Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Books on Manners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 19 2006 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Any suggestions on books about good manners? Table manners, being a gracious guest, general etiquette?
Thanks.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2006 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

We really like Karen Santorum'sEveryday Graces : Child's Book Of Good Manners .

Here is a brief description (go to Amazon for many reviews):
In Everyday Graces: A Child's Book of Good Manners, Karen Santorum has produced for parents and teachers a wonderfully rich and instructive anthology. Her volume speaks to the regrettable fact that the subject of manners is not much discussed anymore, and good manners seem practiced even less. Yet, good manners are a prerequisite for the growth of moral character; they are the habits of conduct and behavior by which we express in the most ordinary circumstances our fundamental respect for others, whether parents, friends, colleagues, or strangers. It is evident, then, that when we fail to instill good manners in our youth we invite a decline of civility and a coarsening of our common life. Under such headings as "Honor Your Mother and Father", "Please and Thank You", "No Hurtful Words", "Good Behavior in Sport",and "Showing Respect for Country",Mrs. Santorum has arranged a collection of stories and poems that will develop and enrich the moral imagination. Some of her selections are well known; others are forgotten gems that deserve a new hearing. Authors include Hans Christian Anderson, Beatrix Potter, Mark Twain, Frances Hodgson Burnett, M. Montgomery, C. S. Lewis, Max Lucado and Arnold Lobel, to name only a few. Karen Santorum writes that this anthology "grew out of the frustration of not being able to find a book on manners that instructs through stories rather than by rules of dos and don'ts." Each of her selections has been tried and tested on her own children, and each is introduced and concluded by her own thoughtful commentary. The result is an informality and intimacy that is inviting and infectious. Everyday Graces will be useful both as a bedside book and as a reference for home, school, and church library.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Hi Shawna,
For little ones we like What do you say, dear? and What do you do, dear?.

We are also very fond of Everyday Graces.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2006 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Shawna,

I will bring Everyday Graces to you tomorrow.......along with:

The Thingumajig Book of Manners by Irene Keller

A Little Book of Manners for Boys by Bob & Emilie Barnes

and

A Little Book of Manners for Boys by Emilie Barnes

all of which I highly recommend!

and.......someday hope to write a unit study for...   

I just put them in a bag by the front door so I will not actually forget!

.......you KNOW me   

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2006 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Or, Shawna........you could just have your children spend time at ther Bryan's house........I am SURE we could give your kids good example on proper behavior......

ESPECIALLY when we are all asleep!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 5:01am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Hi Shawna,

I have Emily Post's The Gift of Good Manners: A Parent's Guide to Raising Respectful, Kind, Considerate Children on my shelf. It's nicely organized, with each section about the behavior and expectations for an age group (0-1, 1-3, 3-5, 6-10, 11-14, 15-18).

I also have a workbook called Proper Manners and Health Habits.

I have been looking for stories to read aloud that highlight nice manners and I wondered about CHC's Stories to Learn By. Has anyone used this?

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote soodow

We have a fun poetry book that I remembered being read to as a child that is called Goops and How to be Them, by Gelett Burgess. (You do NOT want to be a Goop )
The children, age 4,6,& 8, just learned a poem called Generosity (our virtue of the month). There is another also called Goops and How not to be Them.
Sue
Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

soodow wrote:
We have a fun poetry book that I remembered being read to as a child that is called Goops and How to be Them, by Gelett Burgess. (You do NOT want to be a Goop )
The children, age 4,6,& 8, just learned a poem called Generosity (our virtue of the month). There is another also called Goops and How not to be Them.
Sue

Sue -- we grew up on the Goops and I love them! I'm still on the hunt for a hardcover copy -- but here's a softcover print Goops and How to Be Them. Lots of fun of what NOT to do! There is a hardcover "treasury" that I might just have to check out....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Wanted to second (or third) Everyday Graces - my kids LOVE it!!!

The Goops books look great!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Thank you all SO much! And while I appreciate Chari's humor, he children actually have wonderful manners...particularly on the telephone. So, I am happy to borrow her resources!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2006 at 5:24am | IP Logged Quote Erin

We love a book by Harriet Ziefert called Someday We'll Have Good Manners
It presents things in a funny, irreverant way.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2006 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I personally liked Elbows Off the Table, Napkin in the Lap, No Video Games During Dinner : The Modern Guide to Teaching Children Good Manners by Carol McD. Wallace as a read together with dd but her favorite that she knows forwards and backwards and where exactly it should be in the library is Oops!: The Manners Guide for Girls by The American Girl Library.

The first is organized by behaviors, then age groups which I found very user friendly, perfect for a section a day read aloud. We were able to finish the book off before boredom set in. Always a plus!

As a girl, our library had quite a collection of ancient etiquette books that I adored and would lug around. Anyone else enjoy that intimate view into the past?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2006 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Marianna reminded me of another wonderful book, a reprint from long, long ago (1880) that is quite funny and requires no lugging as it is a little, tiny thing!
Don't: A manual of mistakes & improprieties more or less prevalent in conduct and speech

A few favorites:
    Don't, when you drink, elevate your glass as if you were going to stand it inverted on your nose, as some do. Bring the glass perpendicularly to the lips, and then lift it to a slight angle. Do this easily.
    Don't throw yourself loungingly back in your chair. The Romans lounged at table, but modern civilization does not permit it.
    Don't talk with your mouth full - never, in fact, have your mouth full. It is more healthful and in better taste to eat by small morsels.

Good for giggles at teatime when read in a va-a-r-ry posh voice whilst crooking little finger on teacup.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 24 2006 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Thanks so much for this thread - we have especially enjoyed the books by Munro Leaf. They are perfect!

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

One book that I have found valuable is American Catholic Etiquette by Kay Toy Fenner, Newman Press (1961). It is a general etiquette reference book that talks in detail about etiquette for different sacraments and for a happy family life. I think it is OOP. I found one at our local used bookstore for a few dollars.

Here are the chapter headings:

Baptism
Penance and Extreme Unction
Holy Eucharist
Confirmation
Holy Orders
Funeral, Burial and Mourning Etiquette
Engagement and Pre-Nuptial Entertaining
Wedding Correspondence and Printed Forms
Planning a Wedding
The Elaborate Wedding Ceremony
Simpler Weddings
The Mixed Marriage
Making Your Wedding More Catholic
Nuptial Entertaining
Duties of a Parishioner
Honoring Our Clergy
Behavior at Mass
Educating Our Children
The Home Life of Catholics
Guidance and Manners for Children
Guidance and Manners for Sub-Teens
Guidance and Manners for Teenagers
Fast and Abstinence
Correct Modes of Address

Each chapter is very detailed and gives guidelines on specific situations. I think it is a very useful book.

God Bless,
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rebecca wrote:
One book that I have found valuable is American Catholic Etiquette by Kay Toy Fenner, Newman Press (1961). It is a general etiquette reference book that talks in detail about etiquette for different sacraments and for a happy family life. I think it is OOP. I found one at our local used bookstore for a few dollars.

Yes, my favorite book on Catholic manners by far! I had two other suggestions The Catholic Layman's Book of Etiquette by Robert C. Broderick, M.A., 1957. It covers a few more topics than the above, but I like the above better in some areas...so that's why I have both to cover all the bases.

One book for Catholic etiquette I did not like, but some people have found it helpful is Catholic Etiquette. I thought some were merely suggestions, and there was no "right or wrong" presented in behaviors...a lot of grey area! But that's just my opinion.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dawn wrote:
I have been looking for stories to read aloud that highlight nice manners and I wondered about CHC's Stories to Learn By. Has anyone used this?

Dawn,

This is a book by the Daughters of St. Paul. They have reprinted this newer edition with newer pictures. The stories are great...not great writing, but good stories. I grew up with this in our family and the stories and pictures were memorable. I'd recommend looking for the older copyright. Not all the stories are about manners, but character, like cleaning up your room, being patient, sharing... I'd also recommend Father Brennan's Favorite Stories as a great read aloud.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version