Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Speaking of the Duggars... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 14 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I haven't watched any of these recent shows on this family, but I did watch one a few years ago. I think they had 14 or 15 children then, and were just begining to build their home. I have to admit, it made my teeth hurt is was so sweet!!    I wondered how much of it was for the cameras.

We have friends that have 14 children. He is a local grocery store manager, she is home caring for the children. They have a small 3 bedroom ranch house, they drive a conversion van (not a minibus!) They shop Goodwill and look it. She get tired sometimes, but I rarely see her without a smile on her face and a sparkle in her eye. Their house is very noisy and full of joyful chaos. They are a very close family, and they kids are a joy to be around.

Nothing against the Duggers, really, they are an inspiring family in their own right. But the S---er family I know is way more my speed and comfort level!! I am blessed to know them and have them to look up to!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 15 2006 at 5:19am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

I haven't seen the new special yet, but will try to catch it this week.

Yes, the thing which makes me curious is the actualy homescooling of this large family. I work 30 hrs/wk as a single mom and only have 2 children. It is such a struggle. So, I look at someone like Michelle Duggar and think "HOW? HOW is this possible?"

Oh, and as for the wisdom booklets someone mentioned. . .could these be it?
http://ati.iblp.org/ati/family/curriculum/

Jen

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 15 2006 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

The one thing I noticed about the show besides the wonderful house, was how well the oldest child narrated the show. I thought he did a wonderful job.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 15 2006 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Yep, they're part of the whole Bill Gothard thing. That explains a lot.
Jen

"Jim Bob Duggar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Duggar family is strongly Christian, having been influenced by the teachings of Bill Gothard. The children are home schooled using Gothard's "Wisdom Booklets" and the family lives a debt free lifestyle following the practices of the "Financial Freedom Seminar" taught by Gothard associate Jim Sammons. The Duggars (who were married in 1984) also stated that they practiced birth control prior to the birth of Joshua, then resumed but Michelle later miscarried, whereupon they decided that birth control was incompatible with their beliefs that God should be the leader of their home."

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 15 2006 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

While watching the show the other evening I noticed right away which products were given to them by LONG camera time given to the NAMEBRANDS

Trish
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2006 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I can't blame them. If someone gave me furniture and fun gifts I would be most happy to promote them too.

I'm thrilled for them that they got this house and a little green eyed too.

They do not have all the beauty and fullness of the faith that we have. But they are a step ahead of many families in some areas and are a good example.

I keep coming back to wanting to get to the level of organization they are at, Michele's gentleness and kindness to her family and the children's cheerful, capable participation in their organization. I'm going to break these three areas down for myself into small goals to see if I can improve them.

I don't want to BE the Duggars but the older I get the more I realize how much I can learn from others.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2006 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

My mom caught the previous show. Now she calls me sometimes in the morning and asks if we are all sitting around the table covering bankruptcy laws.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2006 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote amyable

JennyMaine wrote:
    and the family lives a debt free lifestyle following the practices of the "Financial Freedom Seminar" taught by Gothard associate Jim Sammons.

Dh wants to know if the Catholic Church promotes a debt free lifestyle also. Anyone know? We are intrigued by it...

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2006 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I have recently been reading about becoming debt-free. I don't know about the Catholic perspective, but Crown Financial Ministries has a radio show on many Christian stations that discusses the Biblical perspective. They also have a website Crown Financial.

I have also really enjoyed/been helped by Dave Ramsey's radio program and books. Books include Financial Peace and The Total Money Makeover. I'm not sure that it matters, but I just saw that World Net Daily has a page with question and answers by him.

I have to run to the hospital (with my sister) now but there is also a Catholic man - Phillip Lenehan...? (blanking on the name) that used to have a column in the CCL newsletter.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2006 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Amy,
Steve Wood has several resources on this at his website.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My dh who is a CPA would applaud the debt-free living. He really takes seriously our obligation to live debt-free. We try hard to do planned spending. Credit cards are for emergencies only. When we have run up any balance on cards he pays them off quickly.

I didn't get a good example growing up on responsible finances. He has inspired me by being such a good steward.

Another point he always stresses is that he wants BOTH of us to work on the finances. I should be aware of what our budget, debts, insurance, etc. for two reasons: 1) we are a team, not a his/hers type of thing and 2) in case something should ever happen to him.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

dhbrug
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 17 2006 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote dhbrug

I don't believe the Church has an official position on debt per se however I think the following makes sense:
- debt is not, in and of itself, wrong.
- like many things it is misuse that is a problem
- usury is still a problem
- The scriptural warning "Never a lender nor borrower be" still has weight
- The quote in "Going my way" by Bing Crosby, "What's a church without a mortgage?" says volumes.
- The parable of the servants and talents tells us to use our talents prudently and not hide them away.
- We are not to succumb to the world. We are to rejoice in what God has given us.
So, I would think that we are called to use our finances wisely and control our desires. We have the responsibility to do good now and be true to our word. Wise as serpents, innocent as doves.
Debt free makes a lot of sense to me and it frees you from the yoke and burden of the borrowers. Much debt is incurred by impatient desires so being debt-free would be a good thing, even if it just ensured we controlled our desires and saved for what we wanted.
After all that, I am pretty sure the basic principles of the Church would back being debt free, but also permit "good" debt (i.e. debt not based on greed or intemperate desires).

Back to Top View dhbrug's Profile Search for other posts by dhbrug Visit dhbrug's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2006 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We recently were able to reduce our debt paying schedule. Instead of $10,000 over the next 6 years, it will be paid off next March, and we'll save money on the interest.    We used the idea of the debt calulator from Cheapskate Monthly, but since Bill is getting an MBA, he built his own spreadsheet. I just checked out the book Debt Proof Your Marriage by Mary Hunt, but I haven't started it yet, since I was reading Dressing with Dignity first.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2006 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Thank you for your thoughts on debt free living everyone - and just to clarify, we don't have the typical consumer/credit card debt - we are just talking about our mortgage and cars. If we don't have the money for other things, we don't get them. I've learned from watching my family growing up what *not* to do We just didn't know about taking it to the extreme of paying off our mortage and cars more quickly. (and using cash next time) Dh is very wary of taking the advice from a Protestant source without checking out the Catholic point of view first.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Okay, combining Cay's recommendation of Dads.org and mine of the Catholic Philip Lenahan, I suggest searching on "Lenahan" on the Dads.org site. There are 20 "hits" on this search -- all finance related!

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Here is a link to The Catholic Answers Guide to Family Finances by Philip Lenahan. You can "search inside" at Amazon.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version