Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Activities to do with holy cards Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 01 2010 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

I just came up with an idea for a Montessori-style matching activity that uses holy cards. You'd set up a tray with a box of cards, and a dish of small objects that are associated with the saints on the cards. I'm sure someone else has already thought of this, but it was new to me. (Of course, you'd want to be sure that the children have already learned something about the saints' stories before they start doing this activity.)

Here are some matches that came to mind, but of course there are many more possibilities.

Saints & the animals associated with them:

St. Agnes -- Lamb
St. Clare - Cat
St. Brigid - Cow
St. Martin of Tours - Goose
St. John the Apostle - Eagle
Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha - Turtle
St. Raphael the Archangel -- Fish

Saints & the sacramentals associated with them:

St. Catherine Laboure -- Miraculous Medal
St. Margaret Mary -- Sacred Heart badge
St. Faustina -- small Divine Mercy image
St. Dominic -- Rosary
St. Simon Stock -- Scapular
St. Benedict -- St. Benedict medal

I'd love to hear about any other ideas for activities that use holy cards. We have a lot of them at home, and I always seem to have a stack in my purse, as well.   I'm sure we're not making full use of their potential.
Back to Top View Eleanor's Profile Search for other posts by Eleanor

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2010 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I was thinking of making a scrapbook of them, sorta like a family scrapbook, since obviously they're FAMILY! we just have way too many and they're mostly in a box that gets taken out and used every now and then, but not often enough so they don't get used to their full potential either. i'm looking forward to seeing other ideas here.

the Montessori matching sounds neat! i'll have to do that with my littles.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2010 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I've put Holy Cards into our book of Centuries but mostly I've ended up using them as bookmarks!

I find that it's nice to use an appropriate Holy Card as a bookmark for my spiritual reading and for the books I read to the children (Catechism, Bible and Devotional). It gives us the opportunity to pause for a moment to consider the image before starting the reading.

I just need to remember to remove them from our library books (our local library has a lovely selection of picture books of Saints) before returning them.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Thank you for sharing this idea! I just may have to do this with my girls.

We have a fair amount of Holy Cards, but I haven't done any games with them yet ~ *that* is a great way to get them excited about our Saints.

About a year ago I made each of them a prayer book using about 6 Holy Cards for each of their books, they turned out beautiful, and I'm hopeful that as my girls get older and grow in their own faith, that my little books to them will become a valued part of their prayer life

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version