Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Embracing Our Domestic Self Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Stephanie_Q wrote:
This thread caught my attention b/c I've been reading "Holiness for Housewives" and listened to a tape borrowed from my priest by Dia Boyle called "Homemakers, Housework, and Heaven"
She addresses an article by a woman who felt the necessity of quitting work to stay home with her kids and was looking forward to playdates and friendships with other moms - and was disillusioned when she couldn't keep up with all the work and after all the other moms went back to work, she did, too (and was much happier, of course).

She emphasizes that if God has called us to this vocation it is the way He wants us to seek His kingdom. He wants us to be good homemakers and carry out our daily work well. I suppose we love this lifestyle because we have embraced it as God's will.

For the women who have returned to work, she made a good point: Many women become SAHM's without realizing that they are not quitting work, but are taking on a new, different kind of work. You wouldn't leave banking to become a nurse without training - we need to educate ourselves and each other to do the work God is calling us to well by cultivating friendships and supporting each other.

She talks about how the practical aspect of homemaking is perfected by grace: [GRACE PERFECTS NATURE] and emphasizes: We are not called just to be good homemakers, but Christian homemakers.

She gives examples of how to love God (morning offerings, doing work according to a schedule so we're not doing it when it pleases us, but when we ought to do it in order to please God, offering each task as a prayer and bring our work to prayer - asking God for help in getting it all done)

She also talks about how we must love our neighbor - family 1st - doing our work with a spirit of service; then she repeats that while doing our work efficiently may give us time to volunteer at the food pantry, for example, we should not forget our fellow homemakers as neighbors who need that love - and who is more available and qualified to take a meal after a baby is born and other such things...than those of us who are homemakers?

OK, so its taken me longer than I thought but, I just spoke with Dia Boyle who gave the talk mentioned above entitled "Homemakers, Housework, and Heaven." She said the tapes are no longer available for purchase but she has a copy she can lend to me if I want to make copies. The talk is only on cassette.

So, if I get a copy of the cassette tapes, is anyone technologically savvy enough to put them in a format (a podcast or something) that everyone else could listen to?

Let me know.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version