Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Saint Francis of Assisi Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 23 2012 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
MaryM wrote:
MaryM wrote:
Demi has a new book coming out this fall on St. Francis. Her books are always visually beautiful. Will have to see how the story is.

Saint Francis of Assisi

Hoping our library gets this book before next week but I doubt it.

I'm waiting for my library, too.

We did get it in time for his feast day. Actually got the book on October 4, his feast day. This is a lovely book. Demi did such a wonderful job at capturing the life of St. Francis and his joy and love for God. This covers his whole life. I should have posted when I had the book in my hands. Now I'm going from memory.

The other book that was mentioned by Ellie is Clare and Francis by Bimba Landmann. For the illustrations, this is priceless. I did like the text, too, although juxtaposing Demi with Bimba, I liked Demi a bit more on the text.

But I'm getting pickier over time on my St. Francis books. I want him depicted as almost crazy for the Love of God, for Jesus and his Gospel. Not for creatures, not for man, not for poverty, etc.

St. Francis lived the Gospel. Literally. That was an amazing feat, and Bimba's book really pointed out how people thought he was crazy, but still attractive. But it falls short on his love for peace and people attracted to him for his peaceful loving nature, instead of highlighting how his love for God transformed everything. He loved Creation and God's creatures because they reflected God and His love and beauty, etc. It's not just love of creatures!

It's a subtle point. I am not saying it has to explicitly say this, but I keep hoping the devotion to St. Francis will get past the peace and animal loving to see what really is attractive about this man's radical love of Christ.

And I'm not singling out Bimba's book, but so many of the picture books miss the essence of St. Francis and it frustrates me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just remembering to come back here about the Demi book on Francis. Loved it! It is beautiful and very accurate in details. She presents his life in an authentic Catholic way even though she is not.

Also this year found the Clyde Robert Bulla version of Song of St. Francis. It is very sweet. I really enjoy Bulla's work and am discovering titles I didn't know. It is an easy reader so a bit more than a picture book. Based on the legends and writings we have of St. Francis but obviously also has some fictional storytelling related to his youth which we don't really have details of.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this thread because it's the best collection of picture books on St. Francis of Assisi.

I'm adding a few more, some might be duplicates. I'll break up the posts a bit.

Saint Francis and Christmas themes:

The books that cover St. Francis and the first Creche are many, and I love that these fill double-duty, for his feast day and for Christmas:

• Saint Francis and the Christmas Donkey by Robert Byrd, OOP, included in Catholic Mosaic list.

• A Gift from Saint Francis: The First Creche, by Joanne Cole. OOP, 1989.
    This book is very lovely. It captures the life of St. Francis, the illustrations are very reminiscent of medieval style, in rich colors. It encapsulates the story of the first creche succinctly, without elaborated extra stories. I really like this one.

• St. Francis Celebrates Christmas by Mary Caswell Walsh, Loyola Press, 1998, still in print.
    This book details St. Francis assembling the first creche, bringing in his friend, John, who helps gather the materials, animals, and people for the live nativity. It is simple and the illustrations are sweet, but not cartoony or syrupy. A good one to read.

• The Living Nativity: The Story of Saint Francis and the Christmas Manger by David & Helen Haidle, OOP, Honor Books, 1998.
    The story centers around a lame boy, Anthony, and his wounded donkey. He helps St. Francis set up the Nativity. There are beautiful thoughts/prayers of Anthony as he realizes God's love for him and the significance of this holy night.
    The text is so lovely. The pictures are good, not great. St. Francis looks like a very modern man, balding (not a tonsure), so while it might be realistic, it may not be as appealing as the typical illustrations of St. Francis.

• Saint Francis and the Nativity by Myrna A. Strasser is one of the newest, 2010 by Zonderkidz.
    I highly recommend this book. The illustrations are brightly colored, reminiscent of stained glass, but the faces are clear and distinctive. This story revolves around Mario, a shepherd boy, who works with St. Francis. The story weaves in Mario thinking of Jesus as the Good Shepherd and praying to Him. Part of the story has Francis going to Rome to ask permission to have the Nativity, which shows a positive obedience aspect.
    Very lovely, especially weaving in the imagery of the Good Shepherd with Jesus, the Newborn baby.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Canticle of the Sun

The picture books that incorporate the Canticle of the Sun are numerous, also. Most have been mentioned in this thread, so I won't elaborate on reviews if already mentioned.

The Canticle of the Sun is also called Canticle of the Creatures, Song of the Sun, Song of St. Francis, and other names. Each book has a variation of the translation. None of these have the same text even though it is the same prayer.

• The Circle of Days by Reeve Lindbergh, illus. by Cathie Felstead. OOP, Candlewick, 1997.
    Illustrations are done in watercolor, gouache, and collage, and are quite inviting and beautiful. Margot Davidson was the first to recommend this book, and I quite agree with her!

• Canticle of the Sun: Saint Francis of Assisi illustrated by Fiona French. Ignatius Pres, 2008.
    I love Fiona French's style especially her "Bethlehem" and "Easter" books, but that is more Stained glass style. This one is more abstract in mosaic fashion, with animals and other creation worked into the mosaic. The front cover is indicative of most of the illustrations. They are brilliant in color and so pretty, a wonderful backdrop to the prayer.

• Brother Sun, Sister Moon by Katherine Paterson, illustrated by Pamela Dalton. 2011, Chronicle Books.
    The illustrator incorporates scherenschnitte, the art of papercutting, on a black background, and weaves in Pennsylvania Dutch imagery and symbolism in the images. Very lovely. One of my favorites. I like this translation of the Canticle, also.

• The Song of Francis by Tomie dePaola, OOP, 2009.
    The illustrations are typical dePaola, with his unique birds and angels. Francis looks like his other book. The text is a little elaborated, as if he's singing this to creation and the creatures all come to listen.
    I love the dedication, to Mother Placid at Regina Laudis monastery. This is a religious order who is dedicated to singing Gregorian Chant.    I know those nuns are praying for Tomie!

• Song of the Sun: From the Canticle of the Sun by St. Francis of Assisi illustrated by Elizabeth Orton Jones, OOP, 1952.
    I highlighted this earlier in the thread. This is my favorite of all. The illustrations are just so beautiful and inviting, with the incorporate of so much nature.               
    The text of the prayer is a bit archaic, and I do stumble a little over the wording.

• Song of St. Francis by Clyde Robert Bulla, illustrated by Valenti Angelo, another OOP published in 1952.
    MaryM mentioned this earlier in this thread.. I really want to see this one.

• Song of Creation printed by Laughing Elephant Books in 2000.
    This has no main author or illustrator. I bought this in Williamsburg at a discount table because I was drawn in the beautiful images. This book uses various art work for each page to illustrate the prayer. The back lists the artist and the name of the painting. A beautiful art study book.

• The Song of Francis by Angelico Chavez, OOP 1973. I haven't seen this, but the cover looks so inviting.

• The Song of Francis and the Animals by Pat Mora, illustrated by David Frampton.
    This uses woodcuts, which are quite beautiful. The text is elaborated and isn't only the Canticle.

I'm sure I missed a few....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The words of Pope Francis today at Assisi are wonderful, and key to what I strive to find in my picture books of St. Francis.

This is the first news item I've found. I know there will be longer translations. But key points:

Quote:

"In all of Francis' life," the Pope noted, "love for the poor and the imitation of Christ in his poverty were inseparably united, like the two sides of a coin."....

"His first and most essential witness is this: that being a Christian means having a living relationship with the person of Jesus; it means putting on Christ, being conformed to him," the Pope said, emphasizing that Francis’ journey of faith began "with the gaze of the crucified Jesus."....

Pope Francis reflected that often people associate peace with the great Saint of Assisi, but that few go deeper into the peace which he "received, experienced and lived," that is "the peace of Christ" which comes from "the love of the Cross."

"It is the peace which the Risen Jesus gave to his disciples when he stood in their midst and said: 'Peace be with you!'"

"Franciscan peace is not something saccharine," he said, "That is not the real Saint Francis! Nor is it a kind of pantheistic harmony with forces of the cosmos… That is not Franciscan either; it is a notion some people have invented!"

"The peace of Saint Francis is the peace of Christ, and it is found by those who 'take up' their 'yoke,' namely, Christ’s commandment: Love one another as I have loved you."

Pope Francis concluded his reflections by looking at St. Francis’ witness to respect, "safeguard and protect all that God has created," in the world, noting the most importantly the Saint’s "love for every human being."

"Francis was a man of harmony and peace," the Holy Father recalled, "From this City of Peace, I repeat with all the strength and the meekness of love: Let us respect creation, let us not be instruments of destruction! Let us respect each human being."

May there be an end to armed conflicts which cover the earth with blood; may the clash of arms be silenced; and everywhere may hatred yield to love, injury to pardon, and discord to unity."

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

General biographical picture books of St. Francis

• Francis, Brother Of the Universe, Marvel Comic.
    Although not a picture book, I had to include the Marvel Comic as a great presentation of St. Francis. This was first issued in 1986, and out of print in 2006. You can find copies pretty readily.

• Francis, the Poor Man of Assisi by Tomie dePaola. Unfortunately, this book has become OOP, originally published in 1982.
    This is a most wonderful biography, including the story of St. Clare. It is included in Catholic Mosaic. The text is very lengthy and probably cannot be read at one sitting. Very accurate portray with rich detail.

• The Good Man of Assisi by Mary Joslin, copyright 1997, also OOP and included in Catholic Mosaic.
    The illustrations by Alison Wisenfeld are simply drawn and colored, but very enticing, with wonderful details but kept in clean lines.
    The text is shorter and with larger print than dePaola's book, so better for reading for younger ones, and also a shorter time.

• Saint Francis by Brian Wildsmith is another OOP, copyright 1996. This is included in Catholic Mosaic as suggested reading, but no additional activities attached to this book.
    Brian Wildsmith's illustrations are unique and very enjoyable to just gaze and ponder. All his religious biography books (Easter, Jesus, Christmas, Exodus) typically include an angel on every page, so that is an aspect to hunt.
    The text is written in first person, as if St. Francis is telling his story, and the style imitates his humble simplicity that we have in the few recorded words of this saint. There is not much text, so this could be read to younger children that have less attention span.
    My only hesitation is the treatment of St. Clare, as it has her following Francis and serving him, rather than her committing to God through the Franciscan way.

• The Story of Brother Francis by Lene Mayer-Skumanz. OOP, Ave Maria Press, 1983. Translated from the German.
    I don't pull this one out often enough, but when I do I remember how much I like it. The illustrations are simple watercolor. The text is longer, formatted to look more like a poem, not paragraphs. Very thorough and accurate, beautifully written prose. Includes his visit to the Holy Land with the Sultan.

• St Francis of Assisi by Nina Bawden. OOP, copyright 1983.
    The illustrations by Pascale Allamand are colorful and appealing especially to little ones. The text is larger print and appropriate for younger readers. But the story is not dumbed down and includes his stigmata and death bed stories, but also various delightful animal stories.

• Saint Francis of Assisi: A Life of Joy by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., illustrated by Dennis Nolan. OOP, Copyright 2005.
    This is mentioned above in the thread. It is well done. It is longer text, and very thorough, and the illustrations are very realistic.

• Francis: The Poor Man of Assisi (Life of a Saint) by Juliette Levivier
    This is part of the Magnificat/Ignatius Children’s books, with other saint biographies in the series. I have not seen this particular book, but we really enjoyed the other saints in the series. The illustrations are lovely, and this fills the need for short saint biographies for newer readers who aren’t ready for Vision or other chapter books.

• Saint Francis of Assisi by Demi.
    I love Demi's illustrations, and this book is no exception. The story is thorough, and the pictures are just wonderful. I don't have a copy here to give particulars.

• Brother Sun, Sister Moon: The Life and Stories of St. Francis by Margaret Mayo, OOP, 2000.
    I'm waiting for my copy from the library to give more details later.

• Clare and Francis by Guido Visconti, illustrated by Bimba Landmann.
    Ellie gave a wonderful review of this book. The pictures are just worth their weight in gold. While Clare and Francis did not have much personal contact before his "conversion" (different than Benedict and Scholastica), I love having books that include her story, because the Poor Clares are an integral part of the Franciscan family. St. Francis himself knew that he and his brothers were only successful in their work because of the prayers of the sisters behind them.

I know there are others, but these are the ones I have access to my home collection and library.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:
    This is part of the Magnificat/Ignatius Children’s books, with other saint biographies in the series. I have not seen this particular book, but we really enjoyed the other saints in the series. The illustrations are lovely, and this fills the need for short saint biographies for newer readers who aren’t ready for Vision or other chapter books.

• Jenn
    Have you seen this one yet?
    Just noticed my favourite book spot has this and three others in the series. (not St Francis books)

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
    JennGM wrote:

• Jenn
    Have you seen this one yet?
    Just noticed my favourite book spot has this and three others in the series. (not St Francis books)

No, my library wouldn't order this one, but did for the others. From this series I've seen the Therese, Bernadette, and John Vianney and really like them.

I'll insert another Francis themed book here from the Magnificat/Ignatius book, the Loupio books. Volume 3 has just come out. These follow an orphan, Loupio, who is befriended by Francis. These are comic books, but written for younger readers. Very enjoyable.

CrunchyMom
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My boys really like the Loupio books as well. Good to know there is a new one for Christmas

I have Francis: The Poor Man of Assisi, too. It is a nice biography with lovely illustrations. Definitely biographical (from birth to death) rather than stories of the mythical Francis.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
    Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
    If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
      [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
    Printable version Printable version