Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Silent Night, Holy Night Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Silent Night, Holy Night by Werner Thuswaldner/Robert Ingpen

I mentioned this picture book in a recent blog post. You can click on the link above and view a little of the inside. As I wrote on my blog, it is a "lovely, historical, artistic picture book which is surprisingly, appallingly, unjustifiably OOP )..."

When you see it, you'll understand why I say this.

On the inside flap:

"Millions of people in the world can finish the lyrics to this beautiful and beloved Christmas carol. But not many can tell you where it came from. Now Werner Thuswaldner and renowned artist Robert Ingpen do just that. From the lives of its poor and downtrodden creators, to how this glorious composition went on to transcend classes and cultures, the history of the song "Silent Night" is one worth celebrating. Complete with the comprehensive song lyrics, this lushly illustrated and beautifully told story is a gift that embodies peace, love, and the spirit of Christmas itself."

Review:
"The history of the internationally known Christmas carol, Silent Night--how it was composed and first sung, and its connections across time and place--is celebrated in this handsome, oversize picture book. The young priest who wrote the poem and the composer who set it to music first performed their carol one Christmas in the early nineteenth century as a gift for their poverty-stricken, war-torn Austrian village. Ingpen (a Hans Christian Andersen Medal winner) evokes the old European masters in moving portraits as well as crowded candlelit interiors. One heartbreaking spread, in shades of gray and brown, reconstructs the famous World War I Christmas truce, when enemies sang the carol together and then went back to killing. In contrast, the outdoor carol-singers, past and present, are painted in radiant color. Occasional overwriting ("visionary inspiration") notwithstanding, the history and the art make this a great holiday title, an elemental Christmas tale of humble beginnings and universal power. Hazel Rochman
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I added it to my wish list! Thanks, Cay!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version