Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: No-bake strawberry pie! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 29 2010 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

This recipe is from Whole Foods Market.

We bought half a flat of strawberries at the farmer's market this weekend. Had to use them up! :)

Just made this this afternoon. I cannot vouch for taste (just yet), but if you mix sugar + strawberries + gingersnaps + whipped cream, it's bound to be tasty!

Enjoy!!

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

That looks fabulous! I'll definitely have to try it when we get our first batch of farmers' market strawberries!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 29 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh yum, Maggie. We have yet to find a strawberry pie recipe that we love...one that isn't too runny or gooey. Let us know how it comes out, please .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Here's what I used and it's yummy! It's no-bake. Not runny at all or too gooey, all things that turn me off.

Crust:
1 1/2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
6T melted butter

Pie:
2 1/2 quarts strawberries
1 cup sugar
2T cornstarch
1 cup water
1 package 3 oz strawberry jello

In pie pan mix together sugar and graham cracker crumbs; pour melted butter over mixture and press into pie pan.

In saucepan mix sugar and cornstarch thoroughly. Add boiling water. Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens. Take off heat. Add jello mix. Stir until dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.

You can pour over the strawberries in the pie crust or put the strawberries in the mixture and our into the crust.

Chill until set. Whipped cream optional.

Enjoy!

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 29 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

KC in TX wrote:
Whipped cream optional.

Not in the Mackintosh house!!

That recipe sounds super yummy, KC!!!! Thanks for sharing it!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Maggie! Yum What a temptation...I just got done walking 6 miles today though, what a dilemma.

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

Maddie wrote:
Maggie! Yum What a temptation...I just got done walking 6 miles today though, what a dilemma.

6 miles! That's awesome. Wish I could say the same for myself.   

Ok...here is my review:

Love the pie. Super easy and great for littles to help with.

However, I would substitute graham crackers for the gingersnaps. I love gingersnaps, but I think they are a bit overwhelming, masking the delicious strawberries just a wee bit.

The pie sets very nicely--not runny at all!

The bottom of the crust gets a bit soft, but I think, with a cookie crust, that may be unavoidable?

I see that WFM has two different recipes for this. The recipe I posted is NOT the actual recipe I used.   

I did not notice until later last night.

Here is the recipe I used...only slightly different in terms of using cane sugar and increased water. I also substituted half of the butter for smart balance, to cut calories (there you go, Maddie!) :

No-Bake Strawberry Pie
Serves 6 to 8
This wonderfully simple pie puts your favorite ripe berries to delicious use without the need for a rolling pin or heating up the oven. If you're in a hurry, skip making your own crust and use a prepared graham cracker crust instead.

Nutrition
Per serving (1 slice/188g-wt.): 310 calories (90 from fat), 10g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 51g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 27g sugar), 3g protein
Ingredients
1 (8-ounce) box gingersnap cookies
1/4 cup butter or vegan non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
2 pounds strawberries, washed and hulled
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice sugar
Regular or dairy-free whipped cream (optional)

Directions
Pulse cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Add butter and pulse again until completely blended. Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan press into the bottom and sides. Chill in refrigerator or freezer while preparing filling.

Mash enough strawberries to measure 2 cups and transfer to a small pot; cut remaining strawberries in half and set aside. Add 3/4 cup water to the mashed strawberries and cook over medium heat until mixture begins to boil. Mix cornstarch with sugar and add to pot with mashed strawberries, stirring constantly until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to let berry mixture cool for about 15 minutes.

Fill chilled crust with remaining halved strawberries then pour berry mixture over the top and refrigerate pie for several hours to set filling and blend flavors. Cut into slices, top with whipped cream and serve.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I love strawberries!

Did you know that 6 medium strawberries have only 20 calories and they are only a 1 on the glycemic index? They make a great snack for my diabetics and well, me since I am watching my calories.

On the other hand, the pie sounds DELICIOUS!!!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version