Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Religious Orders Unit Study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Has anyone ever planned a unit on any of the Religious Orders Catholic men or women can join? I'd like my dd11 to learn more about a few of them, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I love this idea! I haven't done any, Paula, but just trying to figure a bit what you would like it to cover?

The history of religious communities, like how they began?

Main orders over time?

Evolution of the religious habit?

Looking at the different rules, especially Rule of St. Benedict?

Different types of orders, contemplative, active (teaching, nursing, missionaries), (calced or discalced ), secular institutes, Third Orders?

Or are you thinking presenting different ones that are solidly Catholic, and categorizing them? Only US ones, or worldwide

Hoping someone has done this before?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Oh, how fun!

We have not done this, but it sounds just lovely. (And I can tell you all about the Sisters of the Holy Child Jesus - I went to Holy Child schools for 12 years. I hope that the foundress, Cornelia Connelly, will be canonized some day. She led a truly saintly life.)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

guitarnan wrote:
Oh, how fun!

We have not done this, but it sounds just lovely. (And I can tell you all about the Sisters of the Holy Child Jesus - I went to Holy Child schools for 12 years. I hope that the foundress, Cornelia Connelly, will be canonized some day. She led a truly saintly life.)

Oh yes, that can be another segment -- who founded what orders, how many are saints, how many are hopeful to be canonized.

I love the stories of Francis Assisi and Jeanne Jugan who were ousted from their own order! I wonder how many more were like that?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Didn't someone try to poison St. Benedict, too?

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

JennGM wrote:
I love this idea! I haven't done any, Paula, but just trying to figure a bit what you would like it to cover?

The history of religious communities, like how they began?

Main orders over time?

Evolution of the religious habit?

Looking at the different rules, especially Rule of St. Benedict?

Different types of orders, contemplative, active (teaching, nursing, missionaries), (calced or discalced ), secular institutes, Third Orders?

Or are you thinking presenting different ones that are solidly Catholic, and categorizing them? Only US ones, or worldwide

Hoping someone has done this before?

YES to all of your questions!

I'd love for her to have a good overview, and then pick a few to delve into more deeply.

I think it could be a wonderful study for a good part of next school year, but if someone else has already done this I'd like to shamelessly borrow their ideas!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

wonderful idea! watching this thread for more. thanks, paula!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

bumping this, hoping someone has done this before...

But if not, I'll be happy to brainstorm with you, Paula!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Me, too, Paula!

You may decide to narrow things down geographically...or by century...but I'm ready to help do research if none of our members has done a unit study like this one. It just sounds so fascinating!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

JennGM wrote:
bumping this, hoping someone has done this before...

But if not, I'll be happy to brainstorm with you, Paula!

guitarnan wrote:
Me, too, Paula!

You may decide to narrow things down geographically...or by century...but I'm ready to help do research if none of our members has done a unit study like this one. It just sounds so fascinating!

You are both lifesavers. I need all the brainstorming and researching help I can get. It's perfectly shameful, as a cradle Catholic and product of 12 years of Catholic schools, how little I know about Religious Orders. That's why I want my kids to learn about them.

I just don't know where to begin. It seems that there would be many ways to break it down, and I'm trying to think of the least overwhelming way. Ideally I thought an overview of the history of Religious Orders, when they started, why and how different ones started, what basic rules are and why they are used/followed, similarities and differences, process for Papal approval, even how to start one today.

Then I thought go into specifics of 2-4 of them, who founded them and why, when they were founded, their beliefs and missions, their rules, the history of their name, "famous" members.....

I think the lists could go on and on, right?

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

They could, Paula. Perhaps you should think a bit about the orders you wish to profile for your dd, then work back to front.

In other words, your history approach sounds great. Then, you could move into studying specific orders, their founders and charisms, etc. That's the part you'd have to do a lot of research on. (With a little help from your friends!)

I know that when my dd learned about St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (via a lovely book called Kat Finds a Friend (bear with me on title, it's been a while), she just insisted (!!!!) (that much insistence!) that we go to Emmitsburg, MD, and see St. Elizabeth Ann Seton's shrine and the grave of Kat, who was one of St. Elizabeth's order's first members...so I'm suggesting you choose which orders to study in-depth in consultation with your dd. Your experience will take on deeper meaning if your dd participates in the planning process.

I know that the first 8 times I heard the history of Cornelia Connelly and the SHCJ order, I thought it was boring. I am thankful I went to a SHCJ high school (and did their Ireland exchange program) because part of that educational process was discovering more about Cornelia Connelly's amazing life, her trials and triumphs and how today's SHCJ nuns work to teach in schools and help in the local community. I gained so much insight just by reaching age 16! And my (once scary) first grade teacher came to one of my high school religion classes and talked about how she found her vocation...it was lovely. (She has since died, and I feel sad that my dd will not meet the wonderful sister/teacher who shared a first and middle name with me.) You may discover that your dd wants to know about a specific order for reasons of her own, and that's a great thing!

PS: I still have that book and one about Mother Cabrini..also wonderful...PM me if you want to borrow them!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 28 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this up...I had some brainstorming over this weekend and hope to post soon.

But I wanted to share this great book I found a few weeks ago Women and the Religious Life in Premodern Europe by Patricia Ranft.

It's absolutely fascinating to read the history of women religious. The early religious had such respect and great influence on society. So many of the prominent male saints/religious also had an influential woman during their lifetimes. I didn't realize that Augustine had a sister!

Anyway, while this book isn't necessarily for someone who is 11, I find it fascinating to read the history. It doesn't seem to come from a liberal or feminist viewpoint.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2010 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

JennGM wrote:
...I wanted to share this great book I found a few weeks ago Women and the Religious Life in Premodern Europe by Patricia Ranft.

It's absolutely fascinating to read the history of women religious. The early religious had such respect and great influence on society. So many of the prominent male saints/religious also had an influential woman during their lifetimes. I didn't realize that Augustine had a sister!

I ordered this book through ILL, and have been reading it since Saturday.

WOW!!!!

You are right, it is fascinating. It is now on my wish list!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2010 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Paula in MN wrote:
JennGM wrote:
...I wanted to share this great book I found a few weeks ago Women and the Religious Life in Premodern Europe by Patricia Ranft.

I ordered this book through ILL, and have been reading it since Saturday.

WOW!!!!

You are right, it is fascinating. It is now on my wish list!

Oh, I'm glad you liked it, Paula. I couldn't put it down. Dh kept asking me what I was reading. It just is so fascinating reading the cooperation of men and women over the centuries, seeing the development of religious life over time -- dealing with certain issues of the culture and the day. And the author shows through history how women were strong, not oppressed, and really did wonderful things in cooperation with the Holy Spirit.

Are your wheels spinning? I find that book can just be so pivotal in establishing a good timeline with key figures and events, don't you?

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2010 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

JennGM wrote:
Are your wheels spinning? I find that book can just be so pivotal in establishing a good timeline with key figures and events, don't you?

That's just it...my mind is jumping in 15 different directions! I need to read through it again and focus on two or three areas....hard to do as this is a really great book.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version