Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: First Communion Resources Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 12 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Marybeth wrote:
One book not mentioned is St.Patrick's Summer published by Sophia Press. I believe the author is Marigold Hunt. hhhmmm....probably should have scanned my shelves before posting.

Hi Marybeth! Oh, yes, thanks for the reminder! This is one of my favorite books. It made such an impression on me as a child, and definitely a good living book to add for First Communion formation.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2010 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

My sister just sent me a link for a chalice and host cookie cutter! This is so wonderful! Wow, think of the beautiful cookies that could be made with this for a First Communion party.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Summer
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 13 2010 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote Summer

I also have a little one preparing for First Holy Communion next year.

I am planning on a year long focused study of the Mass for the whole family with an extra focus on dd's First Communion. We'll use The Mass Explained to Children by Maria Montessori and A Child's Missal. Along with many of the resources already listed. I am planning on having the children make a main lesson book with all their work and illustrations.

Also, for those who attend the TLM, did you know that there is a CGS album for the it? Montessori Candy has a link for it on her sidebar. I emailed the author and, while it is expensive, it would be a wonderful resource to use. I am hoping to buy it over the summer.

Back to Top View Summer's Profile Search for other posts by Summer

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 12:36am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JennGM wrote:
One of the books I used for my First Communion was Bishop Morrow's My First Communion (he's the same author of My Jesus and I and My Catholic Faith). It's just lovely. I've been saving my copies for my son, but I found it listed in the OLVS catalog. I haven't tracked down the actual reprinting publisher, but I'm just overjoyed to see it in print. The illustrations are just so beautiful and leave a long-lasting impression (ask my 6 siblings!).

I think I got this at CHC. I like this book a lot. My daughter read it herself this year, and then we'd talk about what she read. It's a self-contained FHC catechism, that's for sure. It's "everything" in one little booklet. If I'm ever in a spot for FHC prep that is "survival mode"...no frills/fun/extras.....that's what I'd use.    It's not very well-made/bound. It's only been through one reading with one child, and the pages are already falling out. But, oh well.

Jenn wrote:
I highly recommend Guidebook for Confession for Children
Edited by Beatriz B. Brillantes by Scepter Publishers is a wonderful booklet for confession. I think it can definitely be used for younger years for First confession...I think the age range of 9-13 is a little high.

I've been wondering about this. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
And how about King of the Golden City? The supplements?

This was above my first daughter when we prepared for FHC, but she was young. We read it this year, when my oldest was 8.5 and dd#2 is preparing, and she is 7. They get it now.....but for a young FHC recipient, I think it's too much.   We also have the one with discussion questions at the end, which I LOVE...it helps a lot!

Jenn wrote:
Any favorites from Neumann Press? Like "First Communion Days"?

We LOVE these!!!!! My daughter is making her 2nd way through both of these books. She loves them. They are very sweet stories.   This is the other one: True Stories for First Communicants. They are "musts" for us. Tarcisius and St. John Vianney are in there!

I like the CHC prep supplement a lot too!!!!   ESPECIALLY the First Confession Prep.

And, we use the Angel Food Stories a lot for 1st Conf and 1st Comm prep, with Jen's spreadsheet (link later for future reference.)

I've also used several parts from this prayer book: Jesus, Make Me Worthy over the past month. There are some good sections in there about Holy Communion and Mass, etc.

And, someday I want to get these printed out....The Eucharist: the bread of eternal life and Eucharistic Miracles and Saints.

Here are a couple other resources that we use that aren't listed above:
::Glory Stories of Blessed Imelda and St. Clare.
::First Eucharist Coloring Book from Our Father's House.
::Precious Life Books
::My Confession Book

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 12:39am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Summer wrote:
Also, for those who attend the TLM, did you know that there is a CGS album for the it? Montessori Candy has a link for it on her sidebar. I emailed the author and, while it is expensive, it would be a wonderful resource to use. I am hoping to buy it over the summer.

Thanks for mentioning this, Summer....someone mentioned that a couple weeks ago and I was wondering about it.

I fixed the link in your post, so that it will go directly to that post on her blog.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SuzanneG wrote:
JennGM wrote:
One of the books I used for my First Communion was Bishop Morrow's My First Communion (he's the same author of My Jesus and I and My Catholic Faith). It's just lovely. I've been saving my copies for my son, but I found it listed in the OLVS catalog. I haven't tracked down the actual reprinting publisher, but I'm just overjoyed to see it in print. The illustrations are just so beautiful and leave a long-lasting impression (ask my 6 siblings!).

I think I got this at CHC. I like this book a lot. My daughter read it herself this year, and then we'd talk about what she read. It's a self-contained FHC catechism, that's for sure. It's "everything" in one little booklet. If I'm ever in a spot for FHC prep that is "survival mode"...no frills/fun/extras.....that's what I'd use.    It's not very well-made/bound. It's only been through one reading with one child, and the pages are already falling out. But, oh well.

It's always been poorly printed, even way back when I was a child. We always cover with Contact Paper, but the pages require some diligence.

Thanks for the reviews and recommendations!

This is turning out to be a great thread for resources. Thank you all!!!!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Not, a CONTENT resource.....BUT, one of the other threads reminded me of these Notebooking Pages!!!!!!! as a GREAT tool if you are doing an FHC notebook!!!!! She has 50% off sales a few times a year....so sign up for email specials, and you can get a set of two very inexpensively!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 12 2010 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this up in case anyone has some great First Communion Resource to add to this thread.

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Thanks for posting this!

We have really benefitted from using the New Saint Joseph First Communion Catechism (beware the Resurrection talk on page 33 and 49 - be sure to explain that as Jesus is God He rose by His own power), Jesus Comes, and making a copybook for the main FC catechism questions. Our favorite saint stories to add were Blessed Immelda, St. Tarcisius, and Little Nellie. My youngest daughter really identified with Nellie!

We've added coloring pages to our website now, too, in case you would like an easy reference for fun things to do for many catechism ideas.

Of course, we really recommend St. Anne's Helper First Communion Catechism Audio and Copybook

Thanks for the great ideas - especially of making a notebook for First Communion. As much as I love the notebook idea, I haven't done as much as I would like. FC would make a great subject!

Mary
St. Anne's Helper
www.Roman-Catholic-Catechism.com
www.A-Z-Worksheets.com

Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 17 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping again, as I know lots of people are "prepping for FHC prep!"

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Thanks for bumping again, Suzanne.

I just re-read this thread and rejoice to see the notebooking link again. The notebooking site looks phenomenal!

I have, (so far) one more child left to prepare for First Holy Communion and I really look forward to using the notebooking idea with him which I had forgotten till this moment. Thanks for the link.

We also spent the last few minutes enjoying your blog www.houseofgallus.typepad.com/, what a beautiful family! (As per your signature, is baby due in 2011 or already amongst us? Congratulations either way.) We especially enjoyed your Lenten table, we do a similar thing with even a similar table! I love the addition of the picture frame for switching out pictures! It could be used for most any season or even preparing through the year for First Communion or Confirmation.

If anyone would like to add First Communion and other free coloring pages to print, they can find them here:

www.roman-catholic-catechism.com/coloring-pages-to-print.htm l

Mary

St. Anne's Helper First Communion Audio CDs and Worksheets

www.Roman-Catholic-Catechism.com
www.A-Z-Worksheets.com

Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

Summer
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 17 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote Summer

We are planning for FHC this year, too. As part of our studies we will be studying the Traditional Latin Mass in depth.

I planned out 30 lessons for the year based on Maria Montessori's The Mass Explained and A Child's Missal by Patmos Press. We'll also do CGS lessons to complement. The children will make their own Mass book based on the lessons.

If anyone is interested, I can post the lessons as they are in a word doc. Just let me know. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the times other moms have posted their plans.

Back to Top View Summer's Profile Search for other posts by Summer

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 2:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Summer wrote:
If anyone is interested, I can post the lessons as they are in a word doc. Just let me know. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the times other moms have posted their plans.

Yes, that would be great. Love the sharing of resources so everyone doesn't have to recreate the wheel.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Indeed, Mary!

I love the forum format. I've only been on any forum for about a year but have been thrilled with what I have figured about forums and how informative they are, especially with the search function.

Mary

Saint Anne's Helper for Catechism Class

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Summer wrote:
We are planning for FHC this year, too. As part of our studies we will be studying the Traditional Latin Mass in depth.

I planned out 30 lessons for the year based on Maria Montessori's The Mass Explained and A Child's Missal by Patmos Press. We'll also do CGS lessons to complement. The children will make their own Mass book based on the lessons.

Here are those wonderful plans. Thank you Summer!
2010-08-18_103217_First_Holy_Communion_Plans_by_Summer.pdf

momma_2fold
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote momma_2fold

Thank you all so much for all these great resources!!

My oldest is preparing this year for his FHC & while we have the CHC program I've been looking for some other ideas to help him prepare. And these are awesome!
Back to Top View momma_2fold's Profile Search for other posts by momma_2fold

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

I must share this treasure with all of you, but most especially the new moms and mothers of kindergarten, first grade and second grade children.

We make a full 8.5 x 11 (folded in half) card for keeping track of treasures for First Communion. We do a similar thing for Confirmation, too. I sketch/trace a First Communion image or symbol on the outside. A holy card with stamped frame is beautiful, too. On the inside, the First CommuniKIN marks his or her Treasures in colored gel pens or what ever fancy pens are available. Later, close to the First Communion date he can color the cover, and the last few weeks he can outline the cover images with glitter glue - that really builds excitement in our house. Finally he gets to use the glitter glue - and it makes his year's work so beautiful!

We use the following symbols or something close:

Mass and Rosary (public, family or personal)- diamond
Extra prayers of any sort - pearls
Acts of Love - hearts (fun in pink or red)
Sacrifices - crosses

The children really treasure this piece and want to show it to their Godparents after their First Communion.

Also, we have learned to make a Novena of Masses after the First Communion.

Another priority for me at that time is for the whole family to start the Nine First Fridays to the Sacred Heart and the Five First Fridays In Reparation to Our Lady's Immaculate Heart. It is the best time for the First Communicant to make these devotions if they can make the acts of love that go with them and the rest of us can always improve. So far, I only have two children left! The trick throughout the year is to make sure to do the Confession eight days before or after and the Rosary plus the 15 minutes meditation for the Five First Saturdays. Snow and Holy Saturday caught us this last year.

These are cherished traditions in our family.

Saint Anne's Helper for Catechism Class

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary, those are wonderful traditions! Thank you!

Your post reminds me of my friend Evann's FHC traditions:

First Communion Banners

More Traditions

Mary Box

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2011 at 3:32am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Through a German Catholic News Service I stumbled upon this book translated in German.
I ordered it without any reviews, knowing only that it must be orthodox otherwise it would not have been recommended by the website...

I am really glad I did. I would say it is a comprehensive preparation for a child's FHC. It covers Salvation Hilstory: Paradise, the fall, God's plan and overview of the Patriarchs, Moses, King David... preparing God's people for the coming of the Saviour. Chapters 4, 5 and 6 are about Jesus, His mission and teachings. Chapter 7 - The Church. Chapter 8 - Confession. 9 - the Eucharist. 10 - The parts of the Mass. 11 - the other Sacraments. 12 - Prayer. At the end of the book there is an examination of conscience , a plan of the inside of a church describing the differents areas...
The pictures are captivating for my girls. For my youngest it is really important that there are LOTS of pictures. This book fulfills her expectations. The illustrator makes use of the illuminations technique in many details.

I could not find the book on amazon.com. It says OOP although it was first published in 2010. Have any of you seen this book in English? I am wondering what others think of it.
This is not a book that touches my girls' hearts as deeply as the stories in First Communion Days or other Neumann Press books do, but the layout and the loving and faithful way of presentation of God's Holy Church in this book is an important framework for any FHC prep. IMO

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That looks really fabulous! It seems it's only available in the UK in English, and it's an Irish Press. I'd love to see it.

Is it written in prose or narrative style, or like a catechism?

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version