Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: If you use dictation, do your Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

early elementary dc other writing as well? We are using WWE and love it. We need to use dictation for grammar and spelling. Should we be doing more? Should we be doing creative writing or journaling for 2nd or 3rd grade? Right now my 2nd grader's creative writing is limited to drawing a picture and narrating a story to me.

What does your writing progression look like in these early years? I'm not wanting to add work, but I do want to be intentional and CMish with our writing sequence.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Jennifer...I have a 7.5 and 9 yo dds, who are basically at the same level....I guess I'd call them "3rd grade".

Just this past December we started a couple things....

1. Writing whatever they want in a journal about once a week...more, of course, if they want. Sometimes they aren't so good about thinking of something, so I give them options...it's usually something they did last week or something fun to describe. Write about New Year's Eve, going to the Aquarium with Jemma, Rollar skating with Daddy. I don't "correct" this work, and they only show it to me if they want to.

2. A section of a notebook is marked "Written Narration" and once/week, they will write a narration of something that we read, instead of doing it orally with me.   This is VERY NEW to them, so it's 1 or 2 sentences. I do go over this with them and "correct gently."

Up until a couple months ago, we were doing oral & dictated narrations, illustrations, copywork, etc....nothing "required writing." A year ago, my girls would never have been able to "write". But, my third daughter....6 yo....she's a different story....she writes all the time and loves it, so my guess is, she'll be a bit easier to transition to written narrations and encouraging creative writing.

Focusing on oral narrations has paid off...even though it's hard not to worry about them "not writing" during that 2nd-3rd grade time. Everyone says to focus on the copywork and lots of oral narrating during those early years, and the writing will fall into place. I think I'm in the process of seeing this.

There is also a thread in the archives that I'll link later todya.....remind me if I forget. It has to do with early-year-journaling that I think has been fun with my dd-6yo.

Hope that helps. (You're asking about writing and creative writing...right? not the dictation/copywork, right?)

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MNMommy wrote:
early elementary dc other writing as well? We are using WWE and love it. We need to use dictation for grammar and spelling. Should we be doing more? Should we be doing creative writing or journaling for 2nd or 3rd grade? Right now my 2nd grader's creative writing is limited to drawing a picture and narrating a story to me.

Jennifer,

I think it depends on the child. Is she interested in doing more? It sounds like you are doing fine but if she wants to write more add some creative writing or journaling, but I wouldn't require it. Some of my children loved writing, others not so much and I have found that the "not so much" ones don't resist it later (when I do require it) if I haven't pushed it too much in the earlier grades.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

Thank you for the replies. I was panicking but have now calmed down. I listened to a talk by Susan Wise Bauer this weekend, and she suggested that kids not be forced to do creative writing. She said that all kids must learn expository writing, but only those that want to write creatively should. That makes a lot of sense to my practical, math-minded self. Whew!

So, I am refocusing on oral narrations and dictation/copywork. I think that will pay off, and it has the added bonus of being fun and easy for us.

I panick at least once a month about something. It's quite annoying.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version