Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: World War I Living Literature Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2006 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Hi...looking for some good read alouds for WWI period. Any suggestions?

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2006 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

What age range?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2006 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Mainly, I am looking for book suggestions for my fourth grader (9 1/2). I cannot think of living WWI books for any age though! I think I have brain freeze.......its the cold Ohio winters!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Rebecca,
   Have you read "The Singing Tree" by Kate Seredy. It is the sequel to "The Good Master". I loved this book! It takes place in Hungary.

Other books are "Gay Neck, the Story of a Pigeon" which is about a carrier pigeon in India) by Khan Mukerji, and "The Flying Tigers" by John Toland.

I can think of other books, but they are for older children. You might check the "Dear America" scholastic series. Seems like I remember they have a couple of WWI books there.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Here are a few:

War Game by Michael Foreman - story of four young men who go to war, includes the Christmas Truce of 1914

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo - story of a cavalry horse during WW1

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo - more suitable for older children. Very sensitively told story about a soldier executed for dereliction of duty.

World War I: True Stories by Clive Gifford - ignore Amazon's age 4-8 rating! Age 8-12 would be more accurate.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Thanks Kelly and Kathryn for the good ideas!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

My favorite book set during WWI is the last of the Anne of Green Gables series, RILLA OF INGLESIDE. Like all of L.M. Montgomery's books, it is set in Canada, but it brings to life the realities of struggling to live cheerfully while your loved ones are off at war.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Lissa, I have not read this book in the series yet. Would it ruin the storyline to read it out of order? I have only read the first three myself and the children have only been read aloud the original Anne of Green Gables. Thanks for your suggestion!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Also, the books "Betsy and the Great World" and "Betsy and Joe" from the Betsy-Tacy series cover the Great War. A fourth-grader might not be interested in them, though; in these two books, Betsy is in her early 20's, traveling in Europe during the pre-war months and then returning home as a young bride.

Having said that, the account of the night England declared war on Germany in "Betsy and the Great World" was really touching and heartbreaking.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I recently finished the last two Betsy-Tacy books. I was pre-reading the last few books to see if I wanted to continue reading the series out loud to my girls or if I wanted to wait and let each girl read them to herself when she gets older. I have decided that we will continue them as a family. I know my 4th and 6th graders will really enjoy the later books. Nancy, I completely agree with what you wrote about the description of the beginning of the war. The books showed me a lot about a time period that I have never really studied.

That said, I wouldn't recommend jumping into the series with the last two books, just for the sake of the WWI connection. Part of the lure of the books is falling in love with Betsy and her friends from the age of 5 on and watching them grow up.

And since I am very partial to reading series in order, I'd give the same advice with the last Anne book. Although Rilla of Ingleside would stand on its own much better than the last Betsy books.

Maybe others would disagree, but that's my opinion.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Nancy and Irene,
I have two boys and two girls the boys are 9 1/2 and 6 and the girls are babies.   Do you think the Betsy books would be appealing to boys of this age? I have not read any of them so I do not know what to expect.   

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Rebecca wrote:
Do you think the Betsy books would be appealing to boys of this age?

Hi Rebecca,
As the mom of 5 girls and no boys, I'm afraid I feel like the least competent person in this group to judge that. I honestly don't know. I'm sorry! Has anyone else with boys enjoyed the Betsy books or other books like them?

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

We read the first 3 or 4 Betsy-Tacy-Tib books aloud when my dd was 7 and my ds was 9. They really enjoyed them.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Oops, I just read the earlier post. We don't have any experience with the "older" Betsy-Tacy books.
Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2006 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I just found this: The Yanks Are Coming: The United States in the First World War at Fun-books.com. I haven't read it yet but it looks good.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2006 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Thanks Gwen...It seems as though there is wealth of living literature on WWII but not as much on WWI, so    I sure do appreciate the suggestion!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I haven't read it all yet, but it looks so fabulous I had to share - The Silver Donkey is gorgeously bound with its own charming little ribbon bookmark. I stood in the stacks yesterday at the library and read page after page, couldn't put it down!

Two French girls discover a blind soldier while out mushrooming for their mother in WWI. From Amazon: The soldier shows the children a small good-luck charm in the shape of a donkey. During the course of the book, he tells them four tales about the creature, the first one being a version of the Christmas Story. Gradually, readers learn that the soldier is not blind, but that he has closed his eyes to the violence around him.

Anyone else read it?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kathryn UK wrote:
War Game by Michael Foreman - story of four young men who go to war, includes the Christmas Truce of 1914

This is the same story told in a picture book - Christmas in the Trenches

Where Poppies Grow: World War I Companion is a good overview. It does cover the Poem "In Flanders Field" on a couple pages. For a more indepth look at the poem - In Flanders Field

A look at the airplanes of the time would be fun. We've read Jenny: the Airplane the Taught Anerica to Fly.

This is on that airplane track. My seven year old loves anything Snoopy (WWI Flying Ace) and the Red Baron. This is a fun rabbit trail. You can read those stories (First introduced in "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown."). These Royal Guardsmen's songs are fun!

I haven't read this one but it looks interesting and I just requested it to check it out - The Letter Home

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

MaryM wrote:

This is on that airplane track. My seven year old loves anything Snoopy (WWI FLying Ace) and the Red Baron. This is a fun rabbit trail. You can read those stories (First introduced in "It's the Great Pumpkin Charilie Brown."). These Royal Guardsmen's songs are fun!

We did a rabbit trail on WWI and the Red Baron years ago. Garrett must have been 8 or 9 years old. Seeems like only yesterday.

He still remembers the study and his notebook whenever we buy Red Baron pizza.

marihalojen wrote:
I haven't read it all yet, but it looks so fabulous I had to share - The Silver Donkey Anyone else read it?

Jennifer,
I'm in the middle of this book and, if it stays as good as it is (and I hope and pray it does ), I was going to write a review of it on my blog. I so want to read it with the children. Three up. Hopefully 5 when I finish reading it.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Rebecca wrote:
Lissa, I have not read this book in the series yet. Would it ruin the storyline to read it out of order? I have only read the first three myself and the children have only been read aloud the original Anne of Green Gables. Thanks for your suggestion!

In my opinion it would ruin it totally. Rilla is a beatiful book but I cried for weeks after reading it. It is the pinancle book, my favourite DON"T read it out of order please.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version