Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Addition to Piano Education Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 19 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm shopping for a piano. This little phrase is all encompassing. I've played piano for many years, and majored in college for a couple of years until I developed fasciitis and tendinitis too severe to continue on. My wrists have always seemed to cause problems.

But I digress....In researching for a piano, I've just learned so many new things...and some of it has got me to thinking, "Why haven't I heard this?" Maybe I just had bad teachers, or I just wasn't listening well those days....

The main reading is from The Piano Book by Larry Fine. This is THE book to read when buying or just owning a piano, used or new. Must also see Annual supplements for up-to-date info about pricing and manufacturers. These are also available from Amazon. I would recommend that any piano owner read and/or own this book. Now this isn't a living book, and it's adult level...teenagers could probably do fine.

In this book, Mr. Fine breaks down a piano, its parts, the action, all sorts of details (with black and white illustrations). Then he also compares the different types of pianos -- verticals to grands, in all sizes, then the brands and countries of origin. The piano market has changed, and this makes it harder than buying a car!

But in reading this book, I never knew that the action of a grand piano was structurally different than a vertical. I grew up playing on a 1940s Everett console, practiced on that almost exclusively. I had difficulty going into competitions and recitals adjusting to a grand piano, but I just thought it was because the keys were stiffer. But the reason is deeper than that...the action is different. SOMEONE along the line of my education should have pointed out to me that in preparation for higher level playing or recitals that I should be practicing on grand pianos.

Now, I'm not saying I'd still be in the music field, or that would have made me a "better" pianist...but it might have made my comfort level a little higher. I have a soft (weak ) touch as it is, so the grand made it even harder for me!

In short, I think this is an important aspect of piano education. I remember my piano teacher showing me the basic structure of the hammers hitting the strings, etc., but I never learned as much as this!

===================

For further info on pianos, I found:

Short Guide to Buying a Piano..is not very short, but VERY informative.

Blue Book of Pianos

Piano World The forums on this site, particularly about pianos, has been extremely informative. The people that congregate here really know their stuff!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 19 2006 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Jenn, Don and I were just talking about this, but in terms of violins. Our friend who makes violins was saying how some music college students have no idea what it takes to make an instrument (and some maintain them poorly, too). Don suggested that it should be part of a musician's education to learn about the history and manufacture of the instrument, and maybe even spend some time in a shop. I agree, and the piano books you mention seem like a good start.

A cool piano field trip? Steinway Factory Tour!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 19 2006 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MacBeth wrote:
A cool piano field trip? Steinway Factory Tour!

Oh yes! I was thinking that, too! There are few American factories that would be quite neat to visit. These come to mind:

Charles WalterStill a family tradition....this is one of the pianos I'm actually considering.

Astin-Weight are some unique pianos made in Utah.

But on the subject of Steinway, this was something enlightening to me. I'll quote Larry Fine:
Whether by cultural accident, successful marketing, or its inherent qualities, the kind of tone that has been most sought after in North America for the last hundred years is the "Steinway sound," best described as having a strong, singing treble and a powerful bass, rich in high harmonics. But the Steinway sound is not the only tone in town. Other manufacturers, by preference, tradition, or an inability to match the Steinway sound, offer other models of tone for you to choose from. Some European pianos, for instance, emphasize the fundamental tone that sustains at a lower volume. This results in a much less powerful sound that Steinway enthusiasts would likely find dull, but one which has been traditional in Europe since before Steinway was founded. Many Asian pianos have a bright, brittle tone, also short on sustain, which is often preferred by jazz pianists for its crispness. Listen for these differences and form your own opinion and tastes.
Reading this made me think this is similar to what has happened to the wine industry. Parker's Guide to Wine has influenced wine makers to add and/or use more oak and change their process to suit Parker's needs, although taste does vary!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Just before we moved from Hawaii we decided to throw away our over 100 year old piano. It was a console grand and in such bad shape that the tuner and the teacher said it would not be a favor to give it away. Well, it only cost me $80 when I bought it 10 years ago.

Instead of hauling it to the dump, we dismantled it so it could go out with bulk trash. It was so fascinating to all the kids in the neighborhood (they watched me carrying pieces to the community trash area) that I invited them over to take out the keys, check out how the action worked, bang on the strings, and see the amazing amount of crud that had collected under the keyboard (not as much stuff as MacBeth found in her dryer--or was it washer?--but I think there was a mouse skeleton ). They loved it, and a college student neighbor "rescued" the hammer mechanism from the trash to show his mom.

Each of the neighborhood kids kept a white and black key, and then I popped the ivories off the other whites and gave them to a homeschool friend so they could do scrimshaw with them. If I had to do it over, I would have invited the pianists specifically. Most of my dismantlers were mechanically minded boys......

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

The research on our new piano consisted of "what can we afford at the Georgetown piano sale?" Luckily out tuner says he had the same piano for his kids and says "they can beat the <bleep> put of it and it will take it."

If someone ever becomes a real pianist we can look into a better one.

I'm liking the look of the Steinway tour!

Have you seen this the Touch of the Master's Hand? I saw it in HS and remember it being about how violins were made. I missed the point apparently, but is that a part of this movie also?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rachel May wrote:
Instead of hauling it to the dump, we dismantled it so it could go out with bulk trash.

That is so neat, Rachel! What a memory you made for those kids!

You could have made money on the ivory keys...they sell them on eBay, but I think you put it to better use.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

jenngm67 wrote:

You could have made money on the ivory keys...they sell them on eBay, but I think you put it to better use.

Seriously. Our violin guy, who also makes violi de Gamba, uses ivory that he salvaged when he was 16 to do cool inlays on period instruments used by medieval groups.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Funny about selling the ivories! The piano teacher had said when she used to be a Baldwin dealer, they kept BAGS of ivory keys that they gave away to people who do scrimshaw. That's where I got the idea. I bet that was before Ebay though.....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Here's a nice place to visit online (or in real life if you're near MA) for a Historical Piano Collection.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One more website that is extremely useful information on piano care, is Resources for Piano Owners from the Piano Technician Guild....the experts.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Thanks Jenn! My sister lives in MA so maybe we could make in a field trip.

I'm wondering whether you or anyone else has information about slowing down the key action. My tuner recommended it as a way to keep the hammers from breaking from too much pounding from little ones, but I'm curious whether it's good for the player. Maybe at this age my kids play slowly enough that it doesn't matter? The tuner plays any instrument by ear but has no formal training so I'd like a second opinion before I pay him to do this to our piano--slow down the action not play it by ear, I mean!      

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rachel May wrote:
I'm wondering whether you or anyone else has information about slowing down the key action. My tuner recommended it as a way to keep the hammers from breaking from too much pounding from little ones, but I'm curious whether it's good for the player. Maybe at this age my kids play slowly enough that it doesn't matter? The tuner plays any instrument by ear but has no formal training so I'd like a second opinion before I pay him to do this to our piano--slow down the action not play it by ear, I mean!      

I have not heard of this term. Does your piano have a practice pedal and mute bar? If that was engaged, wouldn't that help the hammers from getting a lot of abuse.

I would call a registered piano technician for a second opinion. The link above to www.ptg.org will give you a list of some in the area. I also have two local VA techs who are very good, if you want their numbers. They were so helpful on the phone.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Maybe I'm not calling it the right thing?

I think what he was saying was that he could change how quickly hitting the key translated into the hammer hitting the string. Perhaps by lengthening the distance between the key and hammer mech somehow. I seem to remember him saying it was a few turns of a screw.

I don't know what a practice pedal or mute bar are.    I'm the only one with legs long enough to reach pedals and play at the same time though. I think he was trying to protect them from roving toddlers and over excited 5 year olds.    I'm going to look and see if he's on the list you mentioned. Otherwise I'll pm you for recs. Thanks!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version