Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Botanical stories ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2010 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote florasita

Hi Gals , I'm planning our summer reading now and I need a few story ideas regarding botany . We are studying botany for summer months and I need story ideas too . I've a 9ds who can read very well and likes read alouds too . a ds14 who struggles still with reading but also loves read alouds . So I'd like a bit of read on your own as well as read aloud suggestions .
Thanks a bunch ! Rox

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

KristineM
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 12 2010 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote KristineM

I've been searching for something like this for the past year, without much success. Though it's a bit tedious, there are *many* wonderful stories and poems pertaining to seeds and specific types of flowers & trees that can be found in public domain texts via Google Books. I've been compiling some resources this way, here are some books that I've found especially useful:

Kindergarten Stories and Morning Talks by Sara Wiltse

In the Child's World by Emilie Poulsson

Nature in Verse: A Poetry Reader for Children by Mary Isabella Lovejoy

Nature Study in Elementary Schools: A Manual for Teachers by Lucy Langdon Williams Wilson (contains good story ideas, the stories are all available via Google Books)

The Book of Nature Myths by Florence Holbrook

Sharp Eyes: A Rambler's Calendar of Fifty-Two Weeks Among Insects, Birds, and Flowers by Wm Hamilton Gibson (this is referred to often in the above books)

Myths and Legends of Flowers, Trees, Fruits, and Plants by Charles Skinner

If you dislike reading the material online (as I do!), the Harvard Book Store will print any of these public domain texts for you for about $8./book + a reasonable shipping fee.
Back to Top View KristineM's Profile Search for other posts by KristineM

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I like the works of Arabella Buckley, especially those of the "eyes and no eyes" series. You can read them for free at the Baldwin Project to see if they appeal to you.
Also, check out the Lewis and Clark book I recommended on your botanical artist thread. Your teen boy in particular might like that one.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have this book Hidden Stories in Plants by Ann Pellowski that gives a great smattering of folk tales and myths attached to plants from different cultures. A review is included here.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Thank You Thank You ! These are all such wonderful suggestions ! My library has many in reference which I can take out if I go to our main branch ! Also chapters does have some too .
I'm using Keepers of Life & Native American Gardening by Michael Caduto along with A Kid's Herb Book & Walking the World in Wonder
but also wanted some actual stories that are not from the native american slant as well .
Have any of you gals read anything by a Henry Beston ? There are two books one titled Northern Farm & the other Herbs & the Earth . I wonder if they'd be ok for ds14 ? I'd love him to read Scott Nearings stuff but think it a tad heavy for a young man his age .
I'm going to head over to the artist suggestions now post more ideas please if they come .Thanks a bunch , Rox

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

Would the Flower Fairies Treasury be too girly/young for you? I just LOVE the poetry and the illustrations!
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version