Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Saintly Solutions--Spiritual Dryness Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Come Holy Spirit...

Part of why I picked this topic was that there seemed to be a emerging theme in our posts of our feeling worn out and sort of flailing about spiritually. Also, since Lent is a desert of its own, why not deal with dryness?

I'm going to quote the opening scripture and first paragraph here first.

Quote:
O God, Thou art my God, I seek for Thee; my soul thirsts for Thee; my flesh faints for Thee, as in a dry and weary land where no water is. --Psalm 63:1

We all have periods in our spiritual lives when praying is diffucult, boring, or unfulfilling; we feel as if we're just going through the motions, we have no sense of God's presence, and we wonder whether we're just wasting our time. Our efforts to find God seem like a failure, and we're certainly not aware of His running after us.   It seems as if the Lord has withdrawn from us and that the religious devotions and forms of prayer that we used to find helpful or engaging are no longer so. Our spiritual lives seem to be enveolped by a vast grayness, a feeling of unreality, in which we've lost our direction and focus. And we have no sense of being able to do anything to change this.

Saintly Solutions to Life's Common Problems by Fr. Joseph Esper Sophia Institute Press, Manchester, Hew Hampshire, 2001.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I'm going to start this off by sharing my experience with dryiness and how I got here.

I went through a beautiful Lent a few years ago where God spoke so clearly to me that I could hear His voice like someone speaking in my ear. I felt His Presence so fully, I went to mass nearly every day with my kids, we had a set hour for Adoration at a chapel that was quite a drive away, I facilitated a Bible study at our church, and ran the Adoration program at our own chapel. I was so full of joy, energy, and excitement for God's True Presence and His Word! I never imagined I would be where I am now.

In times of true dryness, I am especially tempted to give up my belief in God. He seems so far away that He doesn't really exist, all devotions and prayer seem pointless, and the ONLY thing that keeps me from giving up is an unshakeable belief in His True Presence in the Holy Eucharist. This is a special grace that He has given me.

I am not at that extreme yet, although I may get there.

But I have begun to realize, FINALLY, that God IS like a husband. He wants me to pursue HIM; He doesn't always want to pursue me. And when I let Him move so far from me before I start out, I have to start with baby steps. I meditate on one scripture or quote from a saint. I imagine myself on the Via Dolorosa. I force myself to say a minimum of prayers daily. As time goes on I can pick up speed.

So I invite anyone to post their own thoughts and experiences and we'll sort of see how this evolves. I wasn't thinking to come up with specific questions unless that is what people want.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2006 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I probably should have put this first, sorry.   

Here are a couple of Biblical texts I like that weren't mentioned in the book.   

The first reading from Feb 5th:

Reading from Job

The first reading from today:

Reading from Hosea

And here are an online article:
Mother Theresa

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Rachel,
Thank you so much for starting this discussion. I will read the chapter today or tomorrow morning during my prayer time and will post my thoughts then.
A Blessed Sunday to you all!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I'm linking to the online text of the scriptural and other references listed in the Saintly Solutions book. I'm going to try to do a real post later.

Psalms 13

Psalms 42: 1-3

Isaiah 58:9

Mark 13:13

Conformity to the Will of God

Other St Alphonsus Liguori Writings

Introduction to the Devout Life

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2006 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

This is a great chapter. I agree it's a good one for Lent.

Going into this Lent I have had such a difficult time keeping up with the family prayer, especially the Rosary. Since my "reversion," 13 years ago, I'm feeling especially strong about giving up now. Rachel, I was similar to you in the beginning, very active and zealous and the chapter puts the then and now in a very good analogy: it is like moving from one community to another and grieving for the lost one while being unfamiliar with the new one.

Two things jumped out from this chapter: 1.Why do we pray (to please God, not to please ourselves or gain results)?

This then is your answer whenever you feel tempted to stop praying because it seems to be a waste of time: "I am here to please God" ' St. Alphonsus Liguori

2. Good works and love of neighbor will help us to grow in love of God during periods of dryness.

'And be certain that the more advanced you see you are in love for your neighbor the more advanced you will be in the love of God; [and]to repay us for our love of neighbor, He will in a thousand ways increase the love we have for Him. St. Teresa of Avila

These thoughts are so practical as helps and reminders when the temptation hits to just skip the prayers. I also like the little ejaculations that can become habitual whenever one is fighting against a temptation. It's like turning satan's efforts against him by turning a temptation into a prayer.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2006 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I read this chapter a few days ago and I have to say that it has been one of the most uplifting things I have read. To hear about how common this spiritual dryness is among even the saints brings me great comfort indeed. I had no idea!
The author states on p284 that "quite possibly the reason our previously satisfying experiences of prayer no longer appeal to us is that the Lord is calling us to a more mature faith, one requiring a deeper foundation."
It may sound corny, but this gives me such hope! I know I can make it through this desert if I can be assured there there are better days waiting for me on the other side! What made it so hard before was that I saw NO END to it. I was floundering thinking that my faith was fading away. Now I understand the reason for this difficulty and have confidence that better things await if I persevere. And meanwhile I must remember that "the measure of prayer is not whether it pleases us, but whether it pleases God." For that reason I made the time and went and said a Rosary in front of the Blessed Sacrament in church the other day. It may not sound like much, but it is the first I have said in a very long time. It felt very good.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

This chapter was very comforting to me, as well. Though, I do see myself more as the tortoise in The Tortoise and the Hare in regards to the spiritual life...I don't have many peaks (or valleys for that matter) but just seem to very slowly plod along making tiny, tiny bits of progress in the spiritual life. Does anyone find this to be their lot, or is it just me?   

But, of course, there are times that are tougher than others, and this is one of them. The ideas that popped out of me were:

"The measure of prayer isn't whether it pleases us, but whether it pleases God..." St. Alphonus Liguori,p. 287
This is encouraging to me as when I pray the family Rosary each night, I have to say, that my mind is wandering most of the time and I get so frustrated--definitely not a "pleasing" experience.

"If you find it impmossible to pray, hide behind your good angel, and charge him to pray in your stead."    St. John Vianney, p. 287

I was glad to read this as I need to invoke the help of my Guardian Angel more often, esp. when it comes to my prayer life!

Oh, and there is a beautiful quote from St. Padre Pio from Ronda Chervin's book,
Quotable Saints: "The most beautiful Credo is the one we pronounce in our hour of darkness."

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I have benefitted from these quotes from saints, I especially like the St. John Vianney quote about the guardian angel. I thought I would try to deepen my relationship with my guardian angel this Lent.

I keep saying 'I'm not going to post to the messsage board any more'. But, I enjoy everyone's posts and ideas, that I keep coming back, and then last night, I just happen to read a good quote about spiritual dryness in the biography I'm reading.

Feeling a bit like a clumsy elephant with my post, I thought I would just invite you
here if you would like to read more.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Wow! You all have such wonderful insights, that I'm afraid I'll comment too much! I jsut want to thank you for being willing to do this study because I feel the graces at work already. The first time I read this chapter, it felt like a cool drink of water for my soul.

I also find the idea of praying to please God and not me very comforting. My husband focuses on what he gets from Mass since he isn't Catholic, but I try to remember that I am at Mass to give. Of course usually I come away wondering if I was ever at Mass at all! I need to tattoo that quote from St. Alphonsus somewhere.

Helen, I have the same feeling about posting here, but I'm very glad you did! The line on the chalkboard made me think of the quote that Gwen mentions from St. Teresa of Avila. I can do good works without the warm fuzzies but just as an act of will much more easily than pray as an act of will. Still, I am forcing myself to pray when I don't want to, and this Lent I'm taking the advice of someone (Sorry I can't remember who) from the thread that inspired this one. I'm adding back one religious practice that I'd given up.

I found an idea (on an anti-Catholic website so I'm not adding the link) that mentions going to the desert spiritually is preparation for something spiritually more difficult, like Jesus preparing for his Passion. That scares me a little. Does it anyone else?    

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

PS Willa, thank you for putting in the links!

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Dear Rachel,
The Carmelite life is referred to as a desert, perhaps that will make you feel more at ease.

I visited a botanical garden recently, which made we wonder, why all the spikey plants in the desert? There must be some hidden meaning to that.

Thank you for reading my post, I have to be considered the worst salesman in the world. I had a job once, for a very, very short time, in which I sold something. I didn't last because I agreed with the purchaser too often. "You're right,you really should save your money. This thing is not worth it."

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

HelenDilworth wrote:
I had a job once, for a very, very short time, in which I sold something. I didn't last because I agreed with the purchaser too often. "You're right,you really should save your money. This thing is not worth it."

You see, now I was a great salesperson working for Estee Lauder back in college--"Why yes, that lipstick looks beautiful on you. No, no, it isn't at all too pink, and it brings out your natural skin tone. Um, come to think of it, perhaps I could interest you in this skin-tone-defining foundation as well . . . "

But seriously, Helen, I LOVED your post--and every post at Castle of the Immaculate.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Rachel May wrote:

I found an idea (on an anti-Catholic website so I'm not adding the link) that mentions going to the desert spiritually is preparation for something spiritually more difficult, like Jesus preparing for his Passion. That scares me a little. Does it anyone else?    

On the other hand, Rachel, Isaiah 58:11 says,
"Then the LORD will guide you always and give you plenty even on the parched land. He will renew your strength, and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring whose water never fails."

From my experience, when God's given me something intense to suffer, He's given me graces that more than make up for it. This is not meant to sound saintly in the least, merely factual. Sometimes things that would SEEM to be difficult from outside become easier than one would ever expect, from the inside. That "watered garden" in the "parched land" really speaks to me for that reason.

I don't think I'm saying it very well, but I'm saying those Passions are really WORTH something and lead to Resurrection, in the long run.... God willing!

Perhaps it's a little like labor to give birth!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

HelenDilworth wrote:
I have to be considered the worst salesman in the world. I had a job once, for a very, very short time, in which I sold something. I didn't last because I agreed with the purchaser too often. "You're right,you really should save your money. This thing is not worth it."

Thanks for the link to the article!

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I just wanted to make a correction. I was told that the Missionaries of Charity spend three hours a day in adoration. I found a website with their schedule which seems to indicate that they have 2 hours scheduled. Perhaps, this person knew that the sisters also said their morning prayers in adoration as well. Since I couldn't confirm, (without calling them to bother them) I changed my post to 'at least 2 hours of adoration a day.'

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

WJFR wrote:
From my experience, when God's given me something intense to suffer, He's given me graces that more than make up for it. This is not meant to sound saintly in the least, merely factual. Sometimes things that would SEEM to be difficult from outside become easier than one would ever expect, from the inside. That "watered garden" in the "parched land" really speaks to me for that reason.

Willa,
You're right! I'm going to write that quote into my book. Reflecting on my own life, I can see that what you are saying has been true for me too. I have a tendency to get anxious and forgetful instead of just trusting, unfortunately.

Today I came across this one in James 1:2-4
"My brothers, count it pure joy when you are involved in every sort of trial. Realize that when your faith is tested this makes for endurance. Let endurance come to its perfection so that you may be fully mature and lacking in nothing."

That goes right back to the 1 Corinthians 13:11 that Theresa mentioned. I do want a more mature faith, but as I've mentioned elsewhere in reference to labor, I'm a big chicken about pain.   

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

jdostalik wrote:
This chapter was very comforting to me, as well. Though, I do see myself more as the tortoise in The Tortoise and the Hare in regards to the spiritual life...I don't have many peaks (or valleys for that matter) but just seem to very slowly plod along making tiny, tiny bits of progress in the spiritual life. Does anyone find this to be their lot, or is it just me?   

I used to be more like this. I remember that I was so frustrated that "my parents hadn't done a better job at passing on faith instead of just religion." I don't know what the tipping point was, but suddenly I felt like I was rolling down a hill and gathering speed which is why the slow patches seem so hard now.

I wonder if you continue "wisely and slow", you will feel that you start to pick up speed, or if you will have the comfort of making it to the end of this race without having worn out and given up (something that I worry about for me).

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Rachel May wrote:

I wonder if you continue "wisely and slow", you will feel that you start to pick up speed, or if you will have the comfort of making it to the end of this race without having worn out and given up (something that I worry about for me).

Rachel,

I guess my concern is with lukewarmness. I don't want to be spit out!

I have a hard time gauging my progress in the spiritual life and this is why I am praying for a spiritual director right now.   

I have to say that there are times where it is definitely more appealing to sit down and do my morning prayer/quiet time, where I find a true joy and peace in God's presence...then other times where I feel nothing...but if I still plod along with God's grace, hopefully I will make it to the end of the race!

It is so interesting how God prepares us all differently for Eternity...everyone has their own path through that narrow door, take heart, Rachel! With God's help, we'll get there!

Let the Little Ones Come

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Lukewarmness is my fear as well. When i joined the Church 13 years ago (this Easter)and for many years after I was SO in love with God, the Church, prayer, the sacraments, etc. Then somewhere along the way things just sort of slowed down. Rachel compared God to a husband, and I have to say that my Faith life has mirrored my married life quite a bit (I was married in the same year I joined the church). I know it is natural (and good) for married love to start strong, have a few dips, and then settle in steady for the long haul, so I guess that is what my faith life is doing as well. As my marital life matures, I find myself falling in love with dh again and again for different reasons than before, so must I find new reasons to fall back in love with God as my faith matures.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version