Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: 2006 Winter Olympics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 29 2006 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Kelly wrote:
This is a total change from Miss Rebecca , but the comment about "Chariots of Fire" made me think to ask what other Olympic-themed movies might we put in our quiver for an Olympic Unit Study?

Cool Runnings

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is another article on our Catholic homeschoool Olympian - Rebecca Dussault. It's from this week's Denver Catholic Register. It tells a little more about her homeschool experience. She was homeschooled by her future mother-in-law. Very interesting.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

You all, wasn't there some movie about the big US/USSR ice hockey match that year the Olympics were in New York state? I'm still tracking down "Olympic" movies...

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Kelly wrote:
You all, wasn't there some movie about the big US/USSR ice hockey match that year the Olympics were in New York state? I'm still tracking down "Olympic" movies...

Kelly in FL
Yes Kelly, it's Miracle with Kurt Russell. It's been a couple of years since we watched it think. I remember it was pretty good.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Found this link to a list of Olympic Themed movies

URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/32XT MPF1ZVMXW/104-7435]movies[/URL]

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Trying the link again

movies

It should work now,

Natalia

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

The Old Schoolhouse Magazine (one of my favorites) has a mini Olympic unit study by Amanda Bennett. Here it is:

Mini Olympic unit study

Hope this is a help!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

New article on Rebecca Dussault in the Denver Catholic Register!

Rebecca Dussault

Enjoy!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Wow! What a story! It will be a great addition to our current events in our Olympic section! It's neat we can show our kids that homeschooled kids can achieve wonderful things! Way to go, Rebecca!!!!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Rebecca is also the cover story on the NCRegister: NCRegister -- she's got a great story, no doubt about it!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

ElizaPA
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote ElizaPA

Doing some more research on Bl Frassati, I came across this website savior.org/saints/frassati.htm, which indicates that he was "tutored at home for years." Just thought it was interesting.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Thanks SO much for all of this info!! This is JUST what we need in our house right now. I bought the unit study, the Bl. Frassati book, book marked the great websites, and bought everyone a new comp. book this afternoon. I'm already feeling refreshed!! YAY!!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Wow! Excellent Elizabeth! I'm just so excited we can do something that relates to our Catholic faith with this Olympic study. And the fact that it's in Turin, Italy! I need to get on this, and get something going here!
Thanks!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Sugar! The link I posted to the free mini unit study for the Olympics isn't coming up for me! I was about to print it out to use!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I am a bit slow and maybe everyone else already was thinking of this connection, but St. John Bosco can also be tied into the study. I knew he was an Italian saint but had not associated him with Turin specifically until a few days ago. So now I find Turin is where he was ordained and then started his ministry to youth. His Oratory of St. Francis de Sales for boys was there in Turin and it is where he died. And as long as we are looking at Turin connected saints from the Oratory - St. Dominic Savio and St. Maria Domenica Mazzarello

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I was very excited when I made the connection that St. John Bosco was from Italy!

I purchased the Amanda Bennett Olympic unit and the kids are really enjoying it. I do have to say, we don't cover everything the way she has it laid out. We have made flags and maps for Greece, Italy, Russia so far. Tomorrow we're going to cover Canada. We've planned our Olympic meal Friday night to eat while we watch opening ceremonies. When the summer games were on two years ago in Greece, we ate greek food on a blanket in front of the tv while watching the opening ceremonies. That left a lasting impression on my dc so we're going to do it again! We're gluten free at our house so I'm rising to the huge challenge of making my own ravioli ! I'm excited!

There are several great internet links in this unit. Today we learned the difference between Nordic skiing and Alpine skiing. The link showed a detailed demonstration of each. I'm loving this!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Courtney,
I also purchased AB's unit but we haven't started yet. I am glad you are enjoying it. We will start soon.

Natalia

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

TracyQ wrote:
The link I posted to the free mini unit study for the Olympics isn't coming up for me!

Isn't coming up for me either.   

Courtney wrote:
I purchased the Amanda Bennett Olympic unit and the kids are really enjoying it. I do have to say, we don't cover everything the way she has it laid out.    

Same here.
I pull up the day of the week we're on and let my 12 yr old read and link the older section while my 8 yr old does the lower level. I've set index cards nearby and they are expected to write the vocabulary words, find definitions, and write down any interesting facts they find. I also ask relative questions on some of the index cards which they have to answer. In the end, they will take their index cards and compile into a report.

Funny thing...or perhaps not so funny. My 12 yr old ds has not taken to this study. He's complaining that we study the Olympics every time it crops up. I think he's actually bored. He's right. So I'm trying to focus on the geographical area and all these personalities that are being shared here. I told him that certainly he could handle a 4 week study and each Olympics is a new experience. It's a good memory refresher.

I really thought he'd be excited because he was so pumped up about the Super Bowl. But the Olympics is not the Super Bowl...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Cay,
That's why I decided not to buy any unit studies for the Olympics. I was going to refer to the mini unit study at TOS, but it's not there anymore, it seems.

We've done Olympics units every time, and we have so much other stuff going, I just wanted to do it along as part of our current events, and just use what we wanted as we went along.

Ah well, I'll just come up with my own stuff. I hope I can find good websites that will be neat, etc.

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Kelly wrote:

Kelly in FL

Yes, *Miracle*. Great movie! GREAT time for USA Olympic history! Thanks for the reminder. We're just about to watch our Buffalo Sabres against the Montreal Canadians. Our team is doing great this year!

I think we'll watch *Miracle* this week!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version