Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Beginning Apologetics series.. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Does anyone have any opinions on this series. My dd 13 is very interested in Apologetics and would like to get some of these - I have never read any of them?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Marilyn,

Your link didn't work. Are these the ones from San Juan Seminary?

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks Lisa - this is the series. I think I have corrected the link now.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

It's great, well at least the book we have read already! My dd got the light green book (I can't think of the number it was off hand and can't find it right now ). It is what our parish uses for Confirmation classes. She wants the others now.

I went to a FHC required parent meeting last weekend with our DRE. She advocated to all of the parents there who didn't have it to buy it. She told a funny story that during a 10 hour trip, her dh who wasn't CAtholic at the time, was a "captive" audience. She began to read it to him from cover to cover. They were actually on their way to her cousin's ordination. Anyways, a couple of weeks later her dh decided to convert. So it's pretty straight forward and gives good answers. (She joked that it was either that book or the fear of hell that converted him probably a good combination! )

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

I doubt you'd be disappointed with them, Marilyn, especially for your dd. We own books 1-8.
Now that I see book 9 is available, it's time for a visit to our Catholic bookstore. I only wish each of the books had a study guide like book 1.

(The Book 1 study guide includes discussion questions, CCC references with questions based on the readings, and a "digging deeper section -- not necessary but it is a WONDERFUL way to expand apologetic studies, making them more complete -- references to suggested additional readings, for example some books listed are The Faith of the Early Fathers vol 1, This is My Body: An Evangelical Discovers the Real Presence, By What Authority, Where We Got the Bible....on and on with additional references to make this a very complete study.)

The books in the "digging deeper" section of the study guide aren't necessary, but I listed this to show you that book 1 can be a basic beginning apologetic book OR you can pump it up several levels with plenty of reference material.

I pray your family has been recovering well.

God bless!

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

We have the books and we love them. I cannot say that I have read them cover to cover, but we have used them to prepare for a visit from the Latter Day Saints when they come to our door. It really helped us to have an intelligent discussion with them. No conversions were made, but we were able to respond to their questions well and also to ask them questions about their faith.

I have also used the concordance with my dc as part of their catechism. It is a great reference tool to have as well. I also heard the author, Jim Burnham, speak at the Midwest Family Conference. He is a man on fire with his faith. I highly recommend any book published as part of this series.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thank you all so much. I will put them on my list - to get them from Linda Nelson's Christmas in October sale.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

OT - thank you Michaela - most are well, only two had the ugly stomach virus and poor baby girl still has croup - unfortunately looks like I have a cracked rib from coughing (?) so it hurts to breathe, laugh, bend, sleep etc. I am still waiting for a quiet boring week.....

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I have used one of them and plan to get at least some of the others for my ds, as apologetics seems to come up frequently when he's with his local friends, many of whom are evangelical protestants.

On another list I'm on, someone mentioned the series, and one person who was either a convert from Mormonism, or just grew up very closely associated with them (I don't recall which), said that there are several things wrong with the book on Mormonism, so you might want to look more closely at that, esp if you are around them a good bit. She wasn't defending Mormonism at all, just pointing out errors in the book. I only mention it b/c as Catholics, we get frustrated by non-Catholics' perceptions of our faith and I think we should seek to understand other faiths correctly in order to defend ours.

karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 19 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just wanted to share that thanks to this old thread I finally bought Beginning Apologetics and we LOVE it!!!! So thorough, interesting and easy to cross reference and check.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 19 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We use this series a lot, and really like it, too, Erin!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version