Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Quick tea time snacks for school days Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

As I continue working on my schedule I realize that for a few months at least, I will just not be able to bake goodies for teatime - except for special saint and name/ feast days (which we have many of in the next couple of months ) I am trying to find some quick snacks - as our teatime ritual is important in our house - we usually drink decaff British tea with milk and honey/sugar. I am hoping to buy or quickly prepare some snacks which are not unhealthy.

Please share ideas.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

muffins (which have infinite variations, some such as pumpkin or zucchini are maybe even good for you; we also sometimes make plain and mix in grated cheddar cheese - really yummy with jam; also you can use any quick bread recipe and just bake it in muffin pans); fruit; cheese and crackers; okay - maybe a cookie or two, but that's more likely if we're not having a sweet dessert that day

I love tea time - just the right time for a little something...

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Good bread with butter and jam is a favorite here, as well as cheese and crackers and fruit, apples and nut butter, and, on some really desperate days, microwave popcorn and M and Ms . Oh, and cinnamon toast.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Even though I am English, we don't do afternoon tea - it is just extra calories and we eat about 5pm so if mine need a snack, they have honey popcorn, a krisproll, a banana, a bit of bread or toast. Mostly they just get a cup of milk. Now I feel mean and un English
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Nuts. Fruit. Rice cakes. Breadsticks.

More British and more fun:
Scones, Scotch pancakes, Bara brith (so easy it hardly counts as baking! I posted the recipe here.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Elizabeth -what is muscovado sugar?
Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

hylabrook1 wrote:
Elizabeth -what is muscovado sugar?
Peace,
Nancy

Not Elizabeth - but as a fellow Brit - Muscovado sugar is light brown sugar.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks for the great ideas. I need to have a mega muffin baking session and freeze. So my list has

- popcorn (no microwave but an air popper)
- cheese and crackers
- bread and jam
- cinnamon toast
- scones
- fruit
- cookies
- bara brith
- pretzels
- granola and yogurt
- graham crackers
- applesauce made in the slowcooker
- quick peach crumble
- Aussie Annie's blueberries and yogurt special
- almonds and raisins (for my kids that can have nuts)

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

MarilynW wrote:

Not Elizabeth - but as a fellow Brit - Muscovado sugar is light brown sugar.

Marilyn, I had no idea you were a Brit.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

You should here her lovely accent.. Marilyn and Lucy, and all other Brits....we have always heard of your tea time as an important part of your culture....is it still? In modern Britain, do many people still stop to have tea, and what time is that usually? Do they tend to have their dinners later? Has the "Starbucks" mentality with coffee hit Britain as well?   I can't wait until Lily is old enough to attend (or prepare and serve) a formal tea, how fun!!!

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Well for us and our families it is not really a big part of the culture in the sense of tea and something to eat. When I was at school, we had a cup of tea and a slice of toast every day when we got home, about 3.30 and then what we called tea which was dinner/supper at about 5.30-6. DH was brought up drinking coffee, and I don't like normal tea at all, so we don't really stop for tea. Most people who do take a tea break do it about 11 and about 3-4, but just have a mug of tea and a biscuit (cookies) or a chocolate bar or something! Going out for afternoon tea is quite rare, as it is usually pretty expensive to go for a proper cream tea or afternoon tea, although people often will have a cup of tea if they are out somewhere. You do see a lot more people walking about with coffee in a paper cup - you never saw that when I was a child, or only at the beach with a polysterene cup of disgusting tea!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Interesting, Lucy! Thanks for the info, I love learning about English culture.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

KC in TX wrote:

Marilyn, I had no idea you were a Brit.

KC - my kids call me a pure thoroughbred mongrel!! I am from everywhere - right now am dual nationality British/American!
4ladsmom - my accent is a mix of British/South African/American and a bit of French thrown in!!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I think it also depends where you are in England I think. In certain places dinner is called tea and they have it very early. In our home we too had teatime at about 4pm when we got back from school and then supper at 7pm. (I was in London). My husband who was in Liverpool had dinner (called tea) when he got back from school and supper was a snack before bed.

Talking about teatime traditions - my favorite place for taking afternoon tea is in Yorkshire (lived in Leeds) - and going to Betty's in York or Harrogate or Ilkley - just thinking about is making me hungry.

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

The "tea" times you talk about, like having your larger meal at 4pm seems better to me, as far as eating healthy...because you aren't having this huge meal a few hours before you go to bed. If my husband got home earlier, that would be nice. Often, we do sort of follow that schedule on the weekends....I like it better.
Betty's looks lovely....I wish they would open something like that in my little town. I was all excited when word on the street was they were opening a "tea house"......woohooo!!! Culture, in my town!!! BUT..it was a tea house with tons of New Agey stuff, including a frequent sign outside "Intuitive Readings Today".....good grief, needlesstosay, I haven't been in it, makes me so mad!!

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Thank you ladies for this delightful thread. Inspired by Colleen's suggestion of bread and jam for teatimes we recently made several batches of blackberry, strawberry and blueberry jams and jellies. We're also stocking up on local honey and maple syrup to drizzle on hot biscuits or homemade bread. We're so looking forward to teatimes with a taste of Summer...the next best thing to visiting a charming tea house!

This thread made me think of our favorite tea quote (cut from a box of Celestial Seasonings' Candy Cane Lane tea, and kept tucked inside the corner of a tea cabinet door): "A roof to keep out the rain. Four walls tokeep out the wind. Floors to keep out the cold. Yes, but home is more than that. It is the laugh of a baby, the song of a mother, the strength of a father. Warmth of loving hearts, light from happy eyes, kindness, loyalty, comradeship. Home is first school...for the young ones where they learn what is right, what is good, and what is kind. Where they go for comfort when they are hurt or sick. Where joy is shared and sorrow eased. Where fathers and mothers are respected and loved. Where children are wanted. Where the simplest food is good enough for kings because it is earned. Where money is not so important as loving-kindness. Where even the teakettle sings from happiness. That is home." Ernestine Schumann-Heink

May all your "teakettles sing from happiness" as you embrace a new season of learning "what is right, what is good and what is kind"!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Servant2theKing wrote:
This thread made me think of our favorite tea quote (cut from a box of Celestial Seasonings' Candy Cane Lane tea, and kept tucked inside the corner of a tea cabinet door): "A roof to keep out the rain. Four walls tokeep out the wind. Floors to keep out the cold. Yes, but home is more than that. It is the laugh of a baby, the song of a mother, the strength of a father. Warmth of loving hearts, light from happy eyes, kindness, loyalty, comradeship. Home is first school...for the young ones where they learn what is right, what is good, and what is kind. Where they go for comfort when they are hurt or sick. Where joy is shared and sorrow eased. Where fathers and mothers are respected and loved. Where children are wanted. Where the simplest food is good enough for kings because it is earned. Where money is not so important as loving-kindness. Where even the teakettle sings from happiness. That is home." Ernestine Schumann-Heink

May all your "teakettles sing from happiness" as you embrace a new season of learning "what is right, what is good and what is kind"!

That is such a lovely quote, Servant!!! Thank you for sharing it!

I love teatimes - they are a time set aside to slow down, visit, and engage in hospitality and conversation with my children. My teatime offerings are pretty simple really. I found that there is much to be said for presentation though! I enjoy using pretty dishes to set out a simple biscuit with strawberry jam and a light tea. In fact, last year I found at the thrift store a teatime set that I cherish. It was a set of 4 plates and teacups for $5. They're all made of clear glass, and the plates are all shaped like apples, each with a round indentation for setting the teacup upon. I'm sure it's probably meant for punch and party food...but I use the set in the fall when apples are in abundance - we have sliced apples, apple jam on toast, apple crisp, apple cake. Makes me happy just thinking about them! I like searching for little seasonal treasures to use for our teatimes - a few pieces of nice china can often be found at flea markets and thrift stores! These seem to make toast and jam a little more special. My meager contribution as a southerner to a delightful thread!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Servant - I have exactly the same quote on my fridge! - together with a few others from Celestial Seasonings boxes.

On the subject of tea - I just have to share that my teapot is brewing away (or at least my electric tea kettle) as I await a dear 4real member who is visiting from out West today Ok - you folks in Alabama and Michigan and Texas - when are you going to visit for a cuppa ?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version