Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Teaching Suffixes, Prefixes etc Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary Fifer wrote:
Did I mention the spelling trick I learned from a 1918 book?

The author had been a teacher and career superintendent and was apalled at the new "spellers". Talk about "inhaling"! (That was an excellent prhase, Jennifer.) This was food for my very soul.

I have been so wanting to get back to this discussion but was wanting to get back a book to share this nugget that was food for my soul.

I recently came across a gem, 'Spelling and Handwriting curriculum for Primary Schools' written by the NSW Department of Education in 1970 so this is the book my teachers would have used

I just loved this part on Spelling:
Effective teaching methods will enable children -
....(3) to develop the conviction that both self-esteem and courtesy demand accurate spelling and punctuation of any written material.

Courtesy! When was the last time we heard that?!!
I'm thinking of printing it out and plastering it above our whiteboard.

Actually the book has some great nuggets on handwriting too that I'll share later.

Mackfam wrote:
I decided to order a very inexpensive used copy of The ABC's and All Their Tricks after Tina mentioned it because it sounded like a really great resource after reading all the reviews. I'm enjoying it immensely, and finding it very helpful! Thank you for recommending it, Tina!!

Following this link I note the author is Margaret Bishop. Is not this the co-author of The Writing Road to Reading with Romalda Spalding?

ALMom wrote:
I'm also beginning to believe that using a whiteboard, chalkboard or something that requires children to look away and down is an important component of learning - or at least some eye skills we don't have.

This is what I've been thinking, but I've been googling and haven't found anything. Must be typing in the wrong searches.

Mary Fifer wrote:
At the 6th year my Dad went to Phoenix to learn Phonics at 70 years old and brought home the Spalding Method to his 25-30 grandchildren

My Mum has just come home from a fortnight away re-learning the Spalding method. I've yet to catch up and hear her news.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin wrote:
I recently came across a gem, 'Spelling and Handwriting curriculum for Primary Schools' written by the NSW Department of Education in 1970 so this is the book my teachers would have used

I just loved this part on Spelling:
Effective teaching methods will enable children -
....(3) to develop the conviction that both self-esteem and courtesy demand accurate spelling and punctuation of any written material.

Courtesy! When was the last time we heard that?!!
I'm thinking of printing it out and plastering it above our whiteboard.

That is a great little gem! maybe...for copywork?

Erin wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
I decided to order a very inexpensive used copy of The ABC's and All Their Tricks after Tina mentioned it because it sounded like a really great resource after reading all the reviews. I'm enjoying it immensely, and finding it very helpful! Thank you for recommending it, Tina!!

Following this link I note the author is Margaret Bishop. Is not this the co-author of The Writing Road to Reading with Romalda Spalding?

I don't think so, but the names of the authors are similar and I think that is what is jogging that memory cell. Romalda Bishop Spalding, author of The Writing Road to Reading born 1899, died 1984. Margaret M. Bishop, author of The ABC's and All Their Tricks, died in 1997. What was a little confusing is that both their approaches are extremely similar and they both graduated from Columbia University. The editor of the 5th edition of The Writing Road to Reading is Mary E. North, PhD., the chair and director of the nonprofit corporation Spalding Education International established by Romalda Bishop Spalding before her death. So, while the names are all a little similar, I don't think they are connected besides a similarity in the books.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Wow the similarities are amazing!

How are their approaches similar?

Does Margaret Bishop use the numbering system that Romalda Spalding uses?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Thanks, Jennifer for the prefixes and suffixes links! I especially liked the first one.

I was also glad to see the StartWrite link! We had worked so hard to find a good program for making our Catechism Copybooks and we really like what we see with StartWrite. It has been a God-send to have our Catechism worksheets already made up for either catechism class or for handwriting and our sales show it! It encourages the children to write prettily when they see a good model. Our older children are asking for the Confirmation Copybook because they like the Cursive Writing!

Oh, how I wish I had had a program like this years ago. So many grades can benefit from plain copywork! I like Seton's new handwriting workbooks, too, since they cover real material like interesting facts about the 50 states and they do not need as much supervision as a fill in the blank workbook does.

I have spent many an hour still doing it manually, though, with my 9 year old on a clipboard sitting together on a couch. There's something irreplaceable about one on one help. He is catching up so fast with the extra work - at grade level! I mean that the work is grade level, he is catching up at least in the reading department and has even tried some independent writing. May God bless his generous soul. I say many Hail Marys for him.

Mary
Wife to 1, mother of 8, 7 in God's care
St. Anne's Helper

Saint Anne's Helper for Catechism Class

Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 13 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Oh, Ladies!

Please say a quick prayer that my 12 year old finishes her St. Bridget prayers. Her ending date is Sunday, May 16 and the whole family has been so good to help her remember to get it done each day.

This is a real blessing to us because one year ago she finished the Little Angel Readers and seriously thought that she would not ever have to read again! Reading was a very hard project for her! Our oldest four had benefited greatly by having read these and then I read that Mr. John Taylor Gatto said that old timers simply taught the children to read a hard book and ever after that the children could read anything. I realized that that had helped 2 of my oldest 4, so I made a point of teaching her the syllables of each word she could not read of the St. Bridget Prayers over the course of 2 weeks. She made the best start of the 5 children and that month finished a book that she had been "trying" to read for 8 months!!! She read 10 books in the next month or so!!

Anyway, she is almost finished, and I would like to ask your prayers for her successful perseverance - mostly just so that the family does not get so distracting as we did last April 22 which was her first "start" date. We've asked St. Bridget to pray for us with each of our nightly family Rosaries, so we do have confidence; but we also want you to be able to rejoice with us on Monday!

St. Bridget, pray for us!

Mary
Wife to 1, mother of 8, 7 in God's care

St. Anne's Helper

Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 03 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

I've been meaning to revisit this thread for several months now.

I really wanted to share that my, now 10 old, son is zooming with his reading. Just for fun we have reread some books this summer. He's VERY excited that he was able to read the whole Kindergarten book in less than 24 hours, the First Grade book in less than a week and is working on 10 "fun" books of his choice before he reads the Second Grade book (Living My Religion Series). He's going to zoom through that book since these fun books have very big words in them, especially the animal book…. I can see that he will be able to read the other books up to his being able to start the 5th grade book this fall. Now it's exciting to meet to read! And I'm beginning to enjoy homeschooling for the adventure it can be!

One additional note that might not have been in the notes above: Learning cursive writing was a boost for his reading skills, although I do not yet require him to use it. That's this year's project. He really associated the separation between words after he learned the basics of cursive and connecting the words together.

My daughter finished her St. Bridget prayers on time, too! We were able to rejoice and we all still rejoice with her, especially as she is reading for info. She and her sister read the "how to" bunny book and now have made a very smooth start as bunny owners :-)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version