Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: favorite living books lists and resources Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 15 2010 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

What makes a book, a living book? According to the article, Ambleside Online: Toward a Definition of a Living Book, we can ask ourselves these questions:

Quote:
1. Is the writing of excellent quality?
    2. Does it contain living ideas and knowledge suitable for the child?
    3. Does the child react with delight caused by the spark of ideas?
    4. Does it make an impact on the reader's mind (shown by his narrations)?

With so many books to choose from, how do you choose? What resources help you to make good choices? Do you use lists that others have complied? Do you make your own lists of favorties? Please share!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

For book recommendations, I tend to search the archives here for specific topics. I also informally check out books from the library.

The booklist that I've used most recently is Cay's Catholic Mosaic Booklist.

For picture books I like to check out Caldecott Winners and Honors books.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I'm paring down on how many books we use in a given week. There are *so, so many* great, beautiful living books out there! In an effort to keep things simple and to give my kids lots of time to make connections with what we're reading, I'm choosing only a couple for each week. My favorite go-to lists for great living books are Five in a Row and the Sonlight catalog. We don't use SL curriculum, but their catalog is a booklist goldmine. :)
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Sarah M wrote:
I'm paring down on how many books we use in a given week.

So true! Sarah, how do you pare down your books? Via a unit study, current interest, or some other container/idea?

Here's an interesting topic from 2006, culling twaddle which offers interesting criteria for choosing books.

Love,

DivineMercy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 16 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote DivineMercy

In addition to the great lists mentioned so far,
Simply Charlotte Mason has a bookfinder that also help when looking for books to go with specific topics.

For science living books, of course, MacBeth's Opinion.

Real Learning, Mater Amabilis, Ambleside, Picture Perfect Chldhood, For the Love of Literature, the great Catholic homeschool providers...I could keep going on and on.

These are the first places I look then I try to preview them and choose just a few that I think mesh well together. Like Sarah said there are so many great books that I have a hard time narrowing it down.

Michelle

Back to Top View DivineMercy's Profile Search for other posts by DivineMercy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version