Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: multiplication memorizing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

My ds's dyslexia tutor told me about this website for math worksheets, and these "rules" for memorizing multiplication tables, which have proven to be so hard for him!!   It is the kind of stuff that a lot of us do intuitively, but it is nice to have it all spelled out, for kids who don't take to this intuitively. This is not just for kiddos with learning differences.....and it is all free. I'm sorry if this is a repeat of something already posted.

Eight Simple Rules for Multiplication

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

Have you heard of the "hand trick" for multiplying by 9? Let me see if I can describe it.

Hold both hands up in front of you so you are looking at the back of your hands. Think of the pinky on the left hand as 1, the next finger as 2, and so forth all the way to the right-hand pinky as 10.

Let's say you want to know what is the answer to 9 x 3. Hold down finger #3 (left middle finger.) Notice that two fingers are up to the left of finger #3, and seven fingers are up to the right of finger #3--and the answer is 27. If you want to know 9x4 hold down finger #4, and so forth.

Blessings,
Kris
At Home Science
Science of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

Jody
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Jody

Great! Great! Great!

4lads: Thanks for the site!

Kris: Very Cool!!!

Jody

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Okay, Kris, We have gotten a LOT of mileage out of your cool trick all day. My son loved it.....and I even had to tell my sister on the phone, several states away, and she stopped everything and kept doing it, we were both marveling that we had to made by a God that had a keen sense of humor to put the nine's times tables at our fingertips!!!!

Thanks!!!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

AtHomeScience wrote:
Have you heard of the "hand trick" for multiplying by 9?

We had lots of fun with this yesterday as well!!!!! Thanks for sharing it, Kris!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

thanks for sharing this!
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

I know what you mean, I did the same thing when I first learned this trick

Advent blessings,
Kris
At Home Science
Science of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

acystay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote acystay

That 9's hand trick is AWESOME! I learned it from Times Tables the Fun Way and was ANGRY that I never knew it as a child. We just got math the fun way from City Creek Press. They are given as stories to memorize the facts and we have enjoyed them a great deal. I can tell my daughter remember the snowmen and she'll be able to do 8X8=64.

The story is two snowmen (drawn like 8's) go on walk in the mountain and get cold. So they see a sign that says the sticks are for the fire (which sounds like 64). So when you see 8X8 it equals 64.

Also, my son loves times attack (free video game)
Back to Top View acystay's Profile Search for other posts by acystay

acystay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote acystay

forgot another weird thing too...hubby showed this to me let's see if I can do this on line...

Teacher gives a times table test for the 9's
9X1 =
9X2 =
9X3 =
(etc.)

Johnny looks at it so confused so he just counts the equations which (starting from the 9X9)results in him doing this on his paper
9x1 = 9
9X2 = 8
9X3 = 7
9X4 = 6
9X5 = 5
9X6 = 4
9X7 = 3
9X8 = 2
9X9 = 1

He then looks at his works and realizes that just doesn't look right. He does know that 9X1 equals 9 so he starts then to count from 9X2 and gets
9x1 = 9
9X2 = 18
9X3 = 27
9X4 = 36
9X5 = 45
9X6 = 54
9X7 = 63
9X8 = 72
9X9 = 81

Weird huh?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

AtHomeScience wrote:
Have you heard of the "hand trick" for multiplying by 9?

Another 9 trick (but not as cool ) is that all the nine answers add up to 9.

1X9=9
2X9=18 [1+8=9]
3X9=27 [2=7=9
4X9=36 [3=6=9] and so forth

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I just laugh when I see these things. Thanks for all of the tricks! I ordered a book yesterday that matches rhymes with each multiplication fact, which is a similar technique that was used in my ds’s Orton-Gillingham method of tutoring for his dyslexia.

Memorize in Minutes

I’ll let you know how it works! We are so, so close, but then all of the facts seem to vanish in thin air from his head....poor guy, he is working hard. The above link I gave in the original post has worked a lot....but he needs something more, to make a “picture” in his head to have it stick....random facts just aren’t easy for him to pull up.....unless it has something to do with Wii

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote amyable

4 lads mom wrote:
Memorize in Minutes

I'm interested to see how you like this - my dd is the same way (things vanish out of her brain )

But this quote from the website cracks me up:
Quote:
Memorize in Minutes: The Times Tables is a 224 page book filled with step-by-step detailed lesson plans, activities, worksheets, flashcards, tests, charts, and more

224 pages filled with every activity under the sun doesn't sound like minutes to me! It reminds me of those articles that promise to simplify your life in only 524 steps!

4 lads mom wrote:
random facts just aren’t easy for him to pull up.....unless it has something to do with Wii

My kids and I have said we want to develop a math facts Wii game for this very reason!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

acystay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote acystay

Memorize in Minutes look very similar to City Creek Press. I like the stories and how easy it is to read them to my daughter and son. I also have used the read along CD in the car for them.

The whole not being to get the random facts thing has bugged me. My daughter is a visual person...needs a story, pictures, etc...it is hard at times. I also go the CD-ROM for her to use on the computer and love it too!

It is more pricey, but then again my charter school paid for it. It is all color (except the workbooks) and very funny which works for us right now.

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Here's a fun place for helping with the times table: Timez Attack

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

We as well love any way to teach multiplication quicker! GREAT INFO! My son is still counting 3 7 times on his hand for 3x7. I'm proud right now that he grasps the concept but when he gets to say 7 8 times, well, you know how taxing that can be. I keep telling him tho that it'll be waaay easier once he memorizes that 3x7=21 etc. I think some of this info will continue to help him.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Bumping and to this thread on Bump it Thursday:

We just discovered Reflux.

Let me start from the get go- Its expensive , or at least what I think is expensive, its $35 per student and I know there is free stuff out there BUT this tracks my daughter and keeps her interested. SHE LOVES IT!

You can get a free trial for 2 weeks and let them go to town. My daughter who has Math issues was able to start to REALLY memorize her facts for the first time and she is almost 11.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version