Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Taking care of yourself Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

How about some sweet smelling candles? I found when I lived on the coast (lots of cloudy days) that the natural light of the candles was very cheering. My favorites are something with cinnamon in them.. it's a mood lifter as well.

Maybe candles with meals? breakfast by candlelight?

Also start paying attention to your neighborhood.. you may find that so many are gone by mid-day that you might as well be on acres without neighbors.. and at least open up the house during that time.. also what about sheers? you know the lace or sheer fabric that can go over the windows so that you don't feel looked in upon but still let in lots of light?

Also.. if the sun is hitting your windows.. the reflection won't let anyone see in.. and if you open those windows you'll get lots of light. Go outside your house at different times and see how easy it actually is to see in so that you'll know when are times you might like certain windows closed.. when are times that no one can see in.. which windows need a sheer on them etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, Caroline...the sunshine!!!! That would be a BIG thing for me. Could you consider some large shrubby plantings that would offer privacy and allow you to keep the window shades open? I know...that's sort of a long term solution. But, it helps to think of doing something productive. Hedge yourself in, my friend!    People will just say, "those kooky homeschoolers!"

If it's a new space/new house maybe a project that allows you to pretty up a corner would be rejuvenating - nothing too big, just pretty new curtains you sew, or a tidy little desk or organizing center for yourself.

Bookswithtea wrote:
Just don't come down on yourself too hard if the exercise thing doesn't happen right away? Sometimes an important component for alleviating burnout is extra rest, downtime, or just quiet moments.

I think this is really important. It's just as important to give yourself permission to take mental health moments/days if you feel you need them. I definitely pencil in mental health days on the planner when needed!!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh plants! a faster solution than a bush is a hanging basket with flowers in it :)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
oh plants! a faster solution than a bush is a hanging basket with flowers in it :)

Yes!!!!! Big gigantic ferns and lush flowering baskets - placed strategically in front of the windows!!!!!! What a delight! Makes me happy just to think of it! You could camouflage the windows and draw the birds in one fell swoop!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Wow! Now we're really getting somewhere (I'm not sure where )! Candles, hanging plants, sheers...starting to look pretty good around here Seriously, though, all these special touches are wonderful in our lives, but right now I am constrained as we are renting here, our real home is in Virginia... but it's really questionable if we will ever return... and, as foolish as this sounds, since I don't want to stay here, I'm not investing myself in any friendships, activities, or beautification projects. And THAT is the real crux of the matter...I am a big forward-thinker...always making plans for the next thing...very involved in teaching RCIA, Bible studies, Cub Scouts, etc in my VA parish...with nothing to do here except my household chores. Now don't get me wrong, I do in fact believe that there is every good reason why God has allowed this (what I consider) extreme level of enforced detachment in my life, and I already am seeing good spiritual fruit from it...but it is very hard for me, truly a cross. Again, back to the issue of contentment, in this case it seems like contentment with little. I could do the candles, though, Jodie! And probably the plants, too (though I'd probably kill them with my lack of attention You are all so wonderful!
Jennifer, we did have a bird in our house once...It came in through the dryer, but that's another story...had to chase it out with a broom !

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

get pothos type of plants.. they droop when they need water and perk right back up when they get it

hmm no curtains.. what about a standing screen? could be covered with sheer fabric or lace and stand in front of a window. and you could make just one and move it around to which ever window is near where you are at that time.

-Sir Walter Scott

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

JodieLyn wrote:
get pothos type of plants.. they droop when they need water and perk right back up when they get it

hmm no curtains.. what about a standing screen? could be covered with sheer fabric or lace and stand in front of a window. and you could make just one and move it around to which ever window is near where you are at that time.

You are the greatest~I'm crying now at all these kind and creative ideas! I feel like I have a whole team of wonderful, loving sisters supporting me, when I have been feeling so lonely! And laughing, too, because the only plants I have been able to keep alive inside are the ones that dramatically wilt whenever they need water (like zebra plants!). The lace screen idea sounds so beautiful, too. Thank you!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

stellamaris wrote:
but right now I am constrained as we are renting here, our real home is in Virginia... but it's really questionable if we will ever return... and, as foolish as this sounds, since I don't want to stay here, I'm not investing myself in any friendships, activities, or beautification projects.

Ahem...dear Caroline, renting and being somewhat transient shouldn't mean zero creative endeavors. Especially since you like to forward think! There are things you can do that won't require un-doing them if you are to move. And what about creative things you can take with you, like family albums, or elaborate homeschool plans that you won't use for at least a year?

I can't keep plants alive. I hear you there. But my dd's can. Can you assign a child to watering some hanging plants? Look at it as his or her "something to love" and call it school! You could also consider things like a new tablecloth or something to hang on the wall.

Another thing that really helps me with environment is setting the cd player to constant repeat with some really inspiring music. I leave it on in the main room and I hear it as I walk through. It helps to keep my heart lifted toward God. My favorites for this are John Michael Talbot and Michael Card.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ok...I've got the rental house thing...and I'm with you on nurturing contentment, but a small vignette that is beautiful and inspiring to look upon and visit is uplifting to the spirits! Can you carve a small niche out of the kitchen counter or on your desk...or somewhere...to call your own.

A Corner of Loveliness

** Grab some pretty scrapbook paper and create a lovely and inspiring prayer journal with a notebook you have lying around.
** Make a home management plan/notebook...use the same pretty notebook paper so there is a theme. You don't have to overthink this - just make a place for plans and goals to land.
** Set out a basket with your favorite prayer books.
** Set out a small holy card with a seasonal prayer or saint from whom you're seeking assistance. Change this seasonally.
** A small vase of fresh flowers...small...very small, but still uplifting.
** A favorite candle
** A tiny collection of beautiful natural offerings - a lovely glass or crystal container of sand and a couple of shells from your trip to the beach, autumnal leaves gathered together in a bouquet, a tiny basket of acorns and nuts from a nature walk. Just something small from the natural world that you find lovely.

These are all things that go wherever the heart of the home happens to be, but they're important items that convey loveliness. The home was meant to echo the beauty of the Creator. Allow one small corner of your home to sing for you, to be a place of retreat and loveliness.

to you, Caroline!! Praying you right through to dark chocolate and sunshine!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Another thing - you mentioned that your dh has long hours, your dd is lonely, you just moved and you are burned out.

One thing it sounds like you need right now is encouragement. We are human after all and that personal word of thanks or pat on the back is so uplifting. When your older children are experiencing their own sadness and lonliness and you are trying to help them carry that as well - you may be going a long time without hearing that necessary word of encouragement from a real human being. This may sound really hysterical - but my dd sewing teacher made a habit of occassionally speaking outloud for her children "Wow, mom, thanks! You're the greatest." She would go really over the top so that it never came across as a complaint or anything. She just aknowledged that she occassionally needed to hear such things and she provided the hearing. I tried it and it really got to be funny around here - but a big mood uplifter. It did also remind us all to be grateful - and yet mom wasn't being a nag or anything. All was in good cheer.

Big hugs. You are doing a great job, I'm sure. What you have described is a huge amount on your plate all at once.

Oh, I did also finally tell my dh that sometimes I got stressed cause he seemed to trust me too much with this schooling stuff when I felt like I was a disaster and he had no idea how bad science or whatever was going.

If there is any way at all to carve out some husband time - even if it is sitting in the car together after taking dc somewhere. I don't have a surgeon for a dh so this is an extra challenge for you seeing that his time demands are more unpredictable and intense. My dh really didn't change the way he responded to my schooling - even after knowing all the details, he still thought I was doing a great job, but I believed it more.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version