Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Nativity of the Blessed Mother Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2009 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote molly

What are your plans for tomorrow? I know in the past we have had threads about this feast, I am looking for new ideas Or just share your devotion to this feast, I love new ideas.

Whoever suggested starting the new school year on this day, thanks, I love it
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2009 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

We make a huge Happy Birthday Banner and each kid gets to decorate a patch.

It always hangs in our School room for a very long time!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2009 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We're having our first "back to school" co-op get together; the pastor is celebrating a special Mass for the homeschoolers ! and then we'll do a luncheon etc after. We'll do birthday brownies (I think it was Maryan who said that BVM MUST have loved chocolate !) and we'll be reading Biffi's book about Mary and playing Marian card games ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2009 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

We'll have a blue day - Blue decorations, blue candles. Also we'll look at many of the titles that Our Holy Mother is named under. Something crafty, anything blue that sparkles, and we will make a banner as well, With a nice big birthday cake - Nothing to amazing but very Marian.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 2:16am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Mary G wrote:
We'll do birthday brownies (I think it was Maryan who said that BVM MUST have loved chocolate !)

This was exactly what I decided last night as I baked a cake for Mary's birthday today! I had to pick between chocolate and vanilla, and I decided that she would have loved chocolate, being a woman! Of course, she never had any chocolate, but somehow isn't it a blessed thing to know she was a woman like us? I felt closer to her, realizing to what great extent she sympathizes with us and how perfectly she can understand even the little needs, sorrows, and demands of our lives as women and mothers. Our plans are to go to Mass (our "birthday present" to Mary), and then later in the day have a little lemonade (from Mondays with Mary!) and cake. I'm hoping we'll have time to make Meredith's tissue paper roses to use later in the evening when we pray the Joyful Mysteries. We will begin the Novena to Our Lady of Sorrows. Today we will read the story of the Annunciation (the purpose of her life), and then each day during the Novena I plan to read the Scriptures that pertain one of the sorrows to the children and briefly discuss the virtue and gift that the novena mentions for that sorrow.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

What beautiful plans, everyone!! Your post, Caroline, brought tears to my eyes....She DOES know how we feel, doesn't she??? I have been so busy with illnesses the last week that I sort of dropped this, but I am getting away from the screen and going to plan something sweet for Our Lady!!
Have a great Feastday, everyone!!!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Today is a double blessing in our house as it is Our Lady's Birthday and my dd, Tessie's fifth birthday! She loves sharing a birthday with Mary!

Special cakes made by my oldest dd, a read-aloud from the Catholic Treasure Boxes stories about Mary, praying the Rosary and visiting with friends are just part of our plans today. I hope to do a small craft, too, if I can pull it together.   

Joyous Feast, everyone!!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Susana

A little late but,...
We celebrated by bringing white lilies to our Blessed Mother, singing "Las Mananitas" (the Mexican birthday song) to her, snacked on on some blue and white M&M's while reading "Young Mary in Nazareth", eating blueberry muffins with whip cream and blue sugar on top (we got to go over a friends house to do this, so it was even more fun!), and for dinner we had "invisible" kool-aide with blue ice cubes and blue jello for dessert! :)

I wanted to take pictures, but couldn't find our camera :(

It was a very nice and special day ;) I loved reading what everyone else did too. It is so fun and you all really encourage me to make these feast days special!

-Susana

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote molly

Susana, you made me laugh, not being able to find the camera. I had the camera, no batteries    Story of my life.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts all!
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2009 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

September 8th is also my older brother's birthday. Always have to put in a call to him.

We spent the day in Cameron Parish at one of the Catholic church redone (for the second time) due to Hurricanes Rita (2005--wind damage) and Hurricane Ike (2008--flooding). It was a low-Latin Mass followed by a covered-dish luncheon and cake in the hall.

Pictures here.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Helena and I attended a beautiful Holy Mass at our Parish and then paid a visit to an older woman who lives near the Church, who had slept too long and missed Mass. She was upset about this, so Helena and I ran to the local "b"aker and bought some breakfast rolls and had a simple but festive "B"reakfast for Our Lady's "B"irthday. At home we "b"aked "b"lueberry lemon scones a la Kimberlee at Pondered in my Heart , to share with the rest of the family. Helena used our "b"lue silk play cloths to make an altar for Mary. She picked "b"eautiful weeds, I mean, flowers and put them in a little vase next to the statue of Mary.
As you might have guessed it is "B" week in our home.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version