Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Snowflake Bentley Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 15 2006 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

Kristen Gammel put this great unit together and has offered it to the whole group. Thank you Kristen!
2006-05-05_173559_2006-01-15_155848_Snowflake_Bentley_Plans. doc

Kim

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2006 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Wow - thank you SO much! I was *just* doing a web search on Snowflake Bentley because my 6yo wants to do W.A. Bentley for our biography fair coming up. What wonderful timing!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 3:05am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

That's a great unit Kristin. I especially liked the connecting it to Our Lady of the Snows study - what a great idea. We love studying snowflakes here too. I've included some of the activities we have done along with snow crystal study and had posted last year on the RabbitTrails list.

ART/CRAFT:
When we studied snow crystals before something we did was to make beaded snowflakes. They are really pretty. I have used the Hearthsong kit and purchased additional beads when those ran out.
This is a site with directions for one of the snowflake patterns that is the same as the one in the HearthSong kits. - Beaded Snowflake pattern
Micheal’s Craft Store had small kits available before Christmas – might still have them on clearance.
Here are additional sites for beaded snowflake directions and/or kits and forms:
pattern 1
pattern 2
snowflake wire form

These are more complicated but pretty designs
pattern 3
pattern 4

Another snowflake craft I have wished I could do is crocheting or tatting– but since I don’t we just purchase the already made ones and hang them around the house. For those of you who can crochet or tat I found this website: crochet snowflake patterns

Here is a cute snowflake shaker card

And I love rubber stamps and paper punches. There are lots on the market with snowflake images. They are a very easy way to decorate anything or make small snowflakes for decorating. Decorate them with glitter for the “crystally” effect.

The Winter Kids Handbook has a couple fun activities –
-snow structures with marshmallows and toothpicks
-string snowflakes (sort of like easier versions of the crocheted ones)

PAPER SNOWFLAKES
My favorite paper snowflake book is Paper Snowflakes for All Ages – Robert P. Kelley. Unfortunately it is out of print and prices on Amazon are pretty outrageous, but maybe you could get it from local libraries which is what I do.

Although we enjoy making lots of the real thing (i.e. paper snowflakes) this is an AWESOME site (similar to the one Kristin provided in her unit study) because there is no mess when you cut virtual snowflakes. My kids could spend hours on this page. You can even have their virtual creations made into a real rubber stamp (for $9.95 and up) if you like!     

Lots and lots of activities and games (as well as paper snowflake patterns) at this site: Paper Snowflakes.com

COOKING/SNACK TIME
Decorate cookies or make rosettes with these molds and cutters from House on the Hill.

Also Meringue snowflakes

BOOKS
I loved the illustrations in the Snowflake Bentley book and it got me interested in wood cut illustration and like Kristin we studied Mary Azarian. We did the activity of making or our wood cuts with the Styrofoam trays. I found this site with listings of other books with wood print illustrations. A couple others are winter type books so would fit in with the study pretty easily.

SPIRITUAL
A visual reminder of prayer intentions is to put the intentions on small paper snowflakes and tape them to our door. The idea being that we are “storming” heaven with our prayers. I’d wanted to do something where the intentions would be visible and encourage all of us to prayer more frequently and remember all the needs we are praying for.   

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We did a unit on this book last year.

Here is an awesome science experiment to make crystals -- but these come out looking like snowflakes: Enchanted Learning - Real Crystal Snowflake -- we had so much fun with these last year. We saved the snowflakes and put them on the Christmas Tree this year -- they were gorgeous.

One note: make sure you use a WIDE mouth jar, a couple got a bit stuck.....And be careful with the Borax -- some kids are allergic.

Here's a great page of paper snowflakes: Dave's Snowflake Page, another on cutting out perfect paper snowflakes: How to make the Best paper snowflakes and last, a site that gives the history of snow crystal observations (and lots of other links too): Snow Crystals. com

Enjoy!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

krgammel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 22 2006 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote krgammel

I have really enjoyed catching up on this after being of town for a few days!

Thank you all for your input! I really love the things that you have shared as well. I have looked everywhere but Enchanted Learning for that experiment! Thank you Mary G, I thought I had lost my mind.

We had a wonderful time with this book! Our last project was converting our Jesse tree into a snowflake tree. We switched the purple advent lights to white and then decorated it with the snowflakes. Mary M, I absolutely love the idea of "storming" heaven with prayers attached. PERFECT!

+Kristen
Back to Top View krgammel's Profile Search for other posts by krgammel

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Kim,
   What a fun study! I LOVE the draw a snowman game! That's one way to make school fun!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

This is amazing!!!

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

Here is a Snowflake Bentley Free Lapbook that goes with the lessons in FIAR Volume IV.

Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

krgammel wrote:
I have really enjoyed catching up on this after being of town for a few days!

Thank you all for your input! I really love the things that you have shared as well. I have looked everywhere but Enchanted Learning for that experiment! Thank you Mary G, I thought I had lost my mind.

We had a wonderful time with this book! Our last project was converting our Jesse tree into a snowflake tree. We switched the purple advent lights to white and then decorated it with the snowflakes. Mary M, I absolutely love the idea of "storming" heaven with prayers attached. PERFECT!

+Kristen

Kristen,

Could I steal that roll-a-snowman game and add it to some of the snowy type units at HSS?

Just let me know and thanks :)
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

The latest Taste of Home email newsletter, also had a bunch of snowman related foods.

Quote:

Snowman Meal
Youngsters will dig right into this playful potato-topped Snowman Party Stew, loaded with ground beef and vegetables, from our Test Kitchen. The dashing details are easy to add after baking.

A homemade white sauce seasoned with Swiss cheese and garlic salt adds great flavor to this speedy Cauliflower Snowman.

Edible Evergreens require only two ingredients and are a snap to assemble. Just gather the edge of a fruit roll as you wrap it around a sugar cone "trunk" to make pretty evergreen "branches."

Creating this charming Sweet Snowman is even more fun than building the real thing—and you don't need mittens to do it. All the purchased treats kids love give this frosty fellow his engaging identity.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

And this snowflake tortilla my friend Dee sent me

Snowflake Tortilla

ETA Link.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh Rachel, I love the Snowman Party Stew. We have made it here several times. It's kind of time intensive but sure cute, especially when you have any snow/snowman themes.

Laura W. posted an idea she found for cute snowmen donuts.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version