Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Martin Luther King Jr. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Starting a thread for picture books on this great leader.

One of our very favorites is:
Martin's Big Words

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Rosa

My mother bought this one at a thrift store and gave it to me today.
Well, once again I can say (as with Squanto): I had *no* idea.

I had no idea how the whole bus protest came about, plus I had no idea-none- that it was the *women* who rallied first the night Rosa was arrested and took action, then asked MLK to be their spokesman.

I found the wording a little choppy in this one, but I absolutely loved how Rosa and the other women were made so very real in this story. The woman who called for a rally set the meeting time at 10 pm in her office so she could feed her family dinner first and put her children to bed.

This book is not directly about MLK, but he is in there, and the book is a perfect tie in to the civil rights movement.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Martin Luther King, Jr and the March on Washington

This is an All Aboard Reading book that has a fantastic combination of drawings and photographs. It discusses segregation and civil rights in very simple text that moves right along with the pictures.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Melinda, thanks for these. I was just looking on Amazon the other day for some sensitive portrayals for my almost 5 and 7 yr olds. I hate buying biographies without a recommendation, kwim? I'm interested in the last one you linked. Can you tell me if it deals with his death? Right now I just want to portray his significance as an American hero, not the drama surrounding his assassination.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Books-

The book focuses on the March on Washington. There is no mention of his assassination, although it does mention how he needed to be brave to do his work, as there were threats on his life.

I am also reading to a 5 and 7 yo... I think the pictures will make a big impact on them. There is one photo of a man who rollerskated from Chicago to Washington for the march. I know they will really be impressed by that- it's just the sort of thing they will remember.

This book will be new to us. I picked up this fall at the library sale. We'll see how they like it. *I* think it's a good one- but they don't always agree!

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I have not seen the March on Washington book but Martin's Big Words is one of our favorite books on MLK Jr.   The illustrations are detailed and lovely. Another good biography of MLK is a Scholastic First Biographies book entitled "Let's Read About Martin Luther King, Jr."

Another wonderful picture book to read while learning about MLK is "When Marian Sang" by Pam Munoz Ryan. This book tells the story of the famous opera singer Marian Anderson and the refusal by the owners of Constitutional Hall to rent the Hall to her as a performer because she was black. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt was so angry about their refusal that she resigned from the organization that owned the Hall and arranged for Marian Anderson to sing at the Lincoln Memorial. The tie-in with MLK is 2 fold: (1) the setting (Lincoln Memorial) is the same as Dr. King's I Have A Dream speech and (2) Marian Anderson sang "My Country Tis of Thee" which is the same song Dr. King quotes in the conclusion of his I Have A Dream Speech.

Finally, if you're looking for a sound track while learning about MLK, I would recommend music by Mahalia Jackson. Ms. Jackson was a close friend of MLK. She sang immediately before his I Have A Dream speech and she sang one of the most famous gospel music songs "Precious Lord" at MLK's funeral.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 3:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

David Adler has one of his picture book biographies on Martin Luther King Jr. It's similar to the others he has written like this. Simple and informative. It does cover the assassination, but is not to detailed. Illustration of King lying on the balcony, sort of obscured so you don't see much and everyone else is shown pointing to the window where the shots came from.

March on! The Day My Brother Martin Changed the World - told in first person by King's sister, Christine. It covers only the day of the March in DC and the "I Have a Dream" speech. Waverley, it talks about Mahalia Jackson's presence and contribution, too. Thanks for mentioning those musical connections to add to a study. The book is well done and very interesting to hear the perspective of someone who was close to him. The illustrations are fabulous - very engaging.

And speaking of the "I Have a Dream" speech...I Have a Dream is a picture book representation of the text of the speech. Each page is illustrated by a different illustrator. Each of the illustrators is a past recipient of the Coretta Scott King Award - so some amazing talent there.

And speaking of Coretta Scott King...Coretta Scott which was just published last year is a biography of MLK's wife told more as a poem than prose by Ntozake Shange. Eye-catching illustrations by Kadir Nelson. Ends with the March on washington so doesn't deal with MLK's assassination.

Two very good books that are about children attending a civil rights march and being part of that piece of history are:
A Sweet Smell of Roses - Very simply tells the story of two black sisters who leave their house to be part of the march in their town (not described as a specific location). Covers what they see and hear along the way. Striking black and white illustrations which have a single red element in each picture - the string of a teddy bear ribbon carried by one girl, with the final picture having the red be in the roses of the window flower box, thus referencing the title. A great visual book and intro to the essence of a peaceful protest march of that time.

Riding to Washington - is part of the Tales of Young American's series from Sleeping Bear Press. These stories bring to life a period of history through the perspective of a child living then. In this story a young white girl goes by bus with her father and his black co-workers to the March on Washington and her experience is recounted here. I think all of these books are great for covering the particular historical period in a very real and human way. This is no exception - really enjoyed it.

And finally this book- Heroes for Civil Rights- is a compilation of short, one page biographies of different civil rights leaders along with an illustration. I am very attracted to Farnsworth's illustrations so loved this. The text is longer and as a series of short biographies doesn't have a story line, so might not capture the attention of the younger crowd, but is a good resource for elementary aged students for background info on these leaders. Of course MLK is included.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Oh Mary, you have made my day! My library even has the books you list. Thanks so much!

Do you know if there will be a separate thread of picture books for Black History Month? I would love suggestions for that as well.

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

One other thought, if you are listening to music and looking for tie-ins with MLK - there are several you-tube videos of Aretha Franklin singing My Country Tis of Thee at President Obama's inauguration. Regardless of whether you support our current president or not, the singing of My Country Tis of Thee is an interesting historical tie -in.   Plus, you get to see that fabulous hat again!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I just found that MLK's sister, Christine, wrote another earlier book about her brother, too - it covers their growing up years - the years that shaped the man he became. It is DELIGHTFUL - that is what keeps coming to me when I try to describe it. The illustrations are amazing - I feel like I could walk right into them!

My Brother Martin - by Christine King Farris

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

MaryM wrote:
I just found that MLK's sister, Christine, wrote another earlier book about her brother, too - it covers their growing up years - the years that shaped the man he became. It is DELIGHTFUL - that is what keeps coming to me when I try to describe it. The illustrations are amazing - I feel like I could walk right into them!

My Brother Martin - by Christine King Farris

We just read it from the library after you recommended it. It was sooo good! My kids loved the pictures. The story made MLK very "real" to my dc

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Melinda. It is a neat book.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2011 at 2:35am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping...

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SeaStar wrote:
Starting a thread for picture books on this great leader.

One of our very favorites is:
Martin's Big Words

A newly published one by the same author/illustrator. It is the text of his famous speech. Lovely illustrations as you would imagine form Kadir Nelson. Very powerful. Includes a CD with Dr. King's original speech.

I Have A Dream

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We March (Shane Evans)

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

50th Anniversary of the March on Washington and the "I Have a Dream" speech coming up tomorrow, August 28.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Martin & Mahalia: His Words, Her Song (Andrea Davis Pinkney & Brian Pinkney)

This is a fantastic picture book as you would expect from the husband and wife team of Brian Pinkney and Andrea Davis Pinkney - very talented Pinkney family. Tells the story of Martin Luther King and Mahalia Jackson side by side through the book until their stories meet. The it tells the story of the Montgomery bus boycott, civil rights, and March on Washington. The author/illustrator notes tell how the colors were chosen and blended to represent each one individually - then together. Very interesting technique which gives a unique product. Has a thorough timeline at end. Makes you want to go listen to the speech and the song.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version