Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: 2010-Encourage each other-Current Read? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 17 2010 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

For a number of reasons the last few years have seen us struggle to maintain the active read aloud lifestyle we enjoyed when we had only under 11s. Listening to other mothers I am certain we are not the only ones who struggle with this. The desire vs the reality.

I would like you to join with us to encourage one another to hold fast to this dream and make it a reality. Whether you are a mother of; many, an only, little ones, or your last little nestlings please feel free to join us. Once a week pop in and let us know what you are reading and how you are enjoying your time together. If you manage to finally begin, read several chapters or manage one let us cheer you on.

Three weeks ago I began reading Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nihm to my dc 10,8 & 6. (The 6yr old drifts in and out). It has been slow going getting into the reading groove again, although today I read 4 chapters! It was lovely to sit outside in the sunshine reading whilst the children laid on the trampoline. I read Mrs Frisby years ago to my older children (16, 15 &13) it is a lovely book to re-read all these years later. The language is so rich and we're rather hooked to find 'what happens next.'

Please share, what are you reading with your children this week?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

dakotamidnight
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2010 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote dakotamidnight

Right now we're reading The Adventures of Prickly Porky by Thornton Burgess. It's only a chapter a night since DD is almost 4, but she is loving it and we are having many wonderful animal learning experiences from it.
Back to Top View dakotamidnight's Profile Search for other posts by dakotamidnight Visit dakotamidnight's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

We have re-started The Long Winter and are back on track to finish the entire series.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 5:51am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

We are nearing the end of "Farmer Boy". We read after dinner in the evening still sitting at the table , as 1 or 2 are still slowly finishing up their meal. The best times are when dh is the reader. He had previously never read Laura Ingalls Wilder, but he can make this story come so alive!!!!
With my youngest (6yr old.), we cozy up with one of "My First Little House" books and or "Angel Food for boys and girls". She loves both. These are very special moments I can share with Helena alone.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We, too, have been on a Little House kick, and we're currently on ...Silver Lake

We do our chapter book read aloud before bed right now, and it works well.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote Christine

My husband is reading Red Falcons of Tremoine to our older children.

He reads after we pray the Rosary each night.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We haven't started a new one, but we just finished "The Story of Doctor Doolittle".

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
We haven't started a new one, but we just finished "The Story of Doctor Doolittle".

We got that as an audio book recently from the library, and I feel I've heard it a zillion times. It includes the introduction, and just Sunday, my oldest was chatting with our neighbor and asking, "So, do you know Hugh Lofting who wrote the Dr. Doolittle stories..."

Um, no. Nice as they are, I'm afraid our neighbors are not so well read as you are at an illiterate six...

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 18 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We have two books going:

Audubon and His Sons by Amy Hogeboom
Our Lady Goes a Maying by Mary Paula Williamson

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
JennGM wrote:

We got that as an audio book recently from the library, and I feel I've heard it a zillion times. It includes the introduction, and just Sunday, my oldest was chatting with our neighbor and asking, "So, do you know Hugh Lofting who wrote the Dr. Doolittle stories..."

Um, no. Nice as they are, I'm afraid our neighbors are not so well read as you are at an illiterate six...

Too funny. I was wondering if you think the other books in the series are as good?

I was also surprised by our edition that it was edited for PC purposes. I don't think much; I think it was mainly the pictures in Africa.

My son read ahead because it was so exciting but was moved to tears when he read that Polynesia was staying behind in Africa. He was really upset. Can anyone else say that Dr. Doolittle made them cry?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I love this way of supporting each other, Erin. Thanks! We're on a short story read aloud kick. Today we'll start The Ransom of Red Chief.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well I have a head cold so I'm not reading aloud at the moment.. but the last book I read.. intending to read to the younger kids drew in everyone..

"Cub Scout At Last" by Henry Gregor Felsen 1952

This was fun. The Cub Scouts hadn't added Tiger Cubs yet.. and the boys would start once they turned 8 yrs. But it was written so well, that we were all chuckling over the boys antics and of course it was fun to read the things that haven't changed in the Cub Scouts, lots of "we do that" moments.

Discovered the book is out of print and so I quickly latched onto it as *MY* book so I could keep it out of reach of little hands that wouldn't be so nice to it.. it's paperback and not in the best shape to start.. it was a discarded school book.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

We are on a "heading west" kick and we just finished
By the Great Horn Spoon
and tonight we start
On to Oregon!

I am thrilled because the 4 and 5 year olds are loving read aloud time--(I have always read while they played close by but now enjoy just sitting and listening) --they sat through all of By the Great Horn Spoon. They have really impressed me with their ability to soak in what the stories are about.

Of course, the teenagers wander in often, and if we get ahead, they voice their complaints about missing parts of books, so they will grab the book and catch up.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 18 2010 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Jodie,
Do you have a copy of Baden Powell: The Two Lives of a Hero by William Hilcourt? As much as your son loves the Scouts - this is a book you surely ought to watch out for!! It seems expensive used at Amazon, but maybe watching used sales you could find it affordably.

You surely know who Baden Powell is, but for the benefit of others, he was an amazing man that is seen as the founder of The Boy Scouts. What this book does is build a history of his life - fantastic, full, heroic, colorful, a morally strong man of action! The book begins with his life of military service to Britain which culminates in his being the youngest general in the British Army, but continues in the second part of the book with his concern over the youth of Britain. This use of his military skills and leadership to assist young men into manhood was to be the beginning of what would eventually become the Boy Scouts. The book is written so well, but the man, Baden Powell, is an amazing example for our young men! It would make a great addition to 20th century history or a history of the scouts! A riveting book!

And it would make a fantastic read aloud for anyone!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh that does sound good Jen. I did read aloud the short story in the newest handbook edition about how a simple act of kindness/help brought the boy scouts to America. (and gives "Do a Good Turn Daily" a bit deeper meaning)

Quote:
In 1909, Chicago publisher William D. Boyce lost his way in a dense London fog. A boy came to his aid and, after guiding the man, refused a tip, explaining that as a Scout he would not take a tip for doing a Good Turn. This gesture by an unknown Scout inspired a meeting with Robert Baden-Powell, the British founder of the Boy Scouts. As a result, William Boyce incorporated the Boy Scouts of America on February, 8, 1910. He also created the Lone Scouts, which merged with the Boy Scouts of America in 1924.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Mackfam wrote:
Jodie,
Do you have a copy of Baden Powell: The Two Lives of a Hero by William Hilcourt? As much as your son loves the Scouts - this is a book you surely ought to watch out for!! It seems expensive used at Amazon, but maybe watching used sales you could find it affordably.

You surely know who Baden Powell is, but for the benefit of others, he was an amazing man that is seen as the founder of The Boy Scouts. What this book does is build a history of his life - fantastic, full, heroic, colorful, a morally strong man of action! The book begins with his life of military service to Britain which culminates in his being the youngest general in the British Army, but continues in the second part of the book with his concern over the youth of Britain. This use of his military skills and leadership to assist young men into manhood was to be the beginning of what would eventually become the Boy Scouts. The book is written so well, but the man, Baden Powell, is an amazing example for our young men! It would make a great addition to 20th century history or a history of the scouts! A riveting book!

And it would make a fantastic read aloud for anyone!

Oh! Thanks for this! I think my ds will love it!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

there's a "cheap" one on abebooks Theresa.. I won't be able to get it right away anyway.

and the Amazon price isn't much when you look at the scout site and see that the new price is $47

-Sir Walter Scott

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Erin, we read Mrs. Frisby two months ago. We absolutely loved it.

This year has been a rough one for us with my health issues. We haven't done much academics but we have read many, many books. When my kids first found out about my cancer, they were in no frame of mind of doing school so we just read and read and read. Looking back at those months, I get the warm fuzzies. Even though it was a scary time for my kids, it was also a comforting time because we were all together, cuddled up and we were enjoying wonderful books.

We still read quite alot, even though the scary times are over.

Right now we are reading:
By the Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleishman
Listening for the Lions by Gloria Whelan
The BFG by Roald Dahl
Five Children and It by E. Nesbitt
Oliver Twist by Dickens

Thanks for starting this thread, Erin. I love talking about our read alouds. This is the best part of homeschooling, imo.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:
We have two books going:

Jen, my brain is a bit fuzzy these days, but... am I missing something on the Bravewriter site you linked to for this book? My dd has recently informed me that (alas) she is all out of books to read. I mean, it's not like we live in a house that's better stocked than our local library or anything.

Current read aloud here:
Biggles Flies East (my dd reads to the 7 yo and 4 yos at bedtime)

And I have been having a hard time getting anything my 11 yo and 13 yo will really be interested in lately. I read Our Island Story aloud... and am hoping to add A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver tomorrow, since If All the Swords in England seems not to have grabbed anyone's interest as a read-aloud.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 18 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angel wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
We have two books going:

Jen, my brain is a bit fuzzy these days, but... am I missing something on the Bravewriter site you linked to for this book?

Ugh. Nope, you're not missing anything on the Bravewriter site! I just sent you to the wrong link!

I fixed the link in the original post - here 'tis if you just want to link from here! Thanks for catching my mistake, Angela!

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version