Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Keva/Kapla Planks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 27 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Thanks. I guess for the price we'll give them a shot!

pilotswife
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 27 2010 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote pilotswife

We have both Keva Planks and Citiblocks. Our first purchase was Keva Planks under the name of "Contraptions". Very expensive, but so worth it at the time. It included a great book filled with instructions and ideas for big contraptions, tunnels, flumes, platforms, etc, as well as two large ping pong balls. I think lots of people build objects out of the keva planks, but my son, who lives to make contraptions out of everything in the house, just loved the ideas in the book. He made some amazing ball runs.

Well, two of my other children always wanted to make their own things when my oldest was using his set. I wasn't about to spend that much money on another two sets. But when I saw a set of 200 CitiBlocks on clearance at ToysRUs for $11, I got them each a set. 200 was never really enough anyway!

Side by side, I cannot even tell which set is which. The planks look exactly alike. You don't have to get colored ones; Citiblocks have plain wooden ones too. I think our set has 10 colored ones out of 200. The weight of the planks are the same and they are both smooth. I see no difference in how well they are sanded. And the objects/contraptions are just as sturdy as the more expensive set.

Even though I do like the idea book that came with the Keva Planks, I would buy the cheaper CitiBlocks if I had a choice. You can find all sort of plans and blueprints online if you look hard enough.

Hope this helps!
Take care
Back to Top View pilotswife's Profile Search for other posts by pilotswife

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

pilotswife wrote:
Side by side, I cannot even tell which set is which. The planks look exactly alike. You don't have to get colored ones; Citiblocks have plain wooden ones too. I think our set has 10 colored ones out of 200. The weight of the planks are the same and they are both smooth. I see no difference in how well they are sanded. And the objects/contraptions are just as sturdy as the more expensive set.

Even though I do like the idea book that came with the Keva Planks, I would buy the cheaper CitiBlocks if I had a choice. You can find all sort of plans and blueprints online if you look hard enough.

Hope this helps!
Take care

It did help, thank you SOOOO MUCH. I couldn't make it to Costco until today, and my local one was out of Citiblocs. I found out which other stores had them and made a trek to one -- very unlike me, but $20 for 300 seemed pretty good.

I bought 2 sets and at the checkout they rang up for $9.97...so I went back and bought 2 more for gifts. I'm really happy.

Apparently this is a deleted item, so they won't be restocking it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Any idea how many planks would be good to get? At the $10 price I want to get all that we'll want to have now rather than having to go pay 3 times as much later!
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I believe that my boys have 200 now. They can each build one smallish project each or one biggish project. We're getting 300 more and if I see the price drop again, I may get even more. I just don't think you can have too many!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm looking for books or booklets with ideas for building. I did see some Kapla booklets (series of 4), but one reviewer said there was only 5 designs, and they don't specify how many blocks to use for the pattern.

I was tempted to buy the Contraptions just for the plans. Any ideas?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

I'm bad. I bought 8 boxes of the 300 today at Costco. 2 are for my sisters kids, and I wanted to have extras on hand for birthday parties my boys are invited to, but I'm stumped on how many to give for Christmas. I was thinking either 1 box for each of the 2 boys (600 total) or 1 box for each of the 3 biggest kids (so 900 total.)

Melissa
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 11 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ladies,
Mr. Ken Scheel, president of KEVA planks, has noticed our thread and has asked if he could offer some information about his KEVA blocks. His message is below:

Ken Scheel, KEVA wrote:
Dear Jen,

We love to support the homeschool community since we homeschooled our three daughters and my wife continues to teach art at 2 homeschool co-ops.    

One member mentioned that her KEVA canvas bag had a torn handle. If she sends us an email we will replace it for her.   (Moderator note - Ken provided his email address. I will pm that member directly with contact information. If you need Ken's email, pm me (Jen-Mackfam) )

Also I wanted to point out that KEVA planks takes pride in being one of a just a handful of toy companies that manufactures in the USA.   Our profit margins are small but we continue because we love making our product here and all of the ancillary US business we get to work with. We also work hard to create cutting edge projects such as the new KEVA Contraptions set that uses KEVA balls and adds action to the play. Contraptions won the prestigious Disney Family Fun Toy of the Year Award for 2010.   We also strive to present KEVA planks to families as more than a typical toy. Our instructions look more like art work than a toy and the book includes games and activities as well as projects.

We know Citiblocs went to the mass merchants such as Costco and Toys R US and dropped their price very low.   We do not try to compete with them on price since they use extra soft pine and have a brief instruction book. When making complex structures, the quality and precision of the blocks really matters and we believe we have impeccable quality in all of our planks.

Whatever blocks you choose, we wish you a wonderful and blessed Christmas.   

Sincerely,

Ken Scheel
President, KEVA planks

Note: The KEVA planks in Contraptions are made from high quality pine in China.    All other KEVA sets are made in the USA.

Edited to move the coupon code offered to the members of 4REAL to the Trading Post.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version