Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Musty Smell Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 09 2006 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I just ordered a used copy of Tasha Tudor's "Wings from the Wind" on Amazon. Unfortunately, it arrived yesterday and has the musty smell of an old basement.

Any home remedies out there?

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2006 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Is it only a bit of a smell, or really mildewy? A few hints I've done over the years, but it only works for a bit musty.

1) Make sure there is no actual mildew that you can see. If hardback, remove cover, wipe down book with a cloth slightly dampened with a weak bleach solution. Make sure you get all over, in nooks and crannies and inside cover. Wipe dry immediately with a dry cloth.

2) Best remedy is time, sunshine and fresh air. I put my book in the sun outside on the patio. This will need to be done on still, sunny days, and frequently. Put it in different positions, changing pages, so that the whole book is aired out.

3) I've tried this a few times...not foolproof, but when I was desperate to save a book, I read it online somewhere...I don't have the link in front of me. Set your oven to very, very low and bake your book. Not long, keep turning and you may have to do a few times. This is to kill the mold that is causing the musty smell.

4) This one I don't remember perfectly. Place the book in a plastic garbage bag and fill the bag with crumpled newspapers. Close the bag and over time change the papers ever so often. Supposed to absorb the odor.

5) Now I think this would work, but the negative side would be all the particles you would have to remove from the binding, so you would have to decide if that would be worth it. But the silica gel flower drying material would work well in removing all "dampness" from your book. You would have to immerse the book, and then again, time will only tell.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2006 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I had this recently too. I put it on the shelf with some other books thinking I'd put it out in the sun this summer. Before long the books next to it took on the smell. So, I learned to quarantine it until I can remedy it.

I heard sunlight helps. I would think, but I'm often wrong, that good hot July sun would be helpful. I'm eager to hear what other's say since this book is unreadable until then. . .

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Hi Alice,
I buy a lot of old books at library book sales and used bookstores. Many times they smell pretty bad. I have put books in a ziploc bag with cedar chips and they will do the trick (as long as you don't mind the smell of cedar chips! ). I have a friend who uses a dryer sheet in the bag. Also, I understand that baking soda will deodorize almost anything (in the same way that it freshens the fridge) but how to do it with a book!?....hmmmm.

Best of luck!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2006 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rebecca wrote:
I have a friend who uses a dryer sheet in the bag. =

I tried that....I did not like the outcome. All I smelled was the perfumey sheet AND the musty smell! But I must confess, I don't like the smell of dryer sheets, so I should have thought of that before I tried!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

jenngm67 wrote:

All I smelled was the perfumey sheet AND the musty smell!

When you put it that way, it does sound rather gross . Maybe you'd like the cedar chips better!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

You are all so great. Many thanks for so many thoughtful and promising responses in such a short time! This group is incredible!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

I purchase used books at resale shops. I often wipe down the covers with a germ wipe or a paper towel moistened with Shaklee's basic germicide. I know that the current trend is to avoid antibacterials, but when it comes to "stranger germs," all bets are off!

I have done the dryer sheet.. yes, smells like a dryer sheet. What worked nicely was placing a musty smelling book in a zipper bag with an unwrapped yankee candle votive (I like the fruity flavored ones ). I left it for several days (forgot about it ) and it seemed to work nicely.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 14 2006 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote Mari

I have enjoyed reading these great tips. I never thought of finding a remedy for musty books. I like the sunshine idea - maybe when the sun is out we could go out and read musty books!

Does anyone have any ideas for books with a tabacco smell??? That is probably the worst!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2006 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mari wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas for books with a tabacco smell??? That is probably the worst!

You mean old smoke, right?

I just got my April issue from Martha Stewart Living and there was a Q&A that would apply to smoke, but I'm wondering also if it would work on musty books?

Q. I inherited a rug that smells like smoke. How can I get the odor out?

A. Zeolite, a porous mineral that absorbs molecules that cause odors, should be able to extract the smell. Available as small rocks or as a powder, zeolite is naturally occurring but also can be produced artificially. It is sold at pet stores and home centers, often under the name "volcanic mineral." Larger quantities can be found for a lower cost at stores that sell swimming supplies. (Zeolite is used in pool filters.)

To rid a rug of a smoky smell, spritz the surface with water, then cover it with a layer of zeolite about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. In a couple of days, collect the zeolite and vacuum the rug. If the rug is small, you can also put it in a plastic trash bag with a few cups of zeolite. Tie the bag and leave it for a few days. Zeolite is reusable--place it in the sun for a day or two and it will discharge the smells it has absorbed--and can be employed to treat a variety of odors, including those on furniture, fabrics, and car upholstery.

==============
After reading this, I see a little rabbit trail on the the mineral zeolite! I had never heard of it before (or don't remember when I did!)

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 19 2006 at 3:24am | IP Logged Quote Mari

Wow! Thanks for the info. You have just rekindled an interest in chemistry with all those crystals!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version