Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: AVKO Spelling Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I wanted to share a success story with AVKO Spelling. I learned of this program from Elizabeth and ended up buying the first binder at the Nache conference this past summer. I am using it with my 7 and 9yo dds together. We have only done around two lessons per week on average.

My 9yo, who has been severely spelling-challenged, to say the least, has improved dramatically. She did a freewrite today on "If I Were the President" and I was amazed at how much of it was spelled correctly! There were still many errors, so don't think this has been a miracle cure for poor spelling, but the improvement has been rather dramatic. She spelled things like "would", "president", "United States", "tear down", and "banish" correctly on her own. She still had misspellings like "Amarica" and "honer" and some very inventive spelling for words like memorial ("mimoryul") and illegal ("elegle"), but I guess that's to be expected at her age, especially for a non-natural speller. (At least they were phonetically correct for the most part!)

The program is so simple and does not entail studying a spelling list at all. I second the recommendation for trying this for spelling-challenged students.

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

Thanks for sharing a success story, Irene. Congrats to your 9 yo!

We have used AVKO's typing program with some success as well.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Irene,
We have this too, and I love the approach. Thanks for the reminder. I need implement this so that my spelling challenged child will hopefully get the help he needs.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 02 2008 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Two years on, how are you finding the program?

I am really really serious about buying this, it looks like the method dh and I learnt by and we're both good spellers. Word families and related spelling rules, root words with suffixes and prefixes, sounds just what I have been looking for. I just downloaded their free sample lessons (so look out children )

I need help though making a decision, do I buy the sequential spelling book , I would buy the combo considering the range of ages I have plus shipping costs; or do I buy If it is to be it is up to me? What do you think? Or should I get both? Oh dc are all in need of it and ages are 14, 13, 11, 9, 6 & 4.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Can I tack on a question? Did you start at the beginning with your 9 year old? We're going to start it this year too, but I'm not sure if I should take my bad spellers back to the beginning or start at a later book. I have to cost compare, but Rainbow Resources has it too.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 03 2008 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Erin wrote:
Two years on, how are you finding the program?

I still like the AVKO program for my spelling-challenged dd. As for how the program went, I found that I needed to stop having the two girls work together on spelling because it would frustrate the older of the two when her sister got more correct than she did. I switched the younger of the two over to Spelling Power, which worked great with my oldest dd, who is more of a natural speller. (I use Spelling Power more for the lists, however, and not as written.)

Honestly, we do not do spelling every day, so we just now finished the first AVKO book. It took two and a half years. It has definitely improved the spelling of my dd who uses it. Although she is begging to leave spelling behind next year, as her big sister was able to do in 7th grade, I know she needs to continue working on it, so I have the 2nd AVKO book ready.

Erin wrote:
I need help though making a decision, do I buy the sequential spelling book , I would buy the combo considering the range of ages I have plus shipping costs; or do I buy If it is to be it is up to me? What do you think? Or should I get both? Oh dc are all in need of it and ages are 14, 13, 11, 9, 6 & 4.

I'm not clear on what you are asking here. Did you mean to ask whether I recommended buying one book at a time or the Book 1-7 set? If so, I'm not sure. Based on it taking over two years for us to complete a book, it might not be worth buying the entire set. But I had a friend who zoomed through the first book because her kids loved doing spelling and wanted to do more than one lesson per day. (I know, hard for most of us to believe! )

Rachel May wrote:
Can I tack on a question? Did you start at the beginning with your 9 year old?

Yes, I started at the beginning of the first book, even though she was 9 years old. She was not happy about having to do such simple work in the beginning, but she really needed the basics. And, as I said, it helped.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Thanks, Irene. I was hoping we could start at the beginning because that's how my brain works. We're pretty spelling challenged here too, and I think the boys will actually enjoy having easy spelling to start. Maybe I'll finally learn to spell.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 04 2008 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I have found a supplier in Australia so that's very exciting.

Irene,

What I was asking was whether I would be better to buy the If It Is To Be It Is Up To Me or the Sequential Spelling Program (now I have found a supplier here I would only get one book at a time.)

If it Is To Be recommends to use for an 11yr old up, although I had a look at samples and the Sequential looked easier for me to use. Important

So although money is an issue I also want to keep my older two/three's interest. Do I start them all on book 1 or do I start the olders on another book or the If It Is To Be? This is what I am struggling with

An important thing to keep in mind is that although all of my children like spelling. according to the Morrison-McCall Spelling Test they are all two grades behind (except for the 6yr old who is a year ahead).

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 04 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Erin wrote:
What I was asking was whether I would be better to buy the If It Is To Be It Is Up To Me or the Sequential Spelling Program

Now I understand, Erin! I had never heard of their newer "If it is to be . . ." book, so I thought you had some sort of typographical error in your first question because the sentence didn't make any sense to me.

From what I can tell, the newer book is the same as the first Sequential Spelling book except there are more suggested sentences to go with the words. Based on that, I'd just advise buying Sequential Spelling. I always make up my own sentences and do not find it a problem. Sometimes I'll make up sentences related to one topic for all the words in a day, and try to be humorous. So I don't see how suggested sentences are that helpful.

On the other hand, if an older child would be bothered by using the same book as a much younger sibling, it might be worth it to buy both, for the sake of the older child's self esteem and confidence. I guess that would be your call. I do know that my daughter was bothered by the fact that she was doing the same spelling lessons as a sister who was two years younger, and that's partly why I switched her younger sister over to Spelling Power. The younger sister is a much better speller, but with two different programs at least the two girls are not comparing apples to apples in the area of spelling now. YKWIM?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2008 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thanks for your opinion Irene, it really helps to have someone say what you are thinking. I think I'm inclined to go the way of the Sequential Spelling 1 for now, to avoid the competition issue I may break the children up into different age groups, the olders can spell faster anyway and they may well choose to do two lessons a day and progress through the book faster.

amethyst
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote amethyst

Erin wrote:
according to the Morrison-McCall Spelling Test they are all two grades behind (except for the 6yr old who is a year ahead).

Erin, is this test online?

Elizabeth's Rosaries
Back to Top View amethyst's Profile Search for other posts by amethyst Visit amethyst's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

We have used Sequential Spelling for 4 years now and the way we use it has changed over time. I love the word lists. They make so much sense. In fact they are so logical, that we have switched to almost completely oral spelling. It makes it go faster, the kids retain the information and apply it, and there is a built in competition factor that makes it one of our favorite times of day.

To preserve each one's dignity, often I have each kid on a different list in the same book. (I just choose a word family and cycle everyone through all of them eventually).

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Funny story - we got to the list that included "Eartha Kitt" - who's that?

Well we all looked it up on google and found out that she was a singer - hmmm - let's see if she is on utube.

Oh my!

Mama learned her lesson that day!

The AVKO spelling program has been a good fit for us - we did take two years to finish the first book - I started it with my then 4th and 6th grader. It's a great program for older children who have spelling issues.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version