Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Markers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 09 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I have really enjoyed the thread on colored pencils and would love to hear recommendations for markers.

I recently bought the 20 marker set of Faber-Castells and we have enjoyed them. The color selection is nice, the color is vibrant on the paper, the triangular shape and grips make them easy to hold. The only draw back is that I could only find them in fine tip.

The Dick Blick store didn't have Prang and I was wondering if Prang made markers and if anyone had any experience with these in particular.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I do not know if Prang makes markers.

For my older children, I like Pentel. I have this set which comes in a nice package. A better picture of the pens and description can be found on the Pentel website (edited to add this link). I do not know if they sell a thicker tip marker.

For my younger children, I like Crayola because they are washable. In addition to Crayola's regular markers, my children also like Crayola's Pip Squeaks and their Color Switchers. I don't think that the latter are washable.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I know Prang makes markers and I've seen them somewhere (sorry, can't remember where), but don't have any experience with them.

here's a link

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2010 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I got a nice set for my DC at MIchaels. It comes in a block and has 100 markers in it of many shades. The brand is Fibracolor.
After 6 months of continuous use they are still going strong. I think the set was $20, but I used a coupon, of course

Fibracolor marker set

This is the one we have

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I do find markers have a definite place in the art box! They are such a useful tool for posters, printing, outlines, and bright, brilliant colors.

Having dabbled in calligraphy for many years, I'm very partial to chisel tipped markers for most of my markers. And then I love Sharpies in every shape and color! But of course, they are permanent ink, so not something for little ones to use unattended.

My favorite calligraphy supply store carries and reviews various calligraphy markers. The Zig markers are quite popular, with different types, but I love the calligraphy-style ones. When I do scrapbooking and calligraphy these are the kind I like to use. Again, permanent.

Dick Blick has loads of different kinds. Remember those Sanford Mr. Sketch Smelly markers? Nice and thick points, lovely colors and wonderful scents (and washable). They also have non-scented, too. Those were my favorites growing up, and I was thrilled to find some this year again. I thought they didn't make them anymore.

I also like Crayola markers, except for the tips! I guess I'm the old fashioned chisel tip type of gal.

And a local art shop was closing and I bought out some various Pentel and Berol markers.

Another option in tips is the newer brush style tip markers. It opens a new world in markers.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We have a really nice set of Prismacolor markers (from Dick Blick), which we love. The color is vibrant, they blend well, and they don't leave streaks when coloring in a large area.They also are dual-pointed, with thin on one end and a broad, chisel-point on the other. I love that feature.
They are, however, permanent and very stinky. Use them with caution around littles.
For just plain old coloring for the little guys, we use Crayola on sale.
Prismacolor markers

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 09 2010 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

SeaStar wrote:
I got a nice set for my DC at MIchaels. It comes in a block and has 100 markers in it of many shades. The brand is Fibracolor.
After 6 months of continuous use they are still going strong. I think the set was $20, but I used a coupon, of course

Fibracolor marker set

This is the one we have

These look really nice!! Can you tell me what kind of tip they have?

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2010 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Waverley wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

Fibracolor marker set

This is the one we have

These look really nice!! Can you tell me what kind of tip they have?

They have a pointed tip.... if you click on the link and then look under the main picture, you will see a thumbnail pic of how the tip looks. They hold their shape fairly well, even after severe abuse from enthusiastic artists

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 09 2010 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SeaStar wrote:

Fibracolor marker set

This is the one we have

This is one of the sets we have as well. They're a good quality, and I used my Michaels coupon as well. The kids love the wide selection of colors! We've had our set for a few years now and no sign of drying yet. These are the most used markers in our home!!!

lapazfarm wrote:
We have a really nice set of Prismacolor markers (from Dick Blick), which we love. The color is vibrant, they blend well, and they don't leave streaks when coloring in a large area.They also are dual-pointed, with thin on one end and a broad, chisel-point on the other. I love that feature.
They are, however, permanent and very stinky. Use them with caution around littles.
For just plain old coloring for the little guys, we use Crayola on sale.
Prismacolor markers

We have this set as well. It was gifted to us SEVERAL years ago. It is starting to dry out, but they are several years old - at least 10! They are TOTALLY permanent, so Theresa is right that they wouldn't do well in the hands of littles. But, they are GREAT for older children and large mapwork and projects. The fine point is great for labeling and fine detailwork, and if a child is coloring in a large portion of something the wide end of the marker is great! Another bonus is that these markers don't feather their color. That makes a big difference when a child is doing carefully detailed work.

My littles use the Prang Fun Pro Washable markers. I think they're probably pretty comparable to Crayola markers - there's nothing really spectacular about them.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

The only markers I keep OUT are washable....so Crayolas on sale for back-to-school, or Colorations Markers from Disount School Supply. And, yes, I did buy that HUGE box (they come in smaller boxes) and, it's the smartest thing I ever did!

My neighbor has the Prismacolors, and we LOVE working with them...I'd like to get a set for Christmas or maybe a birthday sometime in the next couple years.

My girls LOVE our Mr. Sketch Markers...they bleed like crazy though, so they ALWAYS have to have something under them, and not when the littles are around. That THICK THICK line that they make, makes them so great for "coloring in"....as opposed to a direct point. They make really beautiful creations with them!!!!!!!!   

Best-Buy Markers from Lakeshore Learning are really nice, but not washable, but the colors are really great!

Le Plume markers are very versatile. I'm not impressed with their durability, but my girls love to work with them. Thick, medium, thin lines, etc.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2015 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

Fibracolor marker set

This is the one we have

This is one of the sets we have as well. They're a good quality, and I used my Michaels coupon as well. The kids love the wide selection of colors! We've had our set for a few years now and no sign of drying yet. These are the most used markers in our home!!!

These markers are a deal of the day on Amazon for $6 less than Dick Blick!

Amazon Marker Set

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2015 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Lindsay! I appreciate it! I have a son's birthday that these would be perfect.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version