Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Ordering the day - Time Management Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 24 2010 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm in planning mode! I've been thoughtfully considering for some time now what next year might look like for each of my children, and how those individual plans might naturally connect. I've been considering anew how my lesson plans work and what they look like, asking myself if they need to change in any way. Each year I go through this process of questioning myself and honestly answering so I can brainstorm how things are working for us and improve or address areas that need attention.

Each year in doing this planning I see areas in which I'll need to stretch and grow and serve. Time management is always a challenge; I enjoy brainstorming ways to manage my time so I'm not sacrificing the quality of time or gift of self I offer to my family. I see myself needing to be present across a spectrum of ages and topics. Sometimes, time management during particular seasons of my life can be especially difficult.

I thought it would be helpful if we shared some favorite time management ideas and strategies. Angie shared one that I've found very helpful as I've turned it over and over in my mind - Switchtasking & Single Tasking. What do you do that helps you manage and prayerfully steward your time in your vocation?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

I have been doing the same types of things Jen.

I think that I have started to be very intentional about my activities. Let me try to explain. In the past I have felt that the days just become whatever needs to be taken care of that day but then the weeks fly by and the time that I am spending with my kids becomes a type of emergency mode for just getting things done.

I have made a plan, using my meal plans, homemakers notebook and my planner to use my time more efficiently. I want my days to be intentional in all decisions towards a goal.

I've done this in two ways.
1. I prayed and talked to my husband and we made a list of priorities and goals and every time I plan my day or week its with those things in mind. For example we are in a time where decisions have to be made in regard to outside the home activities for the next school year. Together with my oldest, we made some decisions allowing us to be home more often
2. Using my planner in a concrete way when I am planning out my days. I am ordering a large format 8 1/2x11 planner. Using that and ical I am going to attack my days with gusto, setting realistic goals. In the past I have planned way too much for the days and then it really goes to the wayside and no rabbit trails because I "already planned for the day". So I am going to plan to not plan

Looking forward to others thoughts.

Oh and Angie's thread has really got me thinking about multi-tasking and my need not to!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2010 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Pondering the same things lately! How funny!

Here's some quick random thoughts. I have named each day with some purpose. I may still need to change this around as I'm not sure I have it just right. But here's my current thoughts: Monday is laundry and office day, Tuesday is bathroom day, Wednesday is Holy Hour and relious ed day, Thursday is grocery and appointment day, and Friday is deep cleaning day.

On bathroom day I make any notes or corrections. For example, if there was a big toothbrush issue or something I would make plans to remedy it.

On office day I would make menus, lists, call for appointments, do calendar work, etc. I would also catch up on all laundry and laundry type issues. I also have to do 3 loads a day, but Monday is a special laundry focus day. Its also a day where I don't go anywhere, other than a quick shuffling of a child to an event.

Now, under the umbrella of these days I am trying to make lists for each child and their needs. And I hope to really study these needs and BE PRESENT and ATTENTIVE to these needs, whether they are academic, hygenic, behavioral, religious formation, hobbies, etc. This is so important to me. . . That I pay close attention to what my family needs. They don't just need clean clothes and a nice clean house. There is so much more than can slip away each day if I don't keep my eyes on my work.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2010 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I have had to go to a plan similar to Sarah's: giving each day a purpose.
I am not a schedule maker at all, and I have never liked being locked into a schedule. However, about six months ago I decided I needed accountability to make sure basic things were getting done.

I started very simply... just saying that on Mondays I would clean all the bathrooms. Every Monday.   Once I got into that habit, I started to think about *how* I would clean the bathrooms... doing it the same way each time would make it quicker and, also, a no brainer. I know it sounds lame, but I actually sat down and thought about a "bathroom cleaning plan", trying to figure out the quickest way to clean them.

My plan looks like this:
1. Gather all the rugs and towels
2. Sweep all the floors
3. Clean all the toilets
4. Clean all the sinks and tubs
5. Damp mop all the floors

For some reason, doing it that way I am able to fly from one bathroom to another (vs. doing all the cleaning in one bathroom all in one sitting, then repeating it all in the next one). I have whatever tools I need (ex. broom and dustpan) as I go from room to room.

That has worked so well I have added other chores on other days:

vacuuming on Mondays and Fridays
emptying all trashcans on Mon/Thurs (kitchen trash daily)
Changing all beds on Wed
cleaning the fridge and making a grocery list on Friday
etc

Having this very basic and simple schedule (which the kids help me with)
has really freed up my time to concentrate on planning other activities.
I don't have to stop and think: did I change the beds last week? Also, the cleaning takes much less time when it is done on a regular basis. I noticed that right away with the bathrooms.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 25 2010 at 2:25am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mimip wrote:

I think that I have started to be very intentional about my activities. Let me try to explain. In the past I have felt that the days just become whatever needs to be taken care of that day but then the weeks fly by and the time that I am spending with my kids becomes a type of emergency mode for just getting things done.

I can so relate to this. Only yesterday my 'squeakier wheel' said to me, "Mum why don't you play with me anymore?"    I'm pondering on how to take Sarah's idea of bathroom day etc to combine with doing something intentional with the children.
I'm open to suggestions.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2010 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

When I have a plan like Sarah and Melinda, and I stick to that plan, things go along well here. But, when there's a big event that comes up, like a vacation to plan for, or a 1st Communion with relatives coming, or something like that, I tend to let things fall apart. Then I'm frazzled, standing in the middle of my house, wondering where to start! Having a step by step cleaning plan, as Melinda talks about, would probably help in that situation because it would give me that first step to get the ball rolling.

The only downfall with a plan like this, for us, is that sometimes I feel like the whole house is never clean at one time. (This is where the issue of big events comes in.) I get frustrated to walk into a messy bathroom on Thursday, after I just cleaned it on Tuesday. But I guess for now, with young children, it's a matter of doing what I can. Knowing the bathrooms get really cleaned once a week is better than once a month.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

What great ideas here on this thread!

Mimip wrote:
I am ordering a large format 8 1/2x11 planner. Using that and ical I am going to attack my days with gusto, setting realistic goals.

Hey! This is exactly how I plan too, Mimi! Sounds like you're really putting some thought into your days and how you use your time, anticipating what you can and leaving lots of margin so you can be present to your home and family! Me too!!

Mimip wrote:
In the past I have felt that the days just become whatever needs to be taken care of that day but then the weeks fly by and the time that I am spending with my kids becomes a type of emergency mode for just getting things done.

I can relate. I have had these days. Do you think some seasons demand or ask this kind of *living in the moment*? These kind of days prompt a certain slowing for me. I'm not sure if that's just me or if others do this, but experiencing a run of these kind of days always seems to prompt me to slow down and do something that fosters re-connecting with my family and nurtures relationship. Does anyone else feel that way? For example, a lot of running around and meeting deadlines and trying to keep up - emergency mode as Mimi calls it - really calls me back to simplicity. A walk. A conversation on the front porch swing. Homemade lemonade and sipping together. No agenda. Just time spent together without outside intrusions. It seems to restore an inner sense of balance I need. Am I crazy? Anyone else need that? Simplicity to balance emergency/crisis/frantic seasons? This is outside of intentional time management, but it's a part of that wide margin I like to build into days.

Sarah wrote:
I have named each day with some purpose.

Sarah!!!! You hit on something I've been considering too! I'm so excited to hear how this works out for you! It's a little bit like having focus days.

Melinda wrote:
I started very simply...

It's so encouraging to hear how you do this with simplicity as the goal, Melinda. I'm trying to keep mine very simple because my days are pretty full already. I'm not nearly as far along in this as you are, but I've been trying to implement a simple kitchen day to restock my bake center and check on pantry staples, retrieve frozen meats from the freezer for fridge thawing, etc. I do so much better all the way around if I can keep my kitchen running smoothly!

Becky Parker wrote:
Having a step by step cleaning plan, as Melinda talks about, would probably help in that situation because it would give me that first step to get the ball rolling.

I really enjoyed trying focus days of chores - bathrooms one day, etc. Though it wasn't the routine we settled on in the end, the brainstorming and breaking down of the chores that went into trying focus days was a HUGE help for all of us! Now, I do swish through the day - a swish here, a wipe there...but we do a daily quick tidy of our spaces and then we all clean the house together weekly. I'm a delegator -- so I took those detailed lists of chores we developed from working through focus days and trained my children! It takes us very little time to move through the house and thoroughly clean because each child has a list with DETAILS! My non-readers get picture lists. It isn't hard to snap a couple of pictures of a chore for them and then print it. I laminate the non-reader chore list for durability. EVERYONE here has a job to do! My littlest works WITH me. Privileges after work!

I've got a couple of levels of cleaning lists that help me when an event is upcoming. I have the *calling the corners* list - this is essentially a quick tidy with a vacuum. Then, there's *standard weekly clean* - bathrooms, dusting, vacuuming, polishing some wood, thorough tidy. And finally, *bi-yearly deep cleans* which usually involve washing curtains, windows, defrosting the big freezer, and generally scrubbing the inside-outs of things.

Erin wrote:
I'm pondering on how to take Sarah's idea of bathroom day etc to combine with doing something intentional with the children.
I'm open to suggestions.

I wonder if you could rotate a few of your littlest through special "mommy training sessions" - quality time AND chore training all in one! What could be better? If not that, just keep your "squeaky wheel" with you and let her use a washcloth and some regular dish soap to wash sinks and wipe down counters while you tend to more of the *ickier* chores in bathroom cleaning. My littles LOVE cleaning sinks.

Sarah wrote:
Now, under the umbrella of these days I am trying to make lists for each child and their needs. And I hope to really study these needs and BE PRESENT and ATTENTIVE to these needs

This is so important, Sarah! I couldn't agree more! Observing. Really being attentive. This keeps me from *reacting* in the moment and instead prompts me to ask questions and wonder. Wonder how I can better serve my child. Wonder how I can stretch to better meet the day. Questions. Brainstorming. This is so helpful to me in seeking ways I can serve my family's needs.

In addition to your other ideas about time management, I'd love to hear about having regular meetings with older children. I started doing this last year and my oldest child and I have felt it was such a help to us both in terms of time management. This meeting has as its goal communication and sharing about the days, the student's needs, the direction, and planning that the child does based on my outlines. We meet weekly - on a Thursday of Friday. I'd love to hear from you if you do this. I'd like to see if there are ways I can improve this weekly meeting time so that it could be more fruitful!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 26 2010 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I keep several schedules *alive* in the background. These break out the ideal plan, one day of the week at a time. One is a list of places/activities that are outside the home. I keep this on a separate page because it is more subject to change. Like, for several months dd had dance on Mondays; now, after the recital, that's not part of Monday. So, I cross through it on my master plan for outside the home.This updates my list without making the main list look messy. More permanent needs, such as cleaning, laundry, managing paperwork are spread out among the days. Starting with an unsorted list of what all needs to be done in the week, I then assigned certain things to their best days. We don't clean all the bathrooms on the same day; cleaning by floor of the house works best for us. So, for example, on Mondays we clean the main floor, including the powder-room (a bathroom), and then on Tuesdays we clean upstairs (bedrooms, bathrooms). We may not have the whole house clean at the same time, but at least when look around on each floor there is some sense of order and calm.

On the days where outside activities are more plentiful, we do short chores, like wiping out sinks and polishing mirrors. Appointments and such are on an engagement calendar. I have a list of meal plans, sorted by headings like "Chicken", "Soups", and so forth. On paperwork day, I pull menus from those lists and make the grocery list in light of that.

School assignments are in yet another folder, which I go to when assigning academics for the week. These get written up in an assignment book, one for each child.

So, okay, it sounds like I'm looking in a thousand places in order to figure out what to do, right? Not so bad as all that. I maintain a copybook in which I write up the   *deal* for each day of the coming week; this is part of my planning and paperwork day. Because the *stuff* isn't all on the same sheet, I'm able to just look at one piece at a time. For me, this makes it feel more managable. The meshing of these various goings on is done in my planning copybook. I've not found a planner that I really like, so this is my diy version.

I go through and give each day a header (Monday, April 26)and so forth for the whole week. Then I look only at the calendar and fill in on each day what I've pulled from the calendar. Now I look at the outside the home activities and put them on there. So now I can see more clearly what kind of time I have at home. The household lists are already pretty sorted in a way that makes this clear in advance, but some weeks I need to shift chores around. Then I can go through the menu list and assign each day its meals, adjusting for how much time I'll have to make dinner.

The fact that I hand copy these things out each week helps me remember what's what. Actually what I'm doing is sorting information, one bit at a time. This process takes only about half an hour; at the end, I feel like it's possible to do what we need to do.

I hope this makes some kind of sense.

Peace,
Nancy

Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Ok, so I was just writing about how I deal with having lived in survival mode for 13 years (and no end in sight really) and my 2 yo just came up and reset my form. Which, ironically, probably illustrates whatever it was I was going to say.

I think what I was going to say is that the first step toward realistic time management in my house is accepting that everything is going to take a lot longer than it "ought" to, it's never going to be perfect, and if I can be content with slow (SLOW) improvement, I will be a lot happier. And that will make everyone else in my house a lot happier.

But maybe I'll be able to come back tomorrow and remember whatever it was I was going to say originally.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2010 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

As far as planning school goes - has anyone tried "module" or "focused subject" organization? We too are pondering schedules here (as well as just doing Spring in survival mode!). We switched to this for dd (grade 9) - she does Math and Music practice every day but just focuses on a single other subject to complete a task (eg for a week at a time) - and it is working really well. I am trying to figure out how to make this work with everyone else and myself.

I am just trying to organize things so that life is not stressed and hectic - but so as I can do everything deliberately and peacefully and thoughtfully. Not figured it out though...

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2010 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MarilynW wrote:
As far as planning school goes - has anyone tried "module" or "focused subject" organization?

Yes. This is what my oldest dd did last year and she and I both loved it. What was key? Meeting together weekly.

Dd had as required each day: math, latin, catechism. Beyond that, I had an outline of the books and topics to be studied which I broke down into more manageable chunks (quarters of work). We met weekly to discuss what she wanted to focus on for the week. She typically chose 1 or 2 subjects she wanted to focus on at a time. She really enjoyed spending time in depth reading or investigating or illustrating or writing. Because our studies were really one big unit study, everything was connected. Because of this it didn't feel abrupt to close the door on literature and move on to handworks or botany or homemaking - each were connected so they flowed naturally.

My son asked me to approach planning for him like this next year. I'm working on it because my dd and I really enjoyed approaching our days like this.

Those weekly meetings were so key! We discussed and communicated a great deal in a concentrated amount of time. We would reflect on the week and areas we felt needed more attention, or areas we might want to detour a bit and learn a little off the beaten path (I loved that there were regular opportunities to wonder like this!), and we'd talk together about the load my dd wanted to carry for the upcoming week. I was encouraging her to manage her time, so I focused on giving her special skills for doing this each week.

In terms of organizing it, Marilyn, I started just as I always did - working on resources and ideas for the year first. From there, I broke the year into quarters. Once the year was in quarters, I really dug into the details, finding online resources, outside the home projects, volunteering opportunities, movies, games, any opportunity to reinforce the theme of the quarter. I listed and connected everything on paper...and of course...I had to make it pretty for me. That quarterly paper was what we looked to each week for our meetings. We'd note when my dd started something and a date when complete. It acted as our rudder. After the weekly meeting, dd helped me detail daily work.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks Jen for your tips.

We have just planned her last quarter of Grade 9 in a similar fashion. Our quarters this year were determined by a curriculum provider - but we took their guidelines and spread it out. We discussed and planned out the quarter and I outlined it out for her in Word. She then took it and broke it down into weekly chunks. We do the meeting thing too - Mondays and Fridays. She puts all her writing assignments into an online folder for me to review.

I am trying to figure it out for next year when I will not be using a curriculum provider. And I want the older boys (who will be Grade 6) to go on a similar plan. I am trying to decide what we can realistically do and figure out an overall schedule before I purchase a single item.

I agree with the Latin every day. (we will be doing this next year - took a break this year). Also theology - we do that every day too - both as part of our family religion and also individually. Reading too.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Christine

I hesitate to share this because I think that it makes our family life look too ordered, but spontaneity is definitely not a problem in our house (it might even be my downfall).

Almost two years ago, we implemented chores based on a chore chart format that Danielle Bean had shared on her blog. I altered it for our needs and rotate the chores each month. The chore chart has worked very well for our family, as long as we stick to it and a "shirker" isn't assigned to a main chore like dishes. Our December chore chart can be seen here (with children's names omitted). It is not editable because Google Docs changes the formatting when I upload it. I can email the original in .docx format if anyone wants it.

After hearing some organized mothers speak at our Catholic homeschooling conference last year, I checked out Managers of their Homes and made this schedule. Names have been omitted again and it is editable. The children usually finish before the alotted times, but having the schedule gives me a definite hour with each child. It also ensures that we all work together on some subjects and that we get a read aloud time in during the day. The schedule is flexible and we adjust as needed, usually ending our day before the schedule shows. On Fridays, we go to Mass in the middle of the day and have a fairly open day. The children have individual lesson plans which correspond to the order of the schedule and can come to me with questions as needed.

We also have what we refer to as "car books". Car books are a workbook (i.e. vocabulary) that the children can usually do on their own. The children work in this book as their lesson plans say, but they also work on it when we are driving any distance (and not listening to an audio book), or waiting in the dentist office. Focusing on one subject like this has enabled them to easily complete their lessons in a subject.

Just in case anyone is wondering, after looking at our schedule, we use Kolbe's New Missal Latin.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Christine wrote:
and made this schedule. Names have been omitted again and it is editable.

Christine, the first document I can read, but this one is giving me an error, saying I don't have permission to read. Now, I'm wondering, why are you excluding just me?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Christine~
I love how pretty the chore chart is!!!! Ours is SO BORING, yet quite comprehensive .

And, I can't read the second one either.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Christine wrote:
After hearing some organized mothers speak at our Catholic homeschooling conference last year, I checked out Managers of their Homes and made this schedule.

This is where MOTH is so helpful to me! I love love looking at all those sample schedules in there to see how different families with different numbers of dc at different ages plan their time. It really helps give me ideas!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 27 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
Christine~
I love how pretty the chore chart is!!!!

Me too!!! I really love the little quotes you have at the bottom!

Can't wait to see your others!

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2010 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Christine

JennGM wrote:
Christine wrote:

Christine, the first document I can read, but this one is giving me an error, saying I don't have permission to read. Now, I'm wondering, why are you excluding just me?

Oops, I fixed the schedule link and made sure it is editable.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Christine wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Christine wrote:

Oops, I fixed the schedule link and made sure it is editable.

Ooooooh, it's so pretty!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 27 2010 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Christine,
I love your daily plan!!! What's so nice about it is that it helps mom see which child she's giving one-on-one time to at specific points in the day and everyone else still has direction!

Thanks for letting us peek!!! You have given me some ideas and inspiration! I'm thinking of ways I could make this work to fit our needs! THANKS so much for sharing!

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version