Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Sons and Technology Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 08 2010 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

JennGM wrote:

Without turning back the clock completely, how can we find that balance?

Obviously, we all use the internet and it's here to stay. It is like food. There is a big difference between a wholesome homecooked meal and twinkies. And you can eat too much a wholesome meal as well.

But, gosh darn, I and my family have benifited so much by what we have learned on the internet about the faith and family living.

For us moms, sometimes it can be easier to keep 'learning' instead of doing. It is the same thing that happens to the boys and playing games. It is easier than real life. So there is the balance. Learn, step back and live what you've learned.

For the boys we have to provide external controls because it does not come naturally to most of them. They have to be challenged to do real things. Reading, writing, work, building, conversations, service.... As they get older they also have to be aware of the pitfalls of electronic entertainment.

My mom says that her older children whose early childhoods did not include TV, watch very little now as adults. We can take it or leave it. The younger ones who had TV are almost addicted.

I am so grateful to discuss this too, it's such a challenge. I so want a quieter, home. The more external stimuli, the less we can hear God.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Bridget wrote:
For us moms, sometimes it can be easier to keep 'learning' instead of doing. It is the same thing that happens to the boys and playing games. It is easier than real life. So there is the balance. Learn, step back and live what you've learned.

My mom says that her older children whose early childhoods did not include TV, watch very little now as adults. We can take it or leave it. The younger ones who had TV are almost addicted.

I am so grateful to discuss this too, it's such a challenge. I so want a quieter, home. The more external stimuli, the less we can hear God.

Amen Bridget. You are always a fount of practical wisdom. I so agree with all the above. Just to note that my husband and I grew up without TV and we are not a TV watching family at all (though we do family movies on dvd and some sports occasionally)

I have no teenage boys yet - but I know that being free of tv and video games and all the other "noise" is the right choice for our family.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2010 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Yesterday I heard Christopher Check, President of the Rockford Institute give the most amazing lecture on technology - called "Liberation from E-Slavery". It was really good. I am so hoping to be able to be able to get the cd for it. Here is the description of the lecture:

"The gadgets and systems of modern communication technology, while perhaps not intrinsically evil, represent grave moral dangers. They promise greater freedom, stronger relationships, and increased knowledge, but do they free us or do they enslave us? Most importantly, what is their effect on our relationship with God?"

I highly recommend this lecture - not just for our boys but for us too!!

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2010 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Marilyn, I was there and heard the lecture too! Wish I'd known to look for you. Anyway, yes, I quite enjoyed his lecture. I agree with so many things he covered, and especially noted what he said about word processors, something I'd never questioned before. He pointed out that all these electronics are supposed to make our lives easier and better, but they all end up increasing our busyness and yet not substantially enhancing our wisdom. In the case of word processors, the ease of revision should mean that great literature should just be flowing forth at an astounding rate compared to the earlier centuries but how many of us would say we have Shakespeares and Dickens and Melvilles writing now? (I'm greatly paraphrasing here)

And the internet makes researching something so much easier, or does it, b/c we now have to sift through so many choices and have to discern the truth ourselves!

gave me a lot to think about.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2010 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Marilyn,
Do you know of a website, etc. that I could order this talk from? Sounds wonderful!
Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Karen T wrote:
Marilyn, I was there and heard the lecture too! Wish I'd known to look for you. gave me a lot to think about.

Karen T

I am sorry I missed you too Karen! There were so many people - I did meet lots of 4realers but usually when I bumped into them!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2010 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Betsy wrote:
Marilyn,
Do you know of a website, etc. that I could order this talk from? Sounds wonderful!

Betsy

Christopher Check does not have a website or store. I did go back this morning and pick up a cd - it is called "Chesterton Unplugged: Liberating ourselves from e-slavery"   - on the cd it says that you can call 1-815-624-4864 or email cjcheck@verizon.net for copies.

I really recommend it - we have been in the car all day today and the whole family has been listening to it - it does help that we are a house full of "Chestertonphiles!!"

And now to log off and start liberating myself from e-slavery...!!!!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 12 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Can I say that it is at least a LITTLE funny that we are confused about how to buy his lecture on E-slavery because he doesn't have a website! I mean, OF COURSE he doesn't have a website

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Lindsay, that is ! I didn't even think of that!

karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version