Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Mexican recipes for O.L. Guadalupe? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Hello all!

I'm planning a Mexican dinner for Saturday evening to celebrate the Feast of our Lady of Guadalupe. Problem is, my mexican repertoire doesn't extend past cheese quesadillas and tacos !

Do you have any fantastic Mexican recipes to share? Please help this clueless Italian girl whip together a fiesta worthy of Our Lady!

Thanks in advance!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh so much to choose from.. what sort of thing are you thinking of?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 2:17am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

I guess I'm looking for appetizers and main dishes...something like enchiladas, maybe? I have never made enchiladas before and I got cross-eyed looking at the different variations on All Recipes . But really I'd love to try anything that your families love and that tastes great !

RA's Mom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote RA's Mom

This is a great idea for a feast. The one thing I'm going to recommend as a necessity is hot chocolate with a pinch of cayenne, very Mexican and seasonal too.

If you have older kids a burrito bar would be fun - tortillas, beans, fajitas (stir-fried meat, pepper and onion strips), tomato, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, green onion, olives, rice, etc. If you have littles quick service will be better.

Here are two of my favorite recipes. They work well together and are even better with the Tex-Mex toppings I just listed and they both have "easy" in their names.

Easy Green Chili Souffle (Whole Foods for the Whole Family)

7 oz. diced green chilis
8 oz. shredded Mexican cheese
8 large eggs
1½ cups plain yogurt
½ tsp. salt
Guacamole, salsa, etc.

Layer chilis and cheese in a buttered 9x13" pan.
Combine eggs, yogurt and salt.
Pour eggs over chili and cheese.
Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes until beautifully golden brown and puffy.
Let set 10 minutes before serving with guacamole and salsa.

Easy Mexican Pan Bread (Diet for a Small Planet)

½ cup dried pinto or black beans, cooked with extra water (ie 2 cups – pressure cook for about 35 minutes)
¾ cup stock from the beans
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 egg, beaten
2 tbs. oil
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tbs. chili powder (or to taste)
½ tsp. cumin (or to taste)
½ tsp. salt
1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
⅓ cup grated cheese
¼ cup sliced black olives

1. Cook the beans if you don’t have canned or leftover.
2. Saute the onion and garlic in a cast iron skillet, leave ½ the onion and garlic in the bottom of the pan. 3. Add the other ½ to a mixture of the egg, oil, cooked beans and stock, dry ingredients and optional green pepper.
4. Pour the mixture over the onion in the pan. Do not stir again, so some onion stays on the bottom of the pan.
5. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.
6. Just before its done sprinkle on cheese and olives.
7. Garnish with raw tomato, onion, avocado, salsa, etc. or serve with a salad.
Back to Top View RA's Mom's Profile Search for other posts by RA's Mom

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 4:23am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

This is one of our favorite holidays to celebrate. For the last two years, we have had friends over and made it into a fiesta! If you go over to Catholic Culture, you will find many ideas to celebrate and several recipes for food.

I usually serve chicken enchiladas, but I really do not have a recipe since I learned how to make them from the ladies in our hispanic community in the States. I have to fudge a bit here since monterry jack cheese is not readily available and some of the spices are a bit hard to find.

My girlfriend is bring Mole Poblano. She informs me that you can buy the sauce in jars and that is what she and her mother do (and she is hispanic). I am also making the Rose Petal Pound cake. Both of these recipes are at Catholic Culture.

Other than that we will have rice, black beans, and probably guacamole.

Last year, we also prayed the enthronement of Our Lady of Guadalupe. She is the patron saint of our family.

I hope you have a wonderful celebration.

sarahb
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote sarahb

I think churros would be fun

http://www.xmission.com/~dderhak/recipe/churros.htm
Back to Top View sarahb's Profile Search for other posts by sarahb

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I make a chicken enchilada that can be a dip or put in flour tortillas. My children love it.
Sorry if these aren't exact measurements, it's all in my head.

Saute one medium chopped onion in 2 TBLS butter

Melt 1/2 a bar of cream cheese in onion pan

Add a jar of Pace Picante Sauce (the regular size jar)

Stir till melted and combined

Add 1 tsp of cumin

Add about 1 -2 lbs of cooked shredded chicken

add approx. 4 cups of cheddar cheese

Stir till melted. To thicken, add more cream cheese, to thin add more picante sauce (or your favorite taco sauce, if I'm low on picante I'll use Ortega)

I put this is the crockpot on warm till ready to serve. Use as a dip with chips or put in flour tortillas, roll, sprinkle cheese and picante sauce over, cook in 350 oven till cheese melts. Serve with beans and Spanish rice.

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

Easy Queso -

A block of velveeta
2 cans rotel
1 lb browned sausage.

melt the velveeta, stir in rotel and sausage.
Put in a crock on warm and you can have it going for a whole party.

Serve with corn chips.

Quick, really easy, pretty cheap, and everybody loves it!

We are celebrating a friends graduation (with his masters) Saturday with a Mexican/Guadalupe themed open house. I think his wife is trying to get him to wear a sombrero.
We are decorating with the chili pepper Christmas lights, chili pepper wreath, Mexican throws for table covers and so forth.
Don't forget the luminaries.
And poinsetta's. There was a post yesterday with poinsetta crafts that looked pretty kid friendly.
Be sure to read the information all about the image, it is fascinating.

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

really quick enchiladas..

Quote:
I make them layered as a casserole instead of rolled.. taste just as good.. a whole lot less prep time. I just take the dish I want to make them in.. and cover the bottom with sauce, then tortillas (breaking them up as needed to cover, you don't have to be too precise) then a layer of cheese, other filling and more tortilla and then another layer of cheese filling and tortilla, then sauce.. then another two layers.. top with sauce and cheese and bake in the oven about 30 minutes until hot thru.

I make my own suace with tomato sauce and taco/mex seasoning to taste, extra cumin and dried minced onion.

simple yummy chile rellenos
Quote:
Chile Relleno Casserole

3/4 lb cheddar cheese
3/4 lb jack cheese
16 slices thin white bread, remove crusts, butter both sides
4 eggs beaten
2 cups milk
1 cup evap. milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 7 oz cans chopped green chiles

Arrange 8 slices of buttered bread in the bottom of a 9x13x2 casserole dish. Sprinkle half the grated cheese on top. Add one can green chiles. Repeat layers. Mix eggs, milks and salt. Pour over all. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6-8 hours (or overnight) Bake in 350* oven for 45 min. until golden and puffy.

This dish will run over in the oven. Place a jelly roll pan to catch the drips.

-note from Jodie - I used a larger (10x15x2) casserole pan and enough more bread to cover the bottom.. cutting some slices in half.. and left the rest the same and had no run over at all.

And if you want something more complicated..

Quote:
TAMALES
First thing you want to do is to cook the meat. Shredded meat of any variety works well. I've used beef, pork, turkey and chicken. A pressure cooker will shorten this step greatly. Basically you just want to cook the meat until it's falling apart. I usually roast it with some water.. but have most of the liquid cooked off when it's done but still moist. Shred it with 2 forks or your fingers. While it's still pretty warm is much easier than waiting until it's cold. What helps me save time is to make 2 roasts a night or two before hand so that I can have one for dinner and one to shred. (or two chickens or whatever) I only flavor the meat while cooking with salt and pepper.

Ok, so you should have the meat ready to go before you get ready to start the whole putting together process. Next you want to pull apart the corn husks (one of the 8x8 or so size bags is plenty) separate them out into individual husks and try and keep them as big as possible. Discard the corn silk. Next you'll put them in a large pan and pour boiling or very hot water over them and weigh them down with a plate to soak. You want them to get nice and pliable.

I make a red chile sauce with some of the dried red chiles (you'll see them at the same place as the corn husks) I like the New Mexico or California chiles. Ok, so you want to break off the stems of the chiles and dump out the seeds (seeds make it hotter usually) but don't worry about getting every seed. Rinse them off and put into the blender. You'll want about a half of a blender with them pushed down but not packed. Then pour boiling water over them and blend. Add garlic, oregano, salt (lots of salt, little oregano) to taste if you can.. if not let me know and I'll try and find something more specific for measurements.

MASA

1c solid fat (shortening, lard, butter)
4c quaker masa harina de maiz (this is like a corn flour not corn meal so be sure to get the "masa")
2t salt
3c broth

In large bowl, beat 2/3 cup lard until fluffy. combine masa and salt; alternately add with broth to lard, mixing well after each addition. Gradulally beat in 1/3 c melted lard, mising to consistency of thick cake batter.

I now mix the meat with some of the red chile sauce... not too much or they get too hot for some people but it gives nice flavor in moderation. (you can use the red chile sauce or not as you choose)

Assembly: you will want to lay out a corn husk and spread 2T masa in the center. Spoon 1T of meat onto the masa. Fold (roll) husk over filling (add another husk if you need more cover) fold up the bottom part way through the rolling (like a burrito).

Cooking: stand the tamales with the open end up in a steamer basket. Don't pack tightly and fill with extra corn husks if there's not enough to hold each other upright. Cover, steam 2-3 hours (I find it does not take that long but maybe my tamales are smaller... remember smaller faster cooking) To check open a tamale (pick a larger one) and if the filing falls away from teh corn husk and you can kind of flake it with a fork.. it's not gooey but more bread like... they're done. Serve with more red chile sauce or salsa for topping.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

My family were the honoured guests to MaryMary's home for The Feastday of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and I must tell you, everything she made was delicioso!!!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

I made Maddie's chicken enchiladas and TxTrish's queso and i have all the other wonderful recipes here on file for next year...soooo, thanks to you wonderful ladies and your recipes, we had a nice evening with Nique's beautiful family!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bump...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

We made Paula Dean's Mexican Wedding Cookies today.    Yum! Perfect for our tea this afternoon, along with this fun and informative Our Lady of Guadalupe pop-up book.

I would make them a bit smaller, though. They were pretty big!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

stellamaris wrote:
We made Paula Dean's Mexican Wedding Cookies today.    Yum! Perfect for our tea this afternoon, along with this fun and informative Our Lady of Guadalupe pop-up book.

I would make them a bit smaller, though. They were pretty big!

Sounds delish... and we love that pop-up book, too!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I just posted about our Mexican style tea with flan and bunuelos.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Grace&Chaos wrote:
I just posted about our Mexican style tea with flan and bunuelos.

Fabulous, Jenny. Loved your blog post.

Our Domestic Church

Livin'4Him
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Livin'4Him

Thanks so much, Ladies, for allowing me to come to this forum VERY last minute and get ideas to make a feast fit for Our Lady of Guadalupe and my family! I made the Easy Green Chili Souffle including some of the topping suggestion from RA's Mom and Mexican Hot Chocolate. My family thought it was all great!

Blessings~Megan
Back to Top View Livin'4Him's Profile Search for other posts by Livin'4Him

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Livin'4Him wrote:
Thanks so much, Ladies, for allowing me to come to this forum VERY last minute and get ideas to make a feast fit for Our Lady of Guadalupe and my family! I made the Easy Green Chili Souffle including some of the topping suggestion from RA's Mom and Mexican Hot Chocolate. My family thought it was all great!

Blessings~Megan

- we aim to please. So glad my VERY LAST MINUTE bumping of the threads was a help to anyone...

Our Domestic Church

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Here is one that looks simple to follow, thanks to all the pictures: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/09/simple-perfect-en chiladas/

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version