Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Do you sprint? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

At the start of a new year, I tend to think about "getting things done" and adjust our routines and studies accordingly. I've been thinking about this topic, getting the actual work done. There I shared our big picture (6 years) and daily picture (skills and knowledge) and yet that didn't quite cover it. Both of those aspects point to the marathon of homeschooling, the things we do on a regular basis gradually over time. But another key component for us, intentionally or out of desperation, is the sprint. Think of intensive studies, boot camps, cramming, and burning the midnight oil.

Do you and your teens ever sprint? If so, what does it look like? Under what conditions? Do you try to avoid sprinting? Do you see it as a practice that has benefits? Do some tolerate sprinting better than others? Have you had positive or negative outcomes from sprinting?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Yes, we have done sprinting. I think it is inevitable with some of our personality mixes, but maybe not as much as I think, - and it has its good and bad. I cannot post right now - but will try to later.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Not yet....we gorge sometimes though- sort of like a rabbit trail when more seems like it would be good in one sitting.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Well, with our oldest 2 - 9th is a sort of transition year where we are all getting our feet wet and figuring out that high school shouldn't mean we have to revamp all that works - just the thought that someone else is going to be looking at what you claim and have their own preception of what it means and you don't want to deceive. We were very slow paced - and sometimes found that things did not work well, but ... They are exploring their interests rather leisurely, digging deeply and trying to figure out what it is they really are called to do. There is some angst, some stress (some just a part of it, some we put on ourselves trying to imitate or meet standards not our own or force fit a child into a misfit learning mode).

We never worried too much as we wanted our children to learn deeply and not just check off boxes. If it took more than 4 years for high school, we really didn't care.

10th- more setting in the groove, and a better idea of where the child might be headed for one. It was also a time of looking at where the most glaring gaps were and pondering how to fill them. We found some strain - some from just not doing certain subjects well - some from chidlren's changing ideas of where they were headed and some because we were gap filling - which means really insisting that the child buckle down and do the things that had to be done that weren't on the favorites list. IE our 1 passion children just didn't magically and suddenly mature into motivated, well rounded folks who wanted to learn everything.

11th - things are getting more serious, folks tended to know more where they were headed and connecting that some of the stuff we were insisting on in 10th really was important for this goal. We were also beginning to sense this major change by the end of the year. We hadn't minded 5 years - but Suddenly we realized (and the child was pulling for those more independent days in the future)that the child was going to be ready to be moving on and we had better be there at the end of 12th or it was not going to be very good for either of us. We got a lot done 11th especially in the gap filling department.

12th - the sprint year. here the child just wanted to graduate. That was the goal whether or not the child intended college. They were just ready to move away from home.. My babies who clung to me as toddlers and couldn't even stand to stay alone without mom for 5 minutes, suddenly had wings and we knew it was time. The goal became - help them graduate. What really had to be done, what needed to be crossed off on a transcript and what else had to take place for us to honestly and fairly do this. What areas were they already fully proficient, etc. Looking back, I think Jr and Sr year is when my sidetracked scholars finally figured out how to stay focused, how to move forward for a goal - or at least connect the dots of even if my field does not require xyz, I still have to know this in order to get the training I need for my field.

Honestly the sprint is exilerating and it is awesome to see how much they can get done. ( I personally would have preferred it to be spread out more mathematically - 1 science each year - not 3 in the last 2 - but it took 2 years to get through the 1st two sciences and -- well, you get the picture. It is also marvelous to behold how they have learned to use and learn from means less than ideal (ie science textbooks). Sometimes their goal is simply to check off a box - but the time has come for me to accept that a bit (though making sure that learning does happen - just maybe not at the fullest depth I would have liked). It is also when I have finally learned to hand it over completely - if they want to graduate fine, this is required. They generally always stretch many of my preconceived ideas by this point so there are some growing pains. Me declaring - No you will not get a GED when you are this close to graduating - to Check into it and see if you can have both and .... (Honestly, this really did come up just this week because something dd wants to do requires a high school diploma and she wants it basically in a week ).

You lose some depth in the sprint, but my dawdlers also finally learn how to juggle those subjects, how to set goals and stay on track, how to communicate with us very deeply on goals and plans and come up with their own strategies for fulfilling requirements.

Now, that being said. I will be immensely surprised if my very methodical, mathematical next child will sprint. He looked at his sisters in horror and decided long ago that he was not panicing his last 2 years of school, by golly. So far he is either ahead of the game or right on track. He may learn other things those last 2 years - order, goal setting, staying on track don't seem to be his particular weaknesses. He even knows what he wants to do - known it since he was 11. I'll be glad of a breather from the sprinting - see the kids who do it only do it for a year or two. Mom who does it with several kids in a row - you're sprinting a major marathon.

Janet

Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I like the term "gorge", Kristie! We definitely gorge on things we enjoy. I'll have to consider if sprinting is what we do with things we don't enjoy - put off?

Janet, once again you have hit the nail on the head! Thanks. I'll be back when I have a chance to add our experience. You are not alone .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version