Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Joy in Your Homeschool? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
antonina31
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2010 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote antonina31

I am curious how mothers maintain an atmosphere of joy in their homeschool. I know this is a difficult question to answer, but mostly, I am looking for wise words and practical tips for mom.

I am hoping to hear some ideas on staying positive and ensuring our children enjoy learning while maintaining structure, routine, standards, and discipline in our homeschools. Perhaps you can share ways to address specific complaints our children have, like why they have to do math every day or why their younger brother doesn't have to do as much work as they do, too!

True joy is something I have been reflecting on a lot lately, and I thought this might be a great place to find some inspiration on making that joy a real part of our lives. What are your thoughts?

Blessings,
Jenny
Back to Top View antonina31's Profile Search for other posts by antonina31

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 10 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

I cannot wait for the responses to this thread!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

A couple threads from the archives for some joyful reading!

**Mothering and Choosing Joy. There are some wonderful things to ponder in that thread! It's worth a quick click over!
**Are you fun? I know FUN is not the same as JOY, but there are some interesting considerations in there, when thinking about bringing joy into our hearts and homes.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

And there are a couple other threads too...don't have time to link but here are the threads with JOY in the subject!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

antonina31
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 10 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote antonina31

Thanks, Suzanne, for all those wonderful threads! There are some wonderful ideas for joy in daily life in the posts you list. I enjoyed many of the thoughts in are you fun? and Finding the everyday Joy!

I think the only part I saw missing (but maybe I overlooked some comments?) was how to keep the "school time" joyful. I wonder about the atmosphere of the learning room. It is very hard for me not to be a task-master, even with wonderful materials that we all enjoy. I still feel an obligation to move from one thing to the next, especially this time of the year when we are trying to finish certain books. And, I would love to hear how moms remind their children to be cheerful while they work.

Blessings,
Jenny

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I have been contemplating alot about joy and homeschooling this past year. The two were not synonymous in our house until just a little while ago. The catalyst for the change was my cancer. This prompted me to do a lot of soul searching about the path our family was taking via homeschooling. Hsing had become too rigid for me. Having gone through my cancer experience, it thrusted me into more of a relaxed style of teaching my kids.

The last little while I have been forsaking curriculum and have been teaching my kids on my own. I am still using curriculum but it is my guide now instead of my master. I am not enslaved to curriculum any more. This has been very freeing for me which has led to joy, not only for me but for my kids.

I have forgone curriculum for the content subjects to making up my own unit studies. The kids are loving them. It has been fun for me, too. I have also put the latin books aside and am teaching all 3 of my kids latin via index cards and games. This has just started so the jury is still out on whether it will work or not.

I have also taken to using picture books as a basis for some of our language arts learning. Today we read Henry's Freedom Box and we diagrammed some of the sentences. Last week, we read A Packet of Seeds and we used that book as a jumping off point of discussing literary devices and we started making up our own. The kids have a blast with this. I do it all with three of them. My youngest is learning a great deal through this type of teaching.

Another thing that has changed is that we are discussing more about the books we are reading. Before, I would read the book and that was it. Now, we discuss the books and any issues that arise from those readings. We are reading Oliver Twist right now. This has given us many talks on the industrial revolution and the bias towards poor people that others have. It has been such fun to hear my kids' opinions on these issues. They surprise me at how much they actually know!

These are a few of the ways that we have brought joy into our home.   I have noticed, too, that since we have made these changes, the kids are not grumbling as much as they used to. This is a huge positive for me.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

For us, it's remembering that my son is still discovering the world - I don't want him discouraged in the process, but still challenged and constantly growing. So I try to be where he is - share the joy of discovery with him.

So far, so good! I love when he comes to me and says, "Mommy, I just recognized something. I just recognized that... (list whatever incredibly obvious thing he just realized - like that the days of the month fluctuate 30/31, but February sticks out by itself)".

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 11 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

A chocolate stash. All homeschooling moms must keep a chocolate stash where they can take a 2 minute break, alone, with their chocolate and get their joy back.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

I enjoyed reading through the threads that Suzanne shared. I'm afraid I don't have anything to add. This last year of homeschooling for us as been extremely difficult. The grace to do it just hasn't seemed to be there like it was in previous years and I so want it to be fun and to enjoy it again. My youngest is in Kindergarten and I had such a lovely time doing kindergarten with my now 5th grader. I want that for my youngest too.   

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 12 2010 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Macmom

OK, in all seriousness-
St. John Bosco. What an educator! Reading things by and about him has been quite an inspiration. You can't be a good teacher unless you are enthusiastic and loving! His motto was "Charity and cheerfulness." That was how he attracted so many of these previously unreachable boys- he was loving and joyful, and they were intrigued. So make time (find opportunities) to crack a joke with the children.... not just tell them what to do. STOP and watch the bunny hopping across the yard, or the incredible snowstorm.... even if it's 3 p.m. and there is STILL math to finish up.

I had a annus horribilis last school year. My oldest daughter was committed to a treatment center for 3 months with an eating disorder, and her "therapist" blamed our large family and hoomeschooling for her issues. I was depressed, irrational, going crazy myself..... but after about 6 months of crying every day, screaming at God, I realized I had to claw my way out of this for the remaining children and my husband. Among other things, reading John Bosco helped. If I can find joy again, then it's possible for everyone.

But I will say, as a 12 year veteran homeschooler, some days are just busy and... well, a little joyless. Those days happen. Just don't let them be the rule at your house.

Peace,
Macmom

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2010 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote florasita

My biggest learning momemt to restore peace & joy is to Listen ! Listen to our children ! when raising tweens & teens .I tended to wish to have control and as we know this is the biggest time in our childrens lives when t5hey are trying to also find areas in which they have control in thier own lives .
The second thing I learned was Back off ! Yes our 2nd dd told me this when one of her brothers was 12yo . Mum just step back . Sometimes our response is not to respond but just to step back , pray and listen .
I saw it was also I who took part in negative confrontation . I learned the difference between positive confrontation & negative
Also am I ever less uptight then when I first had kids and most would not have even considered me to be so , but was I ever compared to now .
   So not much more than that for us .
Our kids are quiet , so am I so we really don't have many non joy or peaceful days . If one comes up I like I said know the steps to take . Today for instance with it being awful time of yr and cabin fever etc. we are going thrifting & tea later in bed reading books .
relax and don't sweat it is a policy for us

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

If you can get your hands on Rachel Watkins' talk from the Family-Centered Learning Conference last year, it is full of the advice you seek. It doesn't seem to be available anymore from the site, though. Rachel told everyone that they must "guard their joy" and to be aware of what sucks away your joy and stay away from it so as not to hand over your joy voluntarily. It was excellent advice, and she was so inspiring!

Maybe Michelle will see this and let you know where you might find it? I think there are some copies of it floating around the boards here, so someone might let you borrow it.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mamalove
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 12 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote mamalove

J-Jesus first
O- others second
Y- yourself last

live this yourself and train the children in this motto.

CCC# 736 By this power of the Spirit, God's children can bear much fruit. He who has grafted us onto the true vine will make us bear "the fruit of the Spirit: . . . love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control."
"We live by the Spirit"; the more we renounce ourselves, the more we "walk by the Spirit."

Pray more.

"Hitherto you have not asked any thing in my name. Ask, and you shall receive; that your joy may be full" John xvi 24

remember....relax...its later than you think
Back to Top View mamalove's Profile Search for other posts by mamalove

antonina31
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 12 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote antonina31

CrunchyMom wrote:
If you can get your hands on Rachel Watkins' talk from the Family-Centered Learning Conference last year, it is full of the advice you seek. It doesn't seem to be available anymore from the site, though. Rachel told everyone that they must "guard their joy" and to be aware of what sucks away your joy and stay away from it so as not to hand over your joy voluntarily. It was excellent advice, and she was so inspiring!

Maybe Michelle will see this and let you know where you might find it? I think there are some copies of it floating around the boards here, so someone might let you borrow it.

Yes! Thank you for the reminder! I actually bookmarked Michele's post from November when she announced the talks were ready for download intending to purchase the mp3 of Rachel's talk, but my good intentions got lost in the holiday shuffle. It sounds wonderful!

Michele, can I buy it from you now even though it's not on the website anymore? Or perhaps someone else can help me out? I hope I can get a copy soon. Thanks, Lindsay!

Blessings,
Jenny

antonina31
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 12 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote antonina31

Macmom wrote:
OK, in all seriousness-
St. John Bosco. What an educator! Reading things by and about him has been quite an inspiration.

Macmom, thanks for the great perspective and inspiration. I have never read anything by St. John Bosco, just a few things about him, but I'm intrigued. Can you recommend some titles?

Jenny

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

antonina31 wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

Yes! Thank you for the reminder! I actually bookmarked Michele's post from November when she announced the talks were ready for download intending to purchase the mp3 of Rachel's talk, but my good intentions got lost in the holiday shuffle. It sounds wonderful!

Michele, can I buy it from you now even though it's not on the website anymore? Or perhaps someone else can help me out? I hope I can get a copy soon. Thanks, Lindsay!

Blessings,
Jenny

I'm sorry about that --I have been looking for a better delivery method for the mp3's which is why it's not listed there but I do still have it so if anyone wants it you can contact me at Family-Centered Press.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2010 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

OK they are back on the website!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

antonina31 wrote:
Macmom wrote:
OK, in all seriousness-
St. John Bosco. What an educator! Reading things by and about him has been quite an inspiration.

Macmom, thanks for the great perspective and inspiration. I have never read anything by St. John Bosco, just a few things about him, but I'm intrigued. Can you recommend some titles?

Jenny

I'm not Macmom....Nina here. But we do love the 40 Dreams of Saint John Bosco book. My older kids have read it over and over. I think it is TAN publishers. God bless.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Sorry not Macmom but my absolute favorite book with loads of spiritual instights into Don Bosco is a book by Edna Phelan called

Don Bosco A Spiritual Portrait Published by Doubleday in 1963. Unfortunately OOP. (At least it was)

Here's an old blog post of mine where I pulled out some concepts from this book: Marvelling at Don Bosco

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Macmom wrote:
A chocolate stash. All homeschooling moms must keep a chocolate stash where they can take a 2 minute break, alone, with their chocolate and get their joy back.

I'm with you here Macmom!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version