Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Halloween for Catholics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sheafmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote sheafmom

I hate to be a kill joy, but Sr. Mary Martha is not a nun as she claims. When her mother passed away she posted part of an article about her mother's abuse in a Catholic orphanage. I and several others googled for more info and found the original article she had posted without the real names removed. When I googled that, I found that she is an actress, named Jane Morris playing a nun, Sr. Mary Martha. When I and others posted comments asking about this inconsistency in her story she removed all the comments regarding her true identity. She has also refused to answer questions about whether or not the money from purchasing things from her "store" went to any real nuns.
Back to Top View sheafmom's Profile Search for other posts by sheafmom

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I saw this at American Papist, how to make a pro-life pumpkin it looks fantastic!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

dale45039
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote dale45039

I found a great article about All-Hallows-Eve in a book called: THE YEAR AND OUR CHILDREN, Planning The Family Activities for Christian Feasts and Seasons by MARY REED NEWLAND Imprimatur 1956. Here is an excerpt:

ONE OF THE NICEST SURPRISES of living around the year with the Church is to find that Hallowe'en is part of it. Not that the Mass of the day has mention of black cats, or the Divine Office of witches, but for so long Hallowe'en meant nothing but parties and vandalism that when someone first proposed that it came out of the liturgy, I asked: "Are you sure?"

To read the entire article, click here.
Back to Top View dale45039's Profile Search for other posts by dale45039

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Don't miss "Putting the Hallow Back in Hallowe'en".

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

Maria B.,
That link didn't work. Can you try again?
Thanks!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think it works now Susana.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote Nique

Thanks Anne - my dh is going to carve the Prolife Pumpkin tomorrow, and that stencil was just what he needed

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

This article by Sally Thomas came out today and I enjoyed reading it:
The Drama of Hallowmas

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Just came to link to Sally Thomas, too. Great thoughts, there.

Also wanted to throw out. We don't really do Halloween yet but it's mostly that we don't at all want our children going around collecting huge bags of candy. A friend of mine who feels similarly does this (which was her oldest son's idea on his first Halloween four years ago).

The kids (she has three) go out early in costume, before it gets dark and collect candy just on their block (they live in a city). Then they come home and dump all their candy into a basket and spend the rest of the evening giving it away to trick or treaters while they enjoy yummy sweet treats that are more in line with their family's nutritional thinking that mom has prepared in advance. The kids love it.

I love this idea though I'm not sure we'll do anything this year. We need to see how Halloween works in our new place.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

We don't do halloween. It is a myth that it is a catholic holiday. See what the vatican thinks in this link:http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm ?storyid=4470
Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Barb.b wrote:
We don't do halloween. It is a myth that it is a catholic holiday. See what the vatican thinks in this link:http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm ?storyid=4470
Barb

http://catholickey.blogspot.com/2009/10/pope-condemns-hallow een-hoax.html

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

We'll be prepping for the big All Saints day party. Sipping apple cider and carving out our "Saint-O-Lanterns". There is so much associated with evil on All Hallows Eve, my kids don't even like going to the stores because of all of the evil looking stuff they have out. We'll also finish reading, "Father Phillip Tells a Ghost Story" and light a fire.

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

Sorry, but even my world book encyclopedia says that halloween is a high holiday of witches. My dh knows some who are wicken at work. My next door neighbor puts up a black mass set up in his front yard! It has evil, satanic roots. To each is own, but as for me and my house we worship the lord and I don't want to offend Him.

Barb

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Barb.b wrote:
   To each is own, but as for me and my house we worship the lord and I don't want to offend Him.

Barb

I came back to the boards tonight to share how happy I am that our Halloween thread didn't turn negative, hurtful, or judgemental.

This is such a wonderful place to be. There is such great comfort here to know that each 4Real family is unique, but also faithfully striving to please and serve Our Lord. None of us would doing anything we believe offends Him.

Blessings to everyone!

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

I am not being hurtful, just sharing my feelings and opinions. Just because they are different from yours doesn't make me judgemental. Just sharing why we don't participate. This is a personal decision. I just was sharing why we don't; sometimes a discussion can have a differing voice and not be judgemental. Since I feel this way and Jesus knows I do, maybe I would be offending him if I participated in halloween. But if you don't view halloween this way maybe you aren't. In other words, if I feel halloween has evil origins and evil modern day practices, then I shouldn't participate. Many don't feel that halloween has evil origins and present day practices. Just a differing opinion. Life would be boring if we all had the same opinion. Thats what a discussion is. I also brought out the vatican newspaper article not because I felt it was the voice of the Pope, but to show that there are other Catholics who feel as I do.

Barb

Barb

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Barb.b wrote:
I am not being hurtful, just sharing my feelings and opinions. Just because they are different from yours doesn't make me judgemental. Just sharing why we don't participate. This is a personal decision. I just was sharing why we don't; sometimes a discussion can have a differing voice and not be judgemental. Since we feel this way and Jesus knows we do, maybe I would be offending him. But if you don't view halloween this way maybe you aren't. In other words, if I feel halloween has evil origins and evil modern day practices, then I shouldn't participate. Many don't feel that halloween has evil origins and present day practices. Just a differing opinion. Life would be boring if we all had the same opinion. Thats what a discussion is.

Barb

Barb

no.

saying, "we don't participate, it does not work for our family" is sharing an opinion.

saying, "it is evil and has satanic roots" is saying that everyone else here who DOES participate in Halloween is participating in an evil, satanic holiday.
how can participating in a satanic holiday be "okay" for any Catholic family?

there is absolutely a difference.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

No, I was saying that that is how we view it. I didn't say you are being satanic. It is just fact that is has satanic roots; that doesn't mean those who participate in the custom of trick or treating are satanic. I was just explaining why some choose not to. Suggesting that I was saying "it is evil and has satanic roots" to mean all who participate are satanic is like saying "st patricks day has irish origins so everyone who participates in St. Patricks day are irish. I was just trying to explain why we don't. Really, stop being defensive. Not once in my posts did I condemn anyone for participating in halloween. In fact I said it is a personal decision - which implies there is no right or wrong here.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This thread has proven to be a productive discussion and sharing of resources for individuals to reflect on this topic and the choices families make. The reason for the original question was that a member had an awareness that there are indeed elements of the current “celebration” of halloween that are not holy and even occult practice. Those participating in the thread are aware of that. That does not mean that there aren’t good and holy elements for those who choose to celebrate it as the vigil of All Saint’s Day, something it has been historically. That seems to be what the article cited from the “Vatican” is saying.   According to Catholic Culture the Vatican newspaper article encourages parents to help their children avoid the harmful influences of the occult and the frightening aspects of the public observances. The quoted Vatican employee, Fr. Canals, said parents should "be aware of this and try to direct the meaning of the feast towards wholesomeness and beauty rather than terror, fear and death.”

Whether or not to celebrate All Hallow’s Eve/Halloween is a decision that individual families must make for themselves, and those who do not feel it is an appropriate holiday to recognize are free to avoid it. Similarly, those who recognize it as the vigil of All Saint’s Day and choose to incorporate those traditions that orient it that way are also free to do so. This is a prudential decision and there is not an absolute on it. Care needs to be taken when making statements that could imply judgement of others whose choices are different. Please choose tone and wording to avoid that.

As a side note, in regards to reports from the “Vatican” and media in general, the article Lindsay shared was very interesting. I had already started looking for additional clarification on the reporting. It was clear that the head lines out there were sensationalized by secualr media. Both links at Catholic Culture were to media sources putting their spin on the original.   A common error of journalists is to interpret the texts of L'Osservatore Romano as if they were of official value for the Magisterium and the voice for it. It is not the Vatican speaking in an official capacity as the Magisterium but often individuals who happen to work in the Vatican. The media then often takes that and reports it as “the Vatican says.” In the normal course of events, L’Osservatore Romano does not speak authoritatively for the Church in matters of faith, morals, or public-policy judgment.” Prudence should be used when reading the secular media’s analysis of anything claiming to be what the Vatican says.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

MaryM wrote:
Whether or not to celebrate All Hallow’s Eve/Halloween is a decision that individual families must make for themselves, and those who do not feel it is an appropriate holiday to recognize are free to avoid it.

Well, this was exactly my point, so I'd say we agree.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Father Angelo Geiger, FI has a very prayerful and thought provoking post at his blog on the topic of All Saint's Day/Halloween:

Mary Victrix

He references the age old struggle of light against dark and weaves it through history. Excellent.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version