Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: help -- anyone familiar with any of these Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

My dd (in college) has to pick one of these books to read/review for her honors class, and she's asking my opinion -- I think I've seen Blink mentioned here before, but I'm not familiar with any of the others. I'm okay with her reading anything really, she's in college after all and in a better place to exercise her spiritual muscles. But it still might be a good idea to avoid any really worthless or spiritually dangerous reads.

1.     Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking - M Gladwell
      Stumbling on Happiness - D. Gilbert
      How We Decide - J. Leher
      Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness - Thaler and Sunstein
      Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain – M. Wolf
      Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School- J. Medina
      Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain - J.Ratey
      Welcome to Your Brain: Why You Lose Your Car Keys but Never Forget How to Drive and Other Puzzles of Everyday Life – Wang and Aamod
      Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Become Who We Are- J. LeDoux
      The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind – B. Alan Wallace
      The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science – N. Diodge
      Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships –D. Golerman
      The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less – B. Swartz
      Virus of the Mind: The New Science of the Meme – R. Brodie
      The Myth of Multitasking: How "Doing It All" Gets Nothing Done- D.Crenshaw

The Philosophical Baby: What Children’s Minds Tell Us About Truth, Love, and the Meaning of Life- A. Gopnik

Blind Spots: Why Smart People Do Dumb Things - M. Van Hecke

Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior – Brafman and Brafman

Thank you for your help!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Willa and I have both read "Blink." Well...I read most of it . I don't recall anything of concern in content although there is an under current of concern about issues of race - which is tricky. I think the whole topic is deceivingly tricky. On one hand it reads easily and makes sense. Yet it may be difficult to discuss or write about because...it lacks objectivity to hang your hat on. It is difficult to capture - the blink of a moment and how many variables come together to form a "blink" response to the moment, although I do give the author credit for trying and for doing a decent job.

Good luck to Aisa as she chooses a book. If she does choose, "Blink", have her talk with Willa .

(Thanks for the list. I think the Myth of Multitasking looks very interesting...)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I've read Blink, Sway, and Blind Spots. I don't remember anything in them that would be spiritually dangerous and I probably wouldn't have a problem with my college daughter reading any of them. I think there were some parts of Blind Spots that I didn't agree with.... don't remember details.

I think all of them have their issues -- the tendency in that kind of book is to select evidence to prove the case made, and there is also a sensational-type element.

Oops, have to go! child needs computer now.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version