Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Woo Hoo!!! High School of Our Dreams! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2006 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I got an unexpected treasure today --an advance copy of CHC's High School of Your Dreams! I can't tell you how tickled I am by the opportunity to curl up with this today. I'll check back in this evening with the full report...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2006 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

OH! I am positively green with envy! I will be back later today to read the review.

Can't wait!

BWT
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2006 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth -- I got a review copy too -- my 14yod thought I was nuts when the box came and she said it was from CHC!

I'm trying to be good, get all my work done and then open it... it may be a late night tonight

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Just wondering - how do you get advance copies? Does CHC just pick families at random, or how does it work?

God bless,

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Yoohoo Elizabeth and Mary?

Would either of you be willing to share your preliminary thoughts on High School of your Dreams?

This enquiring mind is awfully curious....

~Books
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

This is well worth the cost. There is no other Catholic high school resource like it. For people who have cobbled together an eclectic grade school curriculum, picking and choosing from all there is out there and want to continue to do so for high school, High School of Your Dreams will be invaluable. The author, Nancy Nicholson, breaks with the rest of the pack right from the beginning. She stresses that high school can serve different purposes depending on the child's vocation and that some will use that time to prepare for college, while others will prepare for vocational school and still others will prepare to go from high school directly to the world of work.

She writes: the secular society in which we live not infrequently fails to recognize that each person is made in the image and likeness of God and is therefore of infinite value...An elitist mentality hints that those who graduate medical school are more worthy of honor than those who follow non-collegiate career paths. Nothing could be further from God's Truth. Each individual is a precious and unrepeatable miracle, not because of what he does, but because of who he is: a child of God. That philosophy permeates the book and if we, as a Catholic homeschooling community, can accept it, we will serve our children and our Lord far better.

From the outset, it is clear that there is nothing prepackaged about the curriculum. And it's not all you will need to plan or to execute the high school of your dreams. But it's a very good start and it is sure to be a trusty spine for the endeavor.

Nancy does a masterful job of explaining how to record and to grant credit and how to plan with credit in mind. She covers suggested courses of study and she reminds the reader that there is more than the textbook way of gaining information. One weakness here is that she doesn't emphasize enough the importance of standardized tests for admissions deans. No advice is given regarding SAT II, AP, or CLEP tests. But we can easily remind each other of that here.

The meat of the book is a list of resources for typical and offbeat high school courses. Nancy suggests different texts, some living books, DVDs and internet links for every subject. Invaluable are links to Church teaching and the CCC. One caveat though: Traditionalists will not be happy with the Church teaching section. Very few reference predate Vatican II and there is a distinct emphasis on the teaching of John Paul II. For some families, this will be perfect. For others, it is likely to be a problem.

There is a definite push to plan early in the eighth grade year. Nancy stresses the need to pray and discern vocation and to set one's high school course from there. It's a great thought if your child is able to do that. But it is a rare 13 year-old who really has that path clearly marked for him. Also, it would be good to mention what a mom is to do if she finds herself holding the book for the first time in her child's tenth or eleventh grade year.

The book really grants us permission not to pursue the typical course of study. It differs from Sonlight, and Seton and even MODG, in that it embraces the idea that for every child education SHOULD look different because every child is different. There is even a push towards real life experiences for credit.

You are likely to note weaknesses in some particular subjects, especially if that's a subject where you are strong (so the weakness won't matter so much). I know Mary has thoughts on the math. I found the Health section inadequate. It read like an "Illness" section instead of a "Wellness" section to me. I would have like to have seen more living literature across the curriculum. I read some of the science pages to MacBeth and she applauded several of the resources recommended. I made a note of her suggestions. I think this where this message board will really be invaluable as we use High School of Your Dreams. It's nice to run the resources by other people to see if someone can annotate them for you a bit. Maybe with time, a second edition can do that.

So many of us appreciate CHC for the support they give. I hope that study guides are in works and that future catalogs will reflect Nancy recommendations.

This is really the first high school resource I've seen where I felt like if everyone on the board had this sitting next to her computer, we'd have common ground for years' worth of great conversations about high school where Real Learning continues without missing a beat.

I'm sure I didn't answer all your questions. Let the discussion begin!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

ElisabethGrace
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote ElisabethGrace

Oooh Elizabeth, that review was very well done.

I am thrilled CHC has done this & look forward to purchasing a copy down the road. (My eldest is only 11!)

I'm so exicted for everyone with high schoolers!

Angela in TX
Back to Top View ElisabethGrace's Profile Search for other posts by ElisabethGrace

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Wow! Thanks, Elizabeth! I know it will be awhile for my son, but this gives me so much hope...

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm in ! Woo hoo is right! Thanks for giving us a sneak peek, Elizabeth.

I've really been feeling the "You're going to homeschool through high school?" pressure. It reminds me of when my first little one hit major milestones..."Is she STILL nursing?" (eventually they stop asking)...."When will she start pre-school?" (eventually they stop asking)...."Can she read yet?" (eventually they stop asking)...It is as if the spotlight comes on and then it fades away. I don't like the spot-light and am ready for the big fade .

Locally, I'm most likely going to be homeschooling through high school with little companionship for a variety of reasons...especially since I - WE - want to continue to "cobble together" a real education.     

Dd, dh, and I have been spending a lot of time getting ready for the high school years these past few weeks. Yep, I've looked up the PSAT, SAT, on and on, stuff. We're actually getting pretty excited about it. My husband has assured me that he is happy with what we are looking to do and that we are doing it for sound reasons. He has adamantly told me to stay away from nervous nellies and nay sayers .      

I'm looking forward to working together and stretching into new territory with friendship and confidence.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Elizabeth,

Thank you for the thorough and extremely insightful review. I am wanting to thank you though, too, for different reasons than the others so far - you have saved me the frustration and cost of purchasing High School of Your Dreams, only to find out that it wouldn't fit our family (or should I just say it - me). I love this board and so enjoy reading all of your posts. They have truly enriched my view of homeschooling and how I approach homeschooling. However, no matter how hard I try, I will never be one who feels completely (or to be honest, even remotely) comfortable "cobbling out" our homeschooling journey. I feel like a wimp to say this, but I am one of those moms many of you read about who really does need it spelled out for her pretty thoroughly in black and white. I need the hand-holding that a provider such as CHC cannot give - and I'm not sure has it in its vision to give - in the quantity and frequency that I require it.

Thanks so much again for the review. God bless!

~Tea

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

ElisabethGrace wrote:
Oooh Elizabeth, that review was very well done.

I am thrilled CHC has done this & look forward to purchasing a copy down the road. (My eldest is only 11!)

I'm so exicted for everyone with high schoolers!

Angela in TX

I too rec'd a review copy and it is sensational. Angela, I copied your quote as really, you might want to get it when your eldest is in 7th grade so that you can digest and pass it on to you student to start them thinking about high school and beyond.

It really is a great way to look at High School with coverage of lots of different subjects that aren't traditionally taught in high school. I think what is especially helpful with HSoYD is that we parents get permission to do what we know works best with our kids -- if my son can only understand physics through videos and DVDs, great. If I have one that's interested in animals than biology can be helping at a Vet's office and dealing with animals one on one.

That's the kind of links that Nancy Nicholson makes for the parent and student reading the volume.

I just wish it had come out about, ummmmmm, 3 or 4 years ago.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Mary G. wrote:

I just wish it had come out about, ummmmmm, 3 or 4 years ago.....

Um, yeah!
Corey graduates this May. I had to "cobble" the whole way.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

time4tea wrote:
Elizabeth,

Thank you for the thorough and extremely insightful review. I am wanting to thank you though, too, for different reasons than the others so far - you have saved me the frustration and cost of purchasing High School of Your Dreams, only to find out that it wouldn't fit our family (or should I just say it - me). I love this board and so enjoy reading all of your posts. They have truly enriched my view of homeschooling and how I approach homeschooling. However, no matter how hard I try, I will never be one who feels completely (or to be honest, even remotely) comfortable "cobbling out" our homeschooling journey. I feel like a wimp to say this, but I am one of those moms many of you read about who really does need it spelled out for her pretty thoroughly in black and white. I need the hand-holding that a provider such as CHC cannot give - and I'm not sure has it in its vision to give - in the quantity and frequency that I require it.

Thanks so much again for the review. God bless!

~Tea

Tea,
How thoroughly? I guess I'm wondering what you require of a curriculum guide. Daily plans? All the materials in a box? HSOYD tells you how many credits of each subject are necessary and then it gives you pages and pages of courses you can choose to fulfill those requirements. What it leaves up to you is the choosing from among the options and tailoring the curriculum to suit your child.

When my eldest son was twelve I wrote a very detailed eighth grade plan. I included absolutely everything I thought crucial for that year. I integrated all the subjects I could and I wrote detailed weekly plans. I figured I was all set for all my subsequent children. My second child is a completely different personality with a completely different learning style and completely different goals and strengths and weaknesses.It won't work for him at all .   He's teaching me volumes about flexibility and about looking at each child as a unique creature, uniquely called by God. No matter how much I require handholding, I know there is no packaged curriculum out there that will suit my second son--not even the one I packaged myself. God is calling me to move out of my comfort zone in order to meet the needs of my child. I'm learning. I have a hunch this is a lesson Nancy Nicholson has already learned. HSOYD is a resource we can use to help each other. This forum can and will provide the hand-holding. I've seen it happen countless times in the 7+ years since the group began. I do hope you'll stick around and travel the journey with us.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

TimeforTea,

Don't feel alone. I could have written your post - except I'm thinking I will probably purchase High School of Your Dreams as a supplement to Kolbe. Ie when I want to change something or add something living or an experience to add to something, I'll have a place to start for ideas. I look forward to seeing more.

I do have trouble planning a non-college track since our experience with our oldest who suddenly decided she was college bound around 10th grade. I do not expect all of ours to head for college but I do want their options open - mine just aren't that decisive at the end of 8th grade. It's a lot simpler on all involved to have a steady pace than to suddenly realize that we have to cram to meet college entrance requirements.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Louise

Elizabeth wrote:
   it gives you pages and pages of courses you can choose to fulfill those requirements.

Elizabeth, What kinds of courses or books are suggested? How do they differ from say MODG? Could you give examples? And do they give direction on how to use the material? Are there guidelines for essays for example?
I can't wait to see for myself. How fortunate you were to get a review copy.

Blessings,
Louise, who is leisurely resting and healing in the peaceful home of some dear friends (Dominique’s godparents), a house that breathe Catholicism. It's like having a mini retreat.

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Elizabeth wrote:

No matter how much I require handholding, I know there is no packaged curriculum out there that will suit my second son--not even the one I packaged myself. God is calling me to move out of my comfort zone in order to meet the needs of my child. I'm learning. I have a hunch this is a lesson Nancy Nicholson has already learned. HSOYD is a resource we can use to help each other.

Elizabeth,
Do you see yourself using this resource with child #2?

I will be ordering HSOYD. Garrett will be 7-8 grade next year (he roughly doesn't fall into any grade level really. I'm already using CHC but had played with the idea of going with MODG for his high school. But I want to be able to sit with this resource for a couple of years and give it a go. I see, just form your review, it working well with my #2 son.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I do plan to use it with #2. I plan to sit with him and the book tomorrow and try to at least get him thinking.

I'm hoping Mary will jump in here and make some more points. Particularly, she can clearly contrast it with Seton and I know she has more thoughts and observations to make.

I'm down for the count for tonight--lots of wee ones waiting for stories-- but I'll try to contrast it with MODG tomorrow.

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Elizabeth,

I'm sorry , I didn't mean to step on any toes by my comments. I mean them quite sincerely.

Elizabeth wrote:
When my eldest son was twelve I wrote a very detailed eighth grade plan. I included absolutely everything I thought crucial for that year. I integrated all the subjects I could and I wrote detailed weekly plans.

I applaud you for doing this. My oldest child (a son) is 12 right now, and this year, I tried to undertake the very same task of writing out lesson plans, etc., as you mentioned you did in your qoute above. The result for me? I am totally burned out. I tried to complete this task with the help of the CHC Middle Grades Lesson Plans. It did not work for me.

What do I mean by hand holding? Well, I'll tell you - for me, it means registering my oldest son with some teacher assisted/teacher directed courses through Mother of Divine Grace for the upcoming school year. That's what our family needs right now.

I am sure that High School of Your Dreams will be a wonderful addition to the homes of many families. Unfortunately, it just isn't the right fit for mine.

Blessings,

~Tea

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Louise,

The courses are just about anything you can think of:

aeronautics, agricultural science, apologetics, art,astronomy, biology, botany,building and construction, business cluster, career development and college prep, chemistry, communications, computer science, criminal justice/forensic science, drama....I think you get the idea. Nancy seems to be trying to show that almost any topic of interest to your child can be fit in to a traditional subject block on a transcript for colleges or resume for work or the military.   So it fits "non-traditional" kids too -- those who may just want to go work after high school or go Vo-Tech instead of traditional 4 year BA/BS....

I see this book as a starting point -- a way to find other things. When I worked corporate, we used to use the term "thinking outside the box" -- that's exactly what she's trying to do here. This spiral bound, almost 250 page book can't cover every thing, but it sure does try....and I think it shows me how I can then add and go on.....not every subject is covered as much as others -- some seem amazingly scanty but then others are amazingly complete.

And all with a very Catholic feel -- I think there may be other similar products out there with a Protestant or secular slant -- this is THE first I've ever seen that is so very Catholic in feel, which you can use or ignore depending our what you and your student want to do. Every subject has at least one link to some Church teaching or Church commentary.

Possible essay or research topics are given -- very CM-ish in the way you check for knoweldge; every subject has book, video or practical application suggestions; there are also web links for further information.

It's meant for you and your student to read and digest and then your student to use; there are sample charts and record-keeping forms in the back that are very complete.

Cay, you could have easily "cobbled" from this for your oldest!

ANything else you have questions about?

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

So this is something the kids should go through and participate in the planning with moms and dads?

I can't wait to see it!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version