Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Can't seem to pull it off... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

JuliaT wrote:
Ladies, I thank you for your responses to Kristie's OP. They have ministered to me greatly. I have recently come out on the victorious side of a cancer struggle and I feel like I am floundering trying to get back into the swing of things. All of your replies have helped me put some things into focus.

Kristie, thank you for your honesty in posting this. In asking for help, you have helped me as well.

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3 (10,8,6)

I was wondering how you were, Julia, since you posted on the prayer forum. I've been praying for you. So happy to hear you are doing well!

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Kristie,
You've received some great advice here and I just wanted to add since I too have a large family that what I do is this:
1. My 8, 10, and 12 yr olds know that they have to stay busy with school activities from 9 to 12. Before that they have to get ready for the day, do their chores, and then have some free time to do what they wish. During this time they do things that they can do more or less independently...maths, spanish, english, penmanship, etc..
I have this 3 hour block (from Montessori) so that they don't rush to just get done and instead delve in and enjoy their readings and work.
They also know what is expected and so they don't need to come to me asking what to do next or can they do something else.

2. While they are busy I work with my 5 year old and the 2 yr old joins in as he wishes. I do have shelf work for both of them similar to Montessori schools, but I do Math, Reading, Writing, Calender time, and unit studies with my 5 year old also each morning. This is when we'll read about the first thanksgiving and then do some weaving for example.

3. After an hour or so lunch break my 2 yr old naps, 5 yr old works independently on shelf work or puzzles or plays. I then work as a large class with my older 3. This is when we do Botany/History/Geography/Science or whatever.
This works good for us because the little one isn't interupting and we can get deep into those tough subjects and discussions.

The other thing I'd like to share is in the Montessori method they see 12 as the start of a new phase that is less intellectual...or schooly and more hands on.   They address this by having Farm Schools where the kids basically run a farm...do the chores, order, sell, keep records, etc. instead of doing course work. I don't know about you, but I am seeing this transition in my 12 year old. This year he is less into memorizing the facts and being scholarly as he always was (the 10 year old is taking his place now). I am seriously considering having him try to start a business, start a website, do woodworking or learn some other trade, or something else next year.

In any case maybe you want to ask your older kids what they'd like to be doing...if the answer is video games, well then this won't help much, but maybe they'd like to do an independent project or unit study. If their working until 9pm is imposing on you, then you have to let them know that this just isn't acceptable. If you need to give them deadlines and stick to them...they'll have to deal with this in the workforce someday.

Take care!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version