Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Aunt Dee's Attic and Dianne Ahern Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 15 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

When I was purchasing First Communion gifts for my godson and another nephew, I saw books by Dianne Ahern in the gift shop. I didn't know anything about them, so I passed by, but they looked very nice. I was hesitant because it seemed like a lot of text, and I didn't have time to figure out if it was boring text or narrative style.

So I've been doing some digging. There were 3 threads that referred to some of the books, but I thought I'd lump it all together and ask for feedback.

The press name is Aunt Dee's Attic.

The Sacramental Instruction books are written as stories, narrative, living books, filled with religious instruction. The back of the book has a solid glossary. The books all carry an Imprimatur, which is a good thing.

The Amazon links allow you to look inside. While I can't see too much, you can search for terms. It's thrilling to see First Communion books teach Transubstantiation!

::Today I Made My First Communion
::Today I Was Baptized
::Today I Made My First Reconciliation
::Today Someone I Love Passed Away
::Today We Became Engaged

There are plans for a Confirmation and Holy Orders book.

There is also a series of mystery stories, Adventures with Sister Philomena, Special Agent to the Pope, written and illustrated for ages 8 and older.

Book One: Lost in Peter's Tomb

Book Two: Break-In at the Basilica

Book Three: Curse of the Coins

So, I know a few of you have read the mystery stories. I'd love to hear some more feedback on the books.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2010 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Jenn,

The mystery series was enjoyed much by my 10 year old son last summer. I "scanned" the first few chapters of Lost in Peter's Tomb and then let him have at 'em. I haven't read them page by page myself, though.

He gave good narrations based on each book, though, so I know he enjoyed them and the plots seemed well-written and exciting and very Catholic!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 16 2010 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Jennifer! Glad to hear it. What reading level would you estimate?

We had A few threads in the past about Dianne Ahern's book, and a question did come up whether they were Catholic or not. Bridget helped clarify, but I also wrote to the author and had a wonderful response I would share:
Quote:
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for your interest in our books. Yes, our books are written for Catholics. All the books are reviewed and edited by clergy: great, solid, orthodox priests. The Sacrament books are additionally reviewed by the Bishop's office to ensure there is nothing contrary to the Catholic faith, thus they receive the Imprimatur. If you find anything troubling in any of the books, we are happy to research it further. But do realize that the characters and their lives are fiction.

God bless,
Dianne

I am excited about the Sacraments books because there is a need of good solid books especially in the Post-Vatican II era. To couple the training with engaging stories is what I am always looking for.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

We also have the mystery books and my kids are wishing there were more in the series

As for reading level, I always have a tough time judging, but I would say it's an intermediate chapter book - between an early reader chapter book (like Amelia Bedelia) and a chapter book (like Little House series). I would liken the reading level to American Girls books.

God bless,
Christine

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this to share that Number 4 book in the series has been published:

Secrets of Siena

Quote:
It's finally here! See the attached flyer for a brief description of the newest Adventure with Sister Philomena, Special Agent to the Pope. Please ask your local Catholic/Christian book store to order it (if they haven't already) or you may order it directly from Aunt Dee's Attic using the 'Order' page on our website (auntdeesattic.com). If you have any questions, please call us at 734-996-9323.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

How'd I miss this? My kids will love these!

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

It's already on order for Christmas at our house

God bless,
Christine

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

My kids love the mystery books and we also have the Baptism and Communion books and like those as well.

MLoustalot
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote MLoustalot

I recently gave a copy of Today We Became Engaged to my future daughter in law. . she really likes it (and I agree there's a lot of verbage. . I wish it had more "fill-in-the-blank" type memory pages) and is busily filling in the pages with "scrapbook like" entries about how she met my son, how he proposed, etc.

It seems to be the only book of this type for engagements on the market, tho I'd be interested in seeing others. .

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I love when old threads are bumped. My dd 7 is doing her First Reconciliation in a couple of weeks and her Communion in the spring. I just ordered both.

And the mystery stories couldn't be more timely. I was just wondering about Sherlock Holmes or should I say more appropriate mystery books for my 10 year old dd in another thread. How perfect

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up yet again!

We are reading our way through the Sister Philomena books, and my kids are loving these. They are so much fun, and they contain so much information about the saints and church history. Makes me want to go to Rome

I was not sure about buying these for the longest time... i couldn't find any bargain copies, and I was trying to hold out. But The Catholic Child has them as a set at a lower price than buying individually, and so I ordered when they had free shipping. And somehow I also got in on the deal to get a free copy of the JP II Glory Story cd at the same time, which is tremendous.

But I would buy them again at full price with no extra deals... we are enjoying them that much

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Yay! Thanks!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version