lactation consultant at the hospital suggested I get a pump to pump and nurse because I may have trouble with my milk supply. So my little tandem nurser may actually be helping me out, but the down side is that I just don't feel like nursing two because I'm so weak.

I guess I'll just do the best I can. I love hearing that I'm not the only one doing this. I'm certainly not going to tell any of my relatives.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Sarah wrote:
I did it for him because he needed it so much. I would do it again for a child that needed it, but all the others gagged when my milk was either changing those last weeked of PG or when my milk came in.

I was hoping that this was going to happen, but my dd said, "It's good!"

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Cheryl wrote:
Angie, I will read some of the mother's stories on that website when I get a chance. I have been washing myself because my older dd has been sneezing, so I'm more cautious.   

Oh my, Cheryl. You are going through so much! My prayers and emapthy are with you.

Some more reassuring information from THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK:

If one of the siblings is ill, it is not necessary for the mother to limit each child to one breast, because the germs that cause colds and other infections are communicated before symptoms appear. Once an illness is apparent, the siblings will have already been sharing their mother's breasts for several days.

You are an awesome mom, Cheryl! Yep, hanging out here with other experienced moms who are willing to share their triumphs and challenges can be a bit more kindred than blabbing with well-intentioned but inexperienced relatives .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Cheryl wrote:
. Two days later, my blood count was down to 5.4, so I had 3 units of blood put in me, which brought it up to 8.5. So I am still weak and feel dizzy occasionally.

I'm sure you already know this, but be very careful standing up quickly since you can't believe how quickly you could pass out! I had a hemmorrage situation with one and ended up with a hemaglobin of 8 and it takes a lot out of you. Since you are weaker be sure to rest and EAT a lot. Red meat is your best bet to bringing that up. Sorry to sound like your mother.

Take care of yourself. And its so true about sharing with the relatives. You just don't need anyone telling you what to do right now. Afterall, we'll tell you what to do here

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Congratulations, Cheryl and family!! I hope you are feeling stronger soon!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version