Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: February Artist Study - Homer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Hi everyone! The next few days will be full here so I'm getting a jump on our February Artist study. As I mentioned previously, Winslow Homer will be our "Artist of the Month". Homer is an American artist, born February 24, 1836, and died in 1910.

Here are a few websites that describe his work and life:

Winslow Homer

Winslow Homer 2

Winslow Homer 2

Winslow Homer 3

Two quotes I thought were worth pondering:

"The sun will not rise or set without my notice, and thanks" - Winslow Homer, 1895

"I regret very much that I have painted a picture that requires any description." - Winslow Homer, when asked for a few descriptive lines about The Gulf Stream

I had a very hard time choosing just four pieces for study. To see more, here is a link to the National Gallery of Art:

Tour of Winslow Homer works

I'll post each picture individually...

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

To the Rescue -oil on canvas, 1886

a link to this one online:
To the Rescue

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

The Country School, 1871, oil on canvas

A link to this one online:
The Country School

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Home Sweet Home oil on canvas, 1863

Link to Home Sweet Home Image

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

And for a treat you can contrast Hound and Hunter in watercolor (top) with Hound and Hunter in oil.

Hound and Hunter watercolor sketch

Hound and Hunter oil

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Thanks to the "heads up" you gave us last week, Amy, I was able to pick up a Winslow Homer dvd at the library when we were there earlier this week.
Winslow Homer: An American Original
We haven't viewed it yet, so I can't vouch for it, but I've seen this series in the kids' video section of the library for quite some time. I thought I'd mention it in case others can reserve it at their libraries in time for the Feb. artist study.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Some of the resources we picked up from the library this past week.

Jonkonnu - A picture book story of Homer’s visit to Virginia about a decade after the Civil War. I am really enjoying this artist/musician study. I am learning a lot as I really am not very knowledgeable about these individuals at all. It was particularly interesting to find out about Homer’s interest in portraying the African-Americans of that time in very human and not caricatured or stereotyped ways. Following his time doing the Civil War portraits (like the one in the study) he was deeply interested in the lives of the former slaves, now freed. This book is about this interest and the painting of Dressing for the Carnival. He painted other similar paintings during this time.   I also learned about the Jonkonnu festival – I had no idea. Very intersteing – any other resources on that anyone?

A cute (though unhappy ending) picture book illustrated by Homer -The Eventful Story of the Three Blind Mice

Portraits Of Flowers and Shadows – a chapter book about a fictional girl who meets Homer and is a model for the painting, Girl and Laurel. I’ve just started pre-reading and will give a review soon.

A Weekend with Winslow Homer – biography told in first person. It's an interesting read with lots of samples of his work. There is a helpful list at the end of the book. It lists by state the places(like museums or universities) that have a piece of Homer's work. It is helpful if you happen to live near one of those locations. Since Homer is an American artist and was very prolific, there really are lots of his works throughout the country. Probably a fairly good chance that many of us can actually take our kids to see an original (especially those of you in Washington DC area)

And of course the Venezia book – Winslow Homer

An online kid's resource -Kid’s page National Gallery of Art

KidsArt has a Homer unit study that looks good. Just ordered it – I’ll let you know.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

What great tips! Thank you Irene and Mary. This is fantastic because we have been reading about slavery and were about to start on the Civil War. I found the Weekend book, Jonkonnu, the Venezia book and the video. I'll be ready

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I just ordered some prints from Dover Publications. I wanted bigger prints for the wall (8x10ish), but I don't know where to look. Anyone?

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2006 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

The kids and I checked out the prints here today. They loved both the Hound and Hunter and Home Sweet Home. Everyone was inspired to paint, and we had lots of watercolors of people which is unusual. Interestingly enough, the 5 yo did the same picture twice, once in watercolor and once in colored pencil.

I was looking at the different prints at the NGA tonight, and I really was moved by Dad's Coming!. I could completely understand the emotions in the face of the woman waiting to see if her husband would come home. Exactly the sort of face you make when the kids aren't looking and needing you to be 100% confident that he's coming back.

My FIL is bringing a video tomorrow so I'll watch it and see if its rec worthy although I hope so since it's probably something he bought for the school district.   

Got to plan a field trip to the NGA before the 26th. Good idea, Amy to do Winslow Homer this month!   

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2006 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

teachingmom wrote:
Thanks to the "heads up" you gave us last week, Amy, I was able to pick up a Winslow Homer dvd at the library when we were there earlier this week.
Winslow Homer: An American Original
We haven't viewed it yet, so I can't vouch for it,

I can vouch for it! We really enjoyed that video!

We love Winslow Homer in this house!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rachel May wrote:
I was looking at the different prints at the NGA tonight, and I really was moved by Dad's Coming!. I could completely understand the emotions in the face of the woman waiting to see if her husband would come home. Exactly the sort of face you make when the kids aren't looking and needing you to be 100% confident that he's coming back.

Rachel, this is just beautiful! You being a military wife gave you this special perspective! Thanks for sharing it. You have me in tears.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Jenn,

You are a sweet!

The sad part for me is the fact that if I had seen this picture before my husband had done his deployment, I don't think it would have effected me at all. I can be a bit short in the empathy department.

I'm curious about people's responses to art. For example, I can only name two other paintings that have captured my interest or fascination in a real way. I enjoy looking at art, but I think it mostly has to do with enjoying the subject and admiring the execution because I'm no artist! What makes you respond to art?

With these paintings, I'm finding that I enjoy the lighter pictures, pictures with the ocean, those that are more "real" and less impressionistic. Those that are more "rough" or just seascapes I don't care for as much.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Rachel May wrote:

I'm curious about people's responses to art. For example, I can only name two other paintings that have captured my interest or fascination in a real way. I enjoy looking at art, but I think it mostly has to do with enjoying the subject and admiring the execution because I'm no artist! What makes you respond to art?

I'm finding that I enjoy the pictures that leave you with a bit of a mystery to solve, but are more on the simple side (a main subject or two rather than 20 people on the beach, for example). The first one above, and the Dad's Coming are like that for me. Despite growing up in a house of artists, I know very little about what makes "good art" other than what I like to look at! LOL

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

amyable wrote:
I'm finding that I enjoy the pictures that leave you with a bit of a mystery to solve, but are more on the simple side (a main subject or two rather than 20 people on the beach, for example). The first one above, and the Dad's Coming are like that for me.

I'm glad you expressed it this way. It made me relook at the first one with new eyes. Before, I sort of said, "Huh. I don't get it."   

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thanks so much for another great artist study and all the superb tips! Love this board!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

happyheartsmom wrote:
Thanks so much for another great artist study and all the superb tips! Love this board!

Me too!!!

Thanks Mary M. for the great book ideas!

My two older girls studied Homer in their Art History class a year or so ago and we were able to see a few of his original works in a traveling show at our local art museum! We love him!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2006 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We had so much fun today1 After reading the "A Weekend with Winslow Homer" (thanks for the suggestion, MaryM.) we pored over one of those huge coffeetable books you get from the library (because they're way too expensive and big to have at home) called "The Life and Works of Winslow Homer" by Gordon Hendricks.

We found one of his works, from the Cullercoats period in England, called Mending the Nets (or "Far from Billingsgate") -- check out my blog (A Great American Painter to see a larger version of it.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2006 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We got Jonkonnu from ILL today.    I promise to put it back in the system soon for others in our library system.   

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I thought this part of the author's note from Jonkonnu would be good to post here for the people who don't have access to the book.

"Homer, sensitive to the plight of these freedmen and freedwomen, was moved to portray them in a manner equal to that used for any white subject of the time. Here ar last was an artist who refused to depict the country's newest citizens as silly, demeaned caricatures."

As we were looking for Dressing for the Carnival, we found   A Visit from the Old Mistress which was compared to Prisoners from the Front. The first is another picture where I felt like I could feel what the subjects were feeling.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version